Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2001 4:39:39 PM EDT
Have you seen that weird revolver in the trailers for the new  "The Mexican" movie?
It has a heart shaped cylinder that appears to rotate 180 degrees when the trigger is pulled. Looks like it was designed by a committee of non gunners. Guess I'll have to see the movie to get a better look.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes sir, I did see it...and even made Der stop to watch the commercial to ask what it was...he wasn't sure (though you only get about a 1.5 second glance at it)...

I would love to know if it is a 'dummied up' movie gun...or just a kewl/freaky old revolver...if you find out, please fill me in!!

TIA, CH

Link Posted: 3/2/2001 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is what the production notes say:

One of the most important design elements of the film was that of "The Mexican" itself. "The design of the pistol was critical because it becomes almost a character in the movie," Gore Verbinski states. "I wanted it to be unique, with a chamber in the shape of a heart, which presented some design issues. I envisioned it something like a jewel box, so you almost had the feeling that you could wind it up and it would play a little tune ... yet it can kill you."

The pistol was built by Neotek, Inc. based on an original design from the Museum of History in Mexico, as well as sketches and design concepts from Verbinski. In addition to the heart-shaped chamber, the director created the snake coming around eating the apple and, on the hammer, the man coming up the side holding the woman, so it was obvious that this was a lover's gun. Verbinski reflects, "My concept for the pistol is simply that love is worth fighting for."

Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow Jack...so, one more question...does it fire live ammo? Thanks for all the info...ch
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm.. Sounds like a nickle plated sissypistol/revolver to me. It must be a 2 shot cylinder if it really works.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top