Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 10:18:59 AM EDT

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2006/02/28/students_to_pay_for_massive_food_fight?mode=PF

Students to pay for massive food fight
February 28, 2006

CHESTERTON, Ind. --A massive middle school food fight left several students suspended and the eighth-grade class footing the cleaning bill that included the cost of scraping mashed potatoes off the ceiling.

Last week's fight at Chesterton Middle School left ceiling tiles damaged and could cost the students as much as $1,000 to pay for overtime, maintenance and repairs, said Duneland School Corporation Superintendent Dirk Baer.

"It wasn't just one or two kids throwing grapes," Baer said. "There were mashed potatoes sticking to the ceiling."

Security cameras captured the fracas that broke out about halfway through the 25-minute lunch period Wednesday at the school in the town 15 miles east of Gary.

The school suspended between six and 10 students for two or three days for launching the day's menu of chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes and milk into the air.

As many as 50 students might have been involved. Principal Jim Ton recommended one student be expelled.

Cleaning costs will be taken from the eighth grade's extracurricular activity fund.

Baer said the whole class was punished because many of the grade's 500 students knew about plans for the food fight but failed to alert administrators.

"It was planned and it was widely known that it would happen, but nobody said anything," Baer said. "Everybody has to take responsibility."

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Should have made the little bastards clean it themselves.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds like good clean fun!  no one got hurt.  heck just make a day of saturday school and have the class clean it up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Watch for protesting parents.

How DARE the school teach our kids to take responsibility for their actions?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Watch for protesting parents.

+1. Parents raise worthless little cock suckers, than go on a rampage when authority figures punish them.

Their fucking parents should be down at the school cleaning up after their little asshole brats as well. They might not think it's quite OK the next time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Take it from the "activity fund" huh?  So they'll have one or two less assemblies to listen to a BS motivational speaker in the gym that year?  Big whoop.  They don't seem to do field trips anymore.

I say make the students involved do all the school's janitorial work for a little while.  See how they like cleaning toilets.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#7]
That seems to the the (stupid) pattern in schools these days, punish everyone for the acts of a few, because they don't have the balls to actually point out and punish the few that actually do the deed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Honestly, 500 12 year olds could keep a secret? I dont think so.

Yeah, im sure they broke some rules, but damage to tiles? $1,000? Just get their asses there after school to clean it, and write an apology.

Sounds like the principle needs to spend more time with the students.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Honestly, 500 12 year olds could keep a secret? I dont think so.

Yeah, im sure they broke some rules, but damage to tiles? $1,000? Just get their asses there after school to clean it, and write an apology.

Sounds like the principle parents needs to spend more time with the students.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1.

I've been caught in a number of foodfights in my life. I hate those damned things. Waste of food, lack of discipline.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
sounds like good clean fun!  no one got hurt.  heck just make a day of saturday school and have the class clean it up.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The school suspended between six and 10 students for two or three days for launching the day's menu of chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes and milk into the air.

What the hell kind of reportin is that? Between 6 and 10? Either they know how many students they suspended, or they don't.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was in JR High (what they called middle school back then) we got swats with the big old wooden paddle when we acted up. We need some more of that I think.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Foooood Fiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought it said Brits at first!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Good thing MagKnightX wasn't there, he woulda called the cops...
...!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

That's a fact! Making those little angels actually work would have hurt them more than socking a class account that most of them don't contribute to anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top