Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2003 10:32:40 AM EDT
Okay for something different and to be a companion to my the first pistol I owned (a 44 mag revolver). I was thinking about getting a 44 mag levergun.

I'm having a hard time deciding which one I should get, and I figured some folks here would probably have some knowledge in this Area.

I'm looking at a Winchester model 94 trapper w/ 16 in barrel for $343.67.

Or a Marlin 1894P carbine for $399.00.

Which do you recommend and are the prices right for NIB guns?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:36:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 10:37:24 AM EDT by Roadhawk]
I have a Marlin 30-30 and I absolutely love that gun.  I was going to buy a Winchester 94, but when I put the two guns side by side I thought the Marlin had more detail and a cleaner look.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:40:00 AM EDT
I only have personal experience with the Marlin.  Overall, nice rifle that handles and shoots as well as lever action rifles do.  If you shoot cast bullets, you may want to shy away from the Marlin due to the micro-groove rifling.  Only other item I could remember about it was that mine wasn't real smooth on chambering a round.  The flat nosed bullets tended to "bump" against something making me have give the lever a funny jerk to chamber the round.  More of an annoyance than anything.  I had orginally planned on installing a rear peep sight on mine but sold it before that happened.

Sorry, but I have not fired the Winchester chambered for pistol cartridges so I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:40:43 AM EDT
If you can swing it, go for a Marlin SS Guide Gun in .45-70
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:40:59 AM EDT
I own a Winchester Model 94 Trapper 16" in 44 Mag.

GREAT GUN!!

You get 9 shots, which is much better than the 4 you get with the 30-30.

44 mag is cheaper than 30-30.

pretty darn accurate at 50 yards.  have not tried shooting it at 100.

Its a great gun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:41:35 AM EDT
Lever guns and .22's are the things Marlin does well.  My brother has a .357/.38 lever gun and it's very nice, fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:49:25 AM EDT
I like the Winchester's but they seemed a little awkward to me in the store.

I chose a Marlin and would do so again every time a lever gun is on the selection list.

I had one in 444 Marlin, but have found the 458 SOCOM in the AR platform to fill that niche in my lineup.

Good luck.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:52:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

GREAT GUN!!

Its a great gun.
View Quote

I like mine too.  My son killed his first deer with at age 12.  I can hit paper plates at 100 yards, but thats about it.  Good truck rifle too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:05:32 AM EDT
Had a Marlin 30-30 about 15 years ago, wish I'd never sold it.  I am hoping to replace it in the next few months with a Marlin 45/70.  The fit and finish seems to just be better to me than with the Winchester.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:09:25 AM EDT
All my lever guns are Marlin.

I would go with them.  Marlin makes a great lever gun.  .44mag and 30-30 I have now, and I see a 45-70 in my future...  [:)]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:11:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:12:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
I like the Winchester's but they seemed a little awkward to me in the store.

I chose a Marlin and would do so again every time a lever gun is on the selection list.

I had one in 444 Marlin, but have found the 458 SOCOM in the AR platform to fill that niche in my lineup.

Good luck.....
View Quote

[dumb question]
I've been considering a lever gun in 444 Marlin, and I was wondering if it's ok to use .44 mag ammo in it.  If so, is it a last-ditch-don't-do-it-on-a-regular-basis thing?
I can see problems like an inch of dead space before the rifling and buildup in the front of the chamber.

If you could use it regularly for cheap practice ammo, that would be cool.
[/dumb question]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:15:27 AM EDT
Have you considered a [url=http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6301&return=Y]Ruger Deerfield Carbine[/url]?  It's semi-auto, not lever, but it's an option.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:17:05 AM EDT
Thanks everyone.

The Marlin does seem to be well made. But I've also heard this it is finicky with feeding and it has the slower twist barrel.

I haven't got to handle a trapper yet, but from what I hear the quality isn't as good but the barrel might be more accurate in that caliber.

I'm leaning towards the Winchester because it's $60 less for a gun that will probably do everything I want it to.

But like everyone is saying the Marlin is really well built. It's a tough call.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:18:25 AM EDT
I`ve had a Winchester 94 Trapper for 7 years now. Shoots great at 50 yards but I don`t think I`ve ever tried it at 100 yards.
I was trying to decide between 30-30 and 44mag. I got the 44mag. I think that the gun is overall better in 44, mainly because it holds 9+1, where as the 30-30 holds 5+1. Get one you won`t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:19:42 AM EDT
GREAT GUN!!
Its a great gun.
View Quote

Same here, except mine's a .45 Colt.
Very fun gun to shoot - and it's pretty dang accurate, too.
The guy that sold it to me had just gotten it on trade and never shot it before he let it go.  He's been begging for it back ever since....
CR
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:21:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By kill-9:
Have you considered a [url=http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=6301&return=Y]Ruger Deerfield Carbine[/url]?  It's semi-auto, not lever, but it's an option.
View Quote

Yes that's a sweet gun. I also considered the Ruger 96/44.

But I [b]think[/b] I want the classic levergun look.

I think a SS one would be really nice too.

Wow, there are a lot of fans of the Marlin, maybe you guys are swaying me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:33:13 AM EDT
Ive got a 45-70 marlin GG. I love it.

I dont know about the Winchester....do'nt the shells eject out of the top?  I don't think I'd like that.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:34:50 AM EDT
I have both in .44MAG (as well as both in 30-30) and like both.  I've never had problems out of either - the Winchesters have more appeal to me aesthetically (personal preference) but I shoot better with the Marlins.  The obvious end result - the Winchesters stay clean & pretty on the wall and the Marlins go into the field.  My best neighbor & shooting buddy (I defer to his superior knowledge of "hunting guns" as he does to mine of handguns & "black rifles") swears that the Marlins are built better & last longer, but I notice he has a Winchester or two among all of his Marlins, so ???.

I frequently carry a .44 revolver/carbine combo while roaming my property - I think you will like the utility of the matched pair.  Let us know what you get.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 11:47:33 AM EDT by HardShell]
Originally Posted By HillBillySasquatch:
Ive got a 45-70 marlin GG. I love it.

I dont know about the Winchester....do'nt the shells eject out of the top?  I don't think I'd like that.

-HS
View Quote

They do come out of the "top," but they eject to the right at an angle.  (IIRC, some older models didn't have the Angle Eject feature?)

Of course, [s]current[/s] [b]recent[/b] models also [s]have[/s] [b]had[/b] that rebounding crossbar safety that many find very annoying...

correction:
[b]OOPS![/b]  Apparently there has been a change since I last shopped for one - according to their website, the CURRENT Winchesters have the safety relocated to the tang - an improvement IMO...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:45:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HardShell:
I have both in .44MAG (as well as both in 30-30) and like both.  I've never had problems out of either - the Winchesters have more appeal to me aesthetically (personal preference) but I shoot better with the Marlins.  The obvious end result - the Winchesters stay clean & pretty on the wall and the Marlins go into the field.  My best neighbor & shooting buddy (I defer to his superior knowledge of "hunting guns" as he does to mine of handguns & "black rifles") swears that the Marlins are built better & last longer, but I notice he has a Winchester or two among all of his Marlins, so ???.

I frequently carry a .44 revolver/carbine combo while roaming my property - I think you will like the utility of the matched pair.  Let us know what you get.
View Quote

So would you say one is more accurate than the other or that you just shoot one better?

Does the Marlin have an 8 or 9 shot tube?

I would be shooting cast bullets for plinking, would one be suited better for this (as mentioned before)?

Thanks again everyone.

I called my gunshops and learned nothing.

I searched the internet for hours and learned a fair amount.

I posted this thread, and have learned in 20 min what I learned on the internet and then some!

This site is a valuable resource.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:45:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 12:03:48 PM EDT by imposter]
I have been thinking about getting the same gun.  I used to have a 94 30/30 and, not really having a use for the thing, sold it.  The action was pretty rough, but it would probably have loosened up with use.  It was wonderfully light and handy.  Very nice looking too.  It didn't seem to be accuate, but I was a pretty lousy shot back then.

I think the 94 Trapper in 44 would be a dandy little gun to take hiking.  Innocuous, compact, high capacity and powerful.

The Marlins seem less rough, but they are heavier and bulkier.  If I wanted a handy carbine, I'd get the Winchester.  If I wanted an accurate and smooth functioning rifle, I'd wonder why the hell I was even thinking about a lever action.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 12:08:31 PM EDT by HardShell]
Originally Posted By Ridge:
...So would you say one is more accurate than the other or that you just shoot one better?

Does the Marlin have an 8 or 9 shot tube?

I would be shooting cast bullets for plinking, would one be suited better for this (as mentioned before)?...
View Quote

I would rather blame me than the rifles - it is probably a function of the stocks & my own personal shooting style, so that would probably vary from one shooter to another.  I sure wouldn't surmise that the Winchesters are less accurate in general just because I don't shoot them as well... [:D]

The current Marlin catalog only lists their 20" barrel rifles, which have 10-round full-length magazines.  I thought they made a 16" barrel model, but I don't see it currently listed - that may be your deciding factor right there, if you prefer the "Trapper" size.

My aforementioned neighbor is the reloader - I'd have to ask him the cast bullet question.  But I bet someone else here can answer that.

One more thing, just in case you would ever scope this carbine:  one of the reasons my neighbor cites for preferring the Marlins is that they have a more stable platform for mounting a scope.  IMO that is much more of an issue on a higher-powered hunting levergun than a pistol-caliber plinker like you're considering - but I must admit that one of my .44s has a low-power scope (the other has a peep-sight, which I highly recommend), so...

edited to add:
I'm starting to sound like Columbo here, but one more thing:  for plinking, I use my neighbor's .44SPL (not MAG) handloads and get an extra round (maybe two in the 20" models)  in the magazine tube.  Shooting .44MAGs out of these guns is not at all unpleasant - but shooting mild .44SPL paper-puncher handloads is like shooting .22s...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:09:37 PM EDT
Yep. The 16 inch Marlins have been discontinued. There is a store here that has one left for $399.00

I double checked myself. The Marlin is 8+1 and the Winchester is 9+1. The Marlin is 1 inch shorter and .25 lbs lighter (from the specs) than the trapper. Hmmmm (the size and wieght is making the marlin appealing, but I like the extra round).

Good point about the scope. I'm pretty sure I want to keep this thing scopeless.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:09:53 PM EDT
I've owned 2 Marlins and they worked flawlessly. One was a 336C that I put look through mounts and a 4X scope. Always wanted one in 357 or 44 mag looks like you started something here as I have been toying with the idea of getting another lever gun. BobK
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:15:07 PM EDT
i have a winchester trails end in 357 mag, very nice gun. holds 11. has the new tang saftey. Ronald
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:17:21 PM EDT
Love my Marlin 45-70.

Pumpkin throwers unite!

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:19:03 PM EDT
I just bought a marlin 450 to take to Alaska for my guide gun.
[URL]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=14753446[/URL]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:20:59 PM EDT

In my experience, the Marlins typically have better triggers (less creep, crisper release) than the Winchesters.

DrMark
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:21:02 PM EDT
If you can find the older model trapper before they added the cross bolt safety, those models have a much, much better trigger.  They are drying up though.
Overall, Marlin makes a far superior lever gun and it is American made.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:25:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kyreb:
Overall, Marlin makes a far superior lever gun and it is American made.
View Quote

Intersting that you posted about Marlin lever actions for your [b]Post 336 of 336[/b]...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:27:10 PM EDT
... Steer clear of lever-actions. They'll just migrate their way to the back of your safe and take up precious space needed for real rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:30:49 PM EDT
The Marlin 44 mag uses a 1 in 38 twist "standard" style rifling. The microgroove style is no longer used. The Winchester uses a 1 in 26 rifling. The only difference in twist rates is that the Marlin's slower twist is supposed to have more trouble with bullets over 300 grains. In real world testing, reloaders have not had problems with 1 in 38 twists up to 330 cast loads and even using microgroove rifling as long as the proper sized and quality bullets were used.

The Marlin will be MUCH easier and better to mount a scope to if you want. If you want to use ghost ring peep sights, the mounting options and type availability is better with the Marlin. The Winchester looks more traditional and is probably a bit sleeker. The fit and finish (both wood and metal) of the Winchester is no where near as good as the Marlin from the store examples I have seen (and I also own both).

My Winchester gives me troubles while my Marlin always works great. The action is MUCH easier on the Marlin due to the "up" lever stroke of chambering a round versus the Winchester's "down" stroke. Basically, when working the action with authority, the Marlin's is much easier on the hands.

The Marlin allows EASY bolt/lever removal for cleaning from the breach with the removal of one screw. You CANNOT clean from the breach  with a rod on the Winchester without "complicated" disassembly.  This is a BIG deal. You can use a bore snake in the Winchester, but it never takes the place of a good rod and brush cleaning which you WILL be doing from the muzzle end of the Winny cause it's a pain to take apart.

If you drop either in the mud with a closed action, the Winny will get much more crap in it. The wood is skinnier on the Winny, but you get nice checkering (and nicer wood from the store samples I've seen) on the Marlin.

"My" Marlin is more accurate than my Winny, but I spend more time with the Marlin.

As for the 444p (which I also have and a 45/70 guide gun), yes you can shoot 44 mag in an emergency with 6-8" groups as 50 yards (yes I tried), but it ruins the brass, and you will eventually mess up the throat/shoulder area of the barrel. I only tried some with standard factory 44 mag loads as hot 44 mag loads might blow the brass as it bulges so much. You can only do one in the chamber and one in the feed tube or it will jam badly :-)!

I whole heartedly recommend a new Marlin over a new Winchester for quality and afore mentioned reasons.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:38:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21:
If you can swing it, go for a Marlin SS Guide Gun in .45-70
View Quote

Ditto.

Three weeks back I took a six point bull at 50 yards with my Guide Gun.  He never knew what hit him.  He went down like he was hit with a Mack truck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:46:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... Steer clear of lever-actions. They'll just migrate their way to the back of your safe and take up precious space needed for real rifles.
View Quote

I actually thought about this. But I have one of each and I don't have a levergun. With a large emphasis on black rifles.

The way I figure it, even if I don't shoot it much, it will be a lot handier to strap on a backpack and would be a good short range brush gun, if I get the urge/or need to go deer hunting again.  I think I will put it to good use. I hope. [:D]

Excellent post Xer0.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:58:01 PM EDT
From a limited perspective.

The Win 94s were made for a rifle length cartridge and when used with pistol length cartridges they have a little less smooth action.  Win 92s were based on a cartridge length action and can be great right out of the box.  Some need action jobs.  (My family has several 92s and 94s in various calibers)

Marlins get great praise on the SASS (Single Action Shooting society) forums.  I however have seen several jams with Marlins and none with Winnies.

Both can be finicky when using 38s in one that likes 357s and vice versa.  (or using 44 Spcls in a 44 mag or 45 Schofield in a 45 Colt, etc)Some take and feed anything.

USE FLATNOSE BULLETS.  Those will keep you from setting off correctly set primers in the mag tube.  High primers - well you take your chances.

The crossbolt safety versions are not appreciated by the cowboy shooters and on the used market are cheaper than the non-safetied versions.  If you are looking for a hunting gun, it probably shouldn't matter to you.

And of course the most important reason for making a decision - John Wayne never used no Maarlin!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:30:50 PM EDT
I have a cowboy Marlin in .44mag and it shoulders really well.  Nothing against Winchester but I would opt for the Marlin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:47:17 PM EDT
My understanding is that the Marlin is the better gun, but I have a Big Ring .44 mag Winchester, with the nasty cross bolt.
What can I say? My buddy and I were on a "pumpkin gun" lever action kick at the time, and this used but almost new '94 was sitting on the table at the gun show.
We agreed on a price, and I spent that summer and fall happily shooting "man-eating" squash and pumpkins from my garden with it, having a ball and not regreting it once. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:53:12 PM EDT
45-70 marlin guide gun
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:13:41 PM EDT
Go to a shop. Pick up both rifles. Throw them to your shoulder, work the action, feel the trigger. Then take home your Marlin.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:47:10 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting one in .45lc to go along with my revolver
so many guns, so little time/money
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:38:56 PM EDT

GREAT GUN!!

Its a great gun.
View Quote

I like my 44 mag Winchester.  I have a Ruger No1 for the 45-70.  Single shot works good on that caliber.  Dad loved his 30-30 Marlin lever action. Saw some Henry 1866 stuff on the History Channel recently.  Now I am saving for another lever action model...  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:59:57 PM EDT
If you do not buy the Marlin 1894P, please tell me where it is as I have been looking for an unmodified one for a while.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:14:38 PM EDT
Check out [url] http://www.leverguns.com [/url]

Paco Kelly is the man to ask on leverguns.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:25:35 PM EDT
fizassist- I have shot .44 special single shot style in a .444marlin. I was grouping about 10" at a hundred yards and was amazed at the power the special had out of a 16" barrel at 100 yards. But definitely just a plinking round. I shot hundreds of rounds and never noticed any problems when I went back to .444.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:38:00 PM EDT
I don't have either of the models you are inquiring about, but in my experience, the quality of the Marlin rifles of recent manufacture, have been superior to most of the Winchesters.  Just operate the lever of both in the gun shop and look at the quality of the wood and the wood/metal fit and you'll see what I mean. Don't know about the twist of both barrels, and what 44 ammo works the best in either gun.

Go to Marlin's website and ask advice there too in their forums.

Maybe you should solve your problem and buy both![:D]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2003 9:14:38 PM EDT by Ridge]
I'd love to buy both, and check em out! But the last time I did that I promised the wife that I would get rid of one of the guns. Guess what, I still have it [:D]

Okay, I think I've pretty much decided on the Marlin for the following reasons.

A quarter pound lighter than the 94 and an inch shorter. I like the handiness.

I have no real need to shoot any heavier bullets than 320 gr. Which from my research so far, says that's about the limit.

The micogroove rifling is okay for cast bullets. Maybe softer lead will be slightly less accurate, but I don't care for plinking. I'll use jacketed when it counts (leading is not a problem if you are pushing velocity).

The 1894p seems to be a really rare bird that is hard to find, it is a unique gun.

Of course the quality of the rifle as everyone has suggested.

I like the ability to be able to clean and take it apart easier.

Sorry KY-Bob I think I'm going to snatch this one up.

If all goes well I'll have it tomorrow and I'll let you all know, and post a pic. mrstang01, There was a great article on leverguns.com that kind of pushed it over the top for me.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:07:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 4:08:20 AM EDT by KY-Bob]
Originally Posted By Ridge:

The micogroove rifling is okay for cast bullets. Maybe softer lead will be slightly less accurate, but I don't care for plinking. I'll use jacketed when it counts (leading is not a problem if you are pushing velocity).
View Quote

The 1894P has cut or "Ballard" rifling. No worries about lead bullets at all. [:)]

The 1894p seems to be a really rare bird that is hard to find, it is a unique gun.
Sorry KY-Bob I think I'm going to snatch this one up.

View Quote

Smart move, you will not regret it. Mine loves Hornady XTP 240 grainers. The are some really nice bullets available from National Bullet that it also loves. Of course if you don't reload then none of this will matter.

Have fun,

Bob
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:58:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PaDanby:
Marlins get great praise on the SASS (Single Action Shooting society) forums.  I however have seen several jams with Marlins and none with Winnies.
View Quote

My family shoots over 30,000 rounds a year in Cowboy Shooting competition.
We shoot Marlins in .357mag and .45Colt.

I have seen a BUNCH of Winchester malfunctions in both 92 and 94 models.
As previously stated, the Winchester 94 is designed for rifle length cartridges and is "finicky" when the pistol length cartridges are used.
If you want a 94, stay with the long cartridge chambering.
Winchester 92's and the clones of 92's are nice but can also be finicky with bullet style and overall catridge length.

Many Marlins chambered in .357 mag will feed 38 Special's just fine as long as the overall length of the catridge is the same as a standard 158gr round nose lead factory cartridge.
But unfortunately....a few won't and lead to a good jam that requires removing a screw for the lever and removing all catridges from the magazine.
My Marlin Cowboy in .45 Colt went over 50,000 rounds before a small part broke requiring a $35 repair.

I also shoot a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 with a tang site.....it'll throw a 405gr slug out to 500 yards VERY WELL!

I've seen a bunch of lever action rifles in action......MARLIN gets my vote!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:38:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 6:27:05 AM EDT by DzlBenz]
I've been considering a lever gun for some time. Unfortunately, I've had some difficulty navigating Marlin's model names. So, I put together this abbreviated chart that lists the basics for the Marlin Lever Guns. Please note that this list was compiled for my own use. YMMV.

Marlin Centerfire Lever Guns
Model - Caliber - Magazine - Bbl/OAL - Wt - Comments
Model 336 - Curved Stock
336Y - .30-30 – 5  - 16.5”/34” – 6.5 - Youth
336SS - .30-30 – 6 – 20”/38.5” – 7.0 – Stainless
336C - .30-30/.35 Rem – 6 – 20”/38.5” – 7.0 - Blue
336CC - .30-30 – 6 – 20” – 7.0 – Camo
336W - .30-30 – 6 – 20”/38.25” – 7.0 – Gold Plated Trigger (?)
336A - .30-30 – 6 – 20”/38.25” – 7.0 – Stripped-down 336C

Model 1894 - Straight Stock unless noted
1894PG - .44RemMag/.44Spl – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 – Ballard rifling, 336-style stock
1894FG - .41RemMag – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 - 336-style stock
1894SS - .44RemMag/.44Spl – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.0 – Stainless 1894PG, Ballard rifling
1894C - .357Mag/.38Spl – 9 – 18.5”/36” – 6.0 – Ballard rifling

Cowboy Guns - Straight Stock
1894CBC (38 Spl) - .38Spl – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard
1894CBC (45 LC) - .45LC – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard
1894 Cowboy - .45LC – 10 – 24”/41.5” – 7.0 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard
1894 Cowboy - .357Mag/.38Spl – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard
1894 Cowboy - .44RemMag/.44Spl – 10 – 20”/37.5” – 6.5 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard
1895 Cowboy - .45-70 – 9 – 26”/44.5” – 8.0 – Octagon, tapered, Ballard

Bib Bore Rifles - Straight Stock, unless noted
1895M - .450Marlin – 4 – 18.5”/37” – 7.0 – Ballard
1895MR - .450Marlin – 4 – 22”/40.5” – 7.5 – Ballard
1895G - .45-70 – 4 – 18.5”/37” – 7.0 – Guide Gun, Ballard
1895GS - .45-70 – 4 – 18.5”/37” – 7.0 – Stainless Guide Gun, Ballard
1895 - .45-70 – 4 – 22”/40.5” – 7.5 – Ballard, 336-style stock
444 - .444Marlin – 5 - 22”/40.5” – 7.5 – Ballard, 336-style stock
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2003 5:48:38 AM EDT by Rustygun]
 I've got a whole lot of leverguns both Marlin and Winchester. In the 44 mag department, the most practical, well made gun is the Marlin. It is easy to put a rear peep sight on which is really all you need on a lever. I would not be interested in the Winchester 94 in 44 mag since 44 is a bad fit to that gun's receiver.
 I hear a lot of complaining lately about Marlin's quality control on their new guns. If you hunt around a little (GunsAmerica, Gunlist) and find a clean,pre-safety Marlin, put a William's Foolproof or Ashley rear sight on it and maybe get a tigger job, you will he set up. If you choose an Ashley you will need a higher front sight.
 The Cadillac 44 lever is the Browning B92. It is a very high quality copy of the Winchester 92. They have been out of productioin for a while. They are still around but getting pricey. They come with horrible triggers usually. They also aren't drilled for any kind of peep sight.
 One thing about all the 44 carbines I have or have handled is you have to hold them very frim to get good accuracy. A lot firmer than other guns. I don't know why this is. They also kick more than you think they would.
 My Marlin and my Browning will both shoot onto 2" at 100 yards if you shoot right. The Browning is spooky accurate and I bet it would shoot MOA if you had it scoped up.
 A lot of levers don't shoot well off sandbags. If you are zeroing one, a lot of times it's best to hold the gun as if you were shooting it offhand and put the back of your hand on top of the front bag.
 You can't shoot them like a varmint gun and just let them ride the bags in recoil.
 A 44 mag lever gun is a good gun and will shoot out to 100 or 150 no problem with plentyof power for deer. A 240 Gold Dot over a top load of 296 and a standard primer is kind of like throwing a bulldozer at soemthing.
 If you want the coolest, easiest to use lever going, get the Marlin and put the Ashley Scout mount on it with the Leupold Scout scope. I have a straight grip, 18 inch barreled Marlin 30-30 set up that way and it has put my 243 and 308 into retirement almost.
 It gives you a cross hair with both eyes open "heads up" sighting, is forward mounted so the gun is still easy to carry, and the extra weight up front makes the gun hang better and keeps the gun down more during recoil.
 Everyone I hand my Scouted 30-30 to wants to buy it on the spot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top