Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 3:53:48 PM EDT
Jim Brady Appeals to NRA to Pull Ad
For Immediate Release:
10-29-2004 Contact Communications:
(202) 898-0792
Washington, D.C. – The National Rifle Association is running a television ad in multiple battleground states that is peppered with lies about Senator John Kerry, accusing the Democratic nominee of supporting a ban on hunting rifles and shotguns and a ban on bullets used to hunt deer. FactCheck.org – the website Vice President Dick Cheney touts as offering fair analysis of facts in the Presidential campaign -- says the NRA's ad "falsely accuses Kerry."

Jim Brady, the Reagan press secretary shot in the assassination attempt on the former President, urged the NRA to pull the ad. "In their television ad, the NRA is lying to the American people. That's shameful," Brady said. "In the interest of fairness, with the country facing such a close and important election, I would like to personally urge Wayne LaPierre, who my wife and I have known for many, many years, to do the right thing and take this ad off the air."

FactCheck.org summarized its findings as follows: "The National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund began airing a TV ad Oct. 26 falsely accusing Kerry of voting to ban deer-hunting ammunition. In fact, what Kerry voted for was a proposal to outlaw rifle ammunition "designed or marketed as having armor piercing capability," FactCheck.org's summary reads. "The NRA ad also claims Kerry is co-sponsoring a bill to 'that would ban every semiautomatic shotgun and every pump shotgun.' That's false. Kerry co-sponsored extension of the now-expired assault-weapon ban, a measure that would have expanded the ban to cover military-style shotguns but specifically exempts pump-action shotguns."

The complete analysis of the ad is at http://www.factcheck.org/article296.html.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
"designed or marketed as having armor piercing capability,"

And the way most hunting ammunition is designed, it will punch through a vest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It appears "factcheck" didnt check their facts very well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Second,

Kerry co-sponsored BOTH assault weapon ban renewal bills- Feinstein and Lautenberg.

The Lautenberg bill bans any frame or reciever of any s-a shotgun used by the police.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gun grabber, back stabber.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
So has anyone begun marching an e-mail campaign on factcheck.org to set them straight? Better do it before they actually convince the NRA to pull the ad.

I don;t know all the details of the issue being discussed but it sounds like some of you do and should seriously consider sending factcheck.org the information they need. I have no doubt that the NRA has done this, but given that they are the target here, anything they say to defend the issue will be twisted and distorted even further.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Because Brady is in a wheel chair he get to lie without getting called on it.
243 plus Vest equals Big friggin' hole. Same can be said for most deer and above size centerfire ammo.
Whine on Jim Brady, Whine on...
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The way these people use Jim Brady is despicable. I have no doubt that they will never tell us when he dies. They'll just have him stuffed and wheel him out whenever they need.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Gonna take a LOT of paint for that picture!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The way these people use Jim Brady is despicable. I have no doubt that they will never tell us when he dies. They'll just have him stuffed and wheel him out whenever they need.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The real question is, why is SHE opposed to Kerry banning anything related to firearms?

Isn't that her sole purpose in life?

Seems like she would want someone in the White House that has his kind of voting record and would promote him ESPECIALLY if the 'facts' were incorrect.

She's an ASS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top