http://www.bradycampaign.org/home/archives/pdf/021202.pdf

Here are some exerpts:

February 12, 2002
Public Docket Office
Department of Transportation

Re: Request for Comments, Firearms, Less-Than-Lethal Weapons, and Emergency
Services on Commercial Air Flights

The Brady Center submits these comments in response to proposals to allow
pilots to carry firearms on commercial flights. In the wake of the horror of September 11,
it is entirely appropriate to subject our air travel security system to rigorous
reexamination to ensure that airliners never again become terrorist weapons of mass
destruction. However, we have serious concerns about the wisdom of a policy that would
require, or even allow, commercial pilots to carry guns onto airliners as a means of
ensuring the security of planes and their passengers.

First, there is no question that there are risks associated with bringing a firearm
onto an airliner, even under color of legal authority. The firearm brought on board for
the use of the pilot may itself end up being used against the crew or innocent passengers.
There is a grave risk that the legal firearm brought
aboard the plane by the pilot or crew will itself be the object of a terrorist’s skyjacking
plan or even the disruptive conduct of an intoxicated or hostile passenger.
Second, it may be unwise to invest the pilot or crew, as opposed to trained law
enforcement personnel, with the responsibility for the use of lethal force in defense of the
airplane and its passengers. Even if pilots and their crew were trained in
firearms safety and use, appropriate use of force and shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, it is
difficult to imagine that their competence could approach that of trained law enforcement
personnel. School systems faced with violent acts committed by students did not respond
by arming teachers and administrators. Companies faced with the possibility of violent
acts from customers nevertheless have insisted that their employees remain “gun free”
while at work.
Third, it is problematic to implement a high-risk strategy of enabling pilots and
crew members to bring guns onto planes, when other low-risk strategies to prevent
terrorist violence are not being pursued. The highest priority of homeland security
should be prevention. In the specific context of air travel, this means intensifying
passenger and luggage screening at airports, and perhaps changing the design and
equipment of airplanes to prevent easy cockpit access for unauthorized personnel. The
threat of terrorism, however, is hardly confined to the commandeering of commercial
aircraft. In the broader societal context, homeland security also requires sensible laws
and policies to prevent terrorists from having access to guns. Guns and terrorism go
together. There are obvious and sensible
strategies that should be implemented to reduce access to guns by terrorists and criminals.
These include requiring background checks on all gun sales, retaining records of gun
purchases for law enforcement purposes and repealing senseless statutory constraints on
the regulatory and enforcement powers of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

www.sarahbradycampagin.org: Make fun of an anti; it really pisses them off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
"Trained law enforcement personnel" are far superior to anyone else. They have god like powers in the handling of firearms.  The BATF should be the only ones with firearms.  They train to use them so they can shoot crazy Christian conservative people and confiscate their guns before they cause more terrorism through their support for Israel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Dear Sarah, please hurry up and die.
you terrorist bitch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't mean to cause a rant.... but if da b'itch doesn't want firearms... how about a high powered tranquilizer gun (w/ stuff to take down an elephant)...... That way, they're down before they hit the floor.

Just hope they don't have body armor or a vest on...  Too bad the tranq guns are single shot.  Ya need an auto loader or a revolver style I think......  Or..... a low powder charge powered tranqu gun..... (great, more babbling....)

Any how.....

[pyro] (HCl, Brady types) [rocket]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
These are the same old and tiring arguments they use when they blubber about CCW.  Of course no one can say for sure what the effect of pilots arming themselves with guns will be, but the statistics for CCW laws effect on the crime rate are a good indicator that arming pilots would have a positive effect.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
The same old story. None of us common citzens need guns because we have the police to protect us. What happens at 37,000 feet when the terrorist is knocking on the cockpit door and there doesn't happen to be any police around to save us? Call 911?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The same old story. None of us common citzens need guns because we have the police to protect us. What happens at 37,000 feet when the terrorist is knocking on the cockpit door and there doesn't happen to be any police around to save us? Call 911?
View Quote

Yup.... There isn't enough 'Law Enforcement' in the country to get a 2-5 min response time.  And that would only be in the cities.  How about country folk..... call 9-1-1 and you're lucky to get a sherrif out w/ 20 min (if they're close mind you.)

I firmly believe in self reliance, be able to hold your own w/out any help.  That's one of the principals that this country was based on I'm sure.  But the 'mentality' now is, 'whine, whine, b'tch, b'tch.... oh, I can't do this, I need help' or 'You local folks don't know what you're doing.... we (ie govt). know what's good for you....'[:(!]

Don't you DARE tell me that you're planning to make my double cheese burger w/ everything illegal.....
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Dear Sarah (and fellow morons):

The terrorist is going to crash the plane and kill everyone aboard.

The Air Force has been authorized to shoot down such airplanes, killing all aboard.

The pilot can kill everyone aboard any time he or she wishes to, they are flying the airplane you dipstick.

What gives you and your fellow wimps and pussies the right to sentence me and my loved ones to only one of the three above outcomes, all of which would result in death?

BTW, is your son properly trained and qualified to use that .30-06 you bought him? He might shoot another hunter, or himself, after all. In fact, if he is as stupid as you it is only a matter of time before he blows off his own foot. He'd blow of his nards, but with your genes I am sure he does not have any.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Sarah Brady committed a [u]felony[/u] straw purchase, and should be prosecuted accordingly. That it was a "gift" buy makes no difference under the law. I would be in the pen if I'd done it, since I'm not a member of the ruling class.[:(!]
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol! This is effing ridiculous.

How could anyone even make a statement like
Even if pilots and their crew were trained in firearms safety and use, appropriate use of force and shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, it is difficult to imagine that their competence could approach that of trained law enforcement personnel..
View Quote

Let's see...this person is trained to take-off, navigate, fly and land a multimillion dollar aircraft with hundreds of peoples lives *literally* in his hands, but it's inconceivable that he could approach the competence of a cop.

wtf are they smoking over there?
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Yet more Brady stupidity.

Do they even realize that the large majority of air travellers LIKE the idea of the crew being armed?

Let them rant.  They only hurt themselves and help us by doing so.

Reassuring as these sights may be from the cabin window, [img]http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/hangar/gifa/combi/f1416_3a.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/hangar/gifa/f14/2toms37.gif[/img], I'd still like to know that the pilots can keep an intruder from taking the controls by shooting the intruder dead, if necessary.   Not with a stupid taser, but with a real gun with real bullets leaving a real dead asshole terrorist if need be.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top