Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
Check this out.  Happens at the very end.

Link
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
BRAZILLIAN JIU JITSU = BJJ = BASICALLY JUST JUDO

IT'S GOOD STUFF.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've said it once and I'll say it again...

"I ain't never seen a karate chop that would stop a bullet".
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yet another reason I would never take BJJ.  
I know four or five guys who take it and every single one has got hurt...most of them joint injuries.  Don't need that at my age, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know four or five guys who take it and every single one has got hurt...most of them joint injuries.  Don't need that at my age, thanks.

Jerry Miculek would make short work of the fastest martial artist out there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well sure, but there are times you CAN'T have a gun on you and I think it's wise to know some form of unarmed combat.  Just not one that gets you dislocated shoulders, torn ACLs, broken ribs, etc...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well sure, but there are times you CAN'T have a gun on you and I think it's wise to know some form of unarmed combat.  Just not one that gets you dislocated shoulders, torn ACLs, broken ribs, etc...

Yeah, but BJJ is one of the most effective forms of self-defense in an unarmed, one-on-one situation.   (I've yet to see it used effectively against multiple attackers).  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but BJJ is one of the most effective forms of self-defense in an unarmed, one-on-one situation.   (I've yet to see it used effectively against multiple attackers).  

The Army seems to agree with the above - they went and based their unarmed combatives program on BJJ...

And yes, people do get joint injuries from it...  For a system that (at lower levels) is based entirely on joint manipulations & chokes, it's easy to see why...

On a side note, combatives practice allways makes for a good workout... A few minutes of fighting leaves me far more 'beat' than a few minutes of calesthenics....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a friend that used to be a power lifter and body builder. He started taking BJJ several years back and seriously got into it. He made a conscious effort not to use his strength against his weaker opponents; this forced him to concentrate on technique.

But he had a problem. At 230-240 pounds (very low body fat) he would get winded very quickly. So he lost weight. I think he’s at about 180 now, still has most of his strength, and doesn’t get winded nearly as quickly.

I’ve picked up a few basic techniques from him. The real big use for BJJ is when you don’t want to actually hurt the person you are fighting. People get drunk and belligerent, I don’t know how many times I’ve had to deal with friends who are angry drunks. You can’t just shoot them, well you can but it puts a damper on the friendship when they sober up. Some basic Jujitsu can really help you control the situation.

For police I can see where it would be essential.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My point is, pushing 40 I have enough joint issues from regular wear and tear.  I ain't gonna have to worry about being able to defend myself in unarmed combat if I blow out my knee...I can just hit him with my fucking cane!  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#12]
This Guy eats BJJ guys for breakfast
BoB Sapp
^^^^ I love in this video at 2:58 He gets really pissed off his opponent and mayhem ensues
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BoB Sapp
^^^^ I love in this video at 2:58 He gets really pissed off his opponent and mayhem ensues

Not quite.  Bob Sapp lost to Antonio Nogueira, a BJJ fighter, in Pride-Shockwave.  Nogueira is about 140 pds lighter than Sapp, but Sapp succumbed to an arm bar.

Link to Nogueira
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not quite.  Bob Sapp lost to Antonio Nogueira, a BJJ fighter, in Pride-Shockwave.  Nogueira is about 140 pds lighter than Sapp, but Sapp succumbed to an arm bar.

Link to Nogueira

Anybody have a downloadable video of this.  I cannot imagine how unarmed mortal would defeat Bob Sapp, but would love to see it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BoB Sapp

He looks more like a brawler  then someone trained in bjj. 90%of the time he just throws around his size and does wild punching combos... i wasnt very impressed to say the least.  Not saying he couldnt take me most likely, just that he looks like a brawler.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

IT'S GOOD STUFF.

Jujitsu of any type is not "basically just judo".  Judo is a recreational sport based on the martial art of Jujitsu.  Sorry - it is a pet peeve of mine.

I agree that JJ of any kind is good stuff - especially the BJJ or GJJ stuff out there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link to Nogueira

Anybody have a downloadable video of this.  I cannot imagine how unarmed mortal would defeat Bob Sapp, but would love to see it.

Ask and ye shall receive.  It's a bit choppy, but you get the point.  For the uneducated, Sapp slapping the leg at the end means he is giving up rather to have his elbow dislocated.

Link
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#18]
He looks like a big man but a poor fighter. Generally I have not been impressed with any pride fighters that I have seen. Maby someone can elaborate but I must say most seem sub-par
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Sapp is vulnerable to the better strikers in Pride.  He's been pummled into submission numerous times.  I believe Cro-Cop was one of them.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BoB Sapp

He looks more like a brawler  then someone trained in bjj. 90%of the time he just throws around his size and does wild punching combos... i wasnt very impressed to say the least.  Not saying he couldnt take me most likely, just that he looks like a brawler.

My thoughts exactly. How big is this guy?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sapp is vulnerable to the better strikers in Pride.  He's been pummled into submission numerous times.  I believe Cro-Cop was one of them.  

Yeah, I think Crocop literally broke bones in his face.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

IT'S GOOD STUFF.

Not even really the same, yes there are similarities but.......JUDO is mostly throwing and pins which BJJ is not. I have been doing a diffrent style of jiu-jitsu that IS very much like judo, however BJJ is in a diffrent class of its own. JUDO actually comes from jiu-jitsu.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember an instructor saying that he could defeat anyone with any weapon while he only used his bare hands.  When challenged, he said to meet at gate 3 of the United Airlines terminal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
He looks like a big man but a poor fighter. Generally I have not been impressed with any pride fighters that I have seen. Maby someone can elaborate but I must say most seem sub-par

There are a few that are "subpar", but there is a huge amount of world-class talent that has been in Pride, including:  Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Fedor Emelianenko (sp?), Mirko Crocop Filipovic, Wanderlei Silva, Vitor Belfort, Guy Mezger, Carlos Newton, Kaushi Sakuraba, Ken Shamrock, Kevin Randleman, etc.  

I can honestly say that I would never want to have to fight anyone who has appeared in Pride.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#26]
You want to see some great fights and fan made highlight video of fighters go on Subfighter.com.They have a multimedia section that is unbelieavable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
watching both video's, part of Sepp's video was part of his fight with Nogueria - it didn't show him loosing however.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
watching both video's, part of Sepp's video was part of his fight with Nogueria - it didn't show him loosing however.

It was some good editing.  As a previous poster stated, Nogueira took a lot of punishment before submitting Sapp with the armbar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It was some good editing.  As a previous poster stated, Nogueira took a lot of punishment before submitting Sapp with the armbar.

ETA:  Holy double bat-post.  How did that happen?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Did it show him tightening?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IT'S GOOD STUFF.

Not even really the same, yes there are similarities but.......JUDO is mostly throwing and pins which BJJ is not. I have been doing a diffrent style of jiu-jitsu that IS very much like judo, however BJJ is in a diffrent class of its own. JUDO actually comes from jiu-jitsu.

No expert here, but from when I've been looking at various martial arts type activities to get involved in,

xxx-DO = art/sport/exercise  See Judo, Kendo, etc.

xxx-JITSU/xxx-JUTSU = combat  See Jujitsu, Kenjutsu, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top