[Last Edit: 5/30/2008 12:55:33 PM EST by Striker]
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 11:31:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 11:34:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 11:39:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By Striker:

Originally Posted By Chokey:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=713696

well I tacked mine...

ahhh, the fringe benefits of being Staff.

I'll be boycotting our drive thru Toronto this summer. Normally we go to Limerick Lake to fish for several days, but no one wants to spend the money on gas and rising lodge fees this year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 11:53:06 AM EST
I'm not Millers friend, buddy!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:04:30 PM EST
Can we just boycott all of Canada, just to be safe?
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:06:03 PM EST
Mayor Miller isn't just out to ban handguns - he wants to ban all firearm businesses and shooting ranges from Canada's largest city. Even ammunition is on his hitlist.

Just some quotes highlighting the anti-U.S. venom coming from the mayor of Toronto:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. is exporting its problem of violence to the streets of Toronto,

... this should come as no surprise, there’s a complete lack of common sense in the US and its easier for a Canadian to drive down to a place like Ohio and go to a gun show and bring it back in.

"It's a sign that the lack of gun laws in the U.S. is allowing guns to flood across the border that are literally being used to kill people in the streets of Toronto,"

There’s a heck of a lot of Americans who believe in common sense gun control. Maybe they’ll wake up and discover that they’re exporting literal death to the streets of Toronto and other Canadian cities.

The law must be changed and we have to continue to work with American mayors to stop the flow of guns across the border into Canada,

We've got ongoing work with U.S. jurisdictions and that's important as something we can do. We've ask our legal department to explore every avenue of what we can do to get at the supply of guns and ammunition.

We need to take a strong stand about it and make it a big issue between Canada and the US so the Americans choose to make a different choice about it.

I’ve lived in the States, I went to university in the States and I don’t think there’s a place for guns there either...

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:09:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2008 12:10:26 PM EST by Frost7]

well I tacked mine...

IDDQD

As far as the mayor, jeeeez, what an asshat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:10:26 PM EST
Email sent, a little different than their chain letter...

Dear Mayor Miller and Honorable Councilmembers,

I'm a responsible gun owner in America. It is my understanding that you believe that law-abiding US gun owners are to blame for crime in Canada, specifically Toronto. I'm sorry to hear that gun owners aren't welcome in your beautiful city, which I have visited several times in the past. I won't visit your city any more and won't spend my money there. I'll miss ROM.

Sincerely,

87GN
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:13:11 PM EST
As a former resident of a city that restricts firearm ownership(Chicago) and a current resident of a state that restricts and attempts to restrict firearms ownership, emails inbound.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:27:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:35:46 PM EST
Email sent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:55:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2008 12:55:58 PM EST by PreBanPatry]

and I'm not millers buddy, friend!

email sent, fuck canada! toranto!

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:00:04 PM EST
email sent.

Looks like the mayor will wind up with poutine on his face.

Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:05:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2008 1:06:39 PM EST by GR8TWYT]

Originally Posted By CanFire:
Mayor Miller isn't just out to ban handguns - he wants to ban all firearm businesses and shooting ranges from Canada's largest city. Even ammunition is on his hitlist.

Just some quotes highlighting the anti-U.S. venom coming from the mayor of Toronto:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The U.S. is exporting its problem of violence to the streets of Toronto,

... this should come as no surprise, there’s a complete lack of common sense in the US and its easier for a Canadian to drive down to a place like Ohio and go to a gun show and bring it back in.

<snippage of more bullshit>

Man are we gettin' a bad rap lately or what!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:19:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By PreBanPatry:

I won't drink any molsons or eat fake bacon.
fuck canada toronto!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:21:37 PM EST
Right on Mayor Miller's home page is a campaign for a Canada-wide handgun ban.

www.toronto.ca/mayor_miller/index.htm

Link 1

The actual petition which you can sign!!!

Not that I would recommend writing anything rude in the signature area...
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:53:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:06:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By PreBanPatry:

and 'm not his friend GUY

and I'm not his guy friend.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:08:14 PM EST
I've been planning to take the wife to Toronto this year for our anniversary.

Looks like I gotta plan someplace else.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:22:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By klutz347:

Send them an email noting this.

mayor_miller@toronto.ca, councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca, councillor_carroll@toronto.ca, councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca, councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca , councillor_kelly@toronto.ca, councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca, councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca, councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca, councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca, councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca, councillor_rae@toronto.ca, toronto@torcvb.com, accesstoronto@toronto.ca, ceo@bot.com, chair@bot.com, hlipp@bot.com, ccosta@bot.com, gstone@bot.com, admin@showmetoronto.com

If you want to get things stirred up a bit, add the tourism department emails for some other towns in Canada and get them into a competition for your erstwhile Toronto-dollars.

Tell them the town that is most vocal in its opposition to Mayor McDouchenozzle will get your visit. Heck, probably a nicer place anyway!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:26:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Merrell:
email sent.

Looks like the mayor will wind up with poutine on his face.

That guy is an asshat
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 4:03:08 PM EST
Email sent!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 4:17:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By BigBang:
Can we just boycott all of Canada, just to be safe?

Sounds good to me. I've been boycotting Canada since they decided to side with France, Germany and Saddam's Iraq on the Iraq war issue. Toronto was my favorite city to visit too.

I live 35 miles from the border and Windsor and I'll never set foot in that city again either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:20:57 PM EST
Canada should mine it's southern border to ensure that there are no illegal guns coming into the counrty-so should Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:55:19 PM EST
I live close enough to smell Toronto
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:09:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By fishy0689:
I live close enough to smell Toronto

Nasty. Toronto's air is brown.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:22:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By 87GN:
Email sent, a little different than their chain letter...

I'm a responsible gun owner in America. It is my understanding that you believe that law-abiding US gun owners are to blame for crime in Canada, specifically Toronto. I'm sorry to hear that gun owners aren't welcome in your beautiful city, which I have visited several times in the past. I won't visit your city any more and won't spend my money there. I'll miss ROM.

Sincerely,

87GN

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 9:37:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/28/2008 9:37:41 PM EST by mattja]

Send them an email noting this.

mayor_miller@toronto.ca, councillor_pantalone@toronto.ca, councillor_carroll@toronto.ca, councillor_debaeremaeker@toronto.ca, councillor_fletcher@toronto.ca , councillor_kelly@toronto.ca, councillor_lindsay_luby@toronto.ca, councillor_mammoliti@toronto.ca, councillor_mcconnell@toronto.ca, councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca, councillor_moscoe@toronto.ca, councillor_rae@toronto.ca, toronto@torcvb.com, accesstoronto@toronto.ca, ceo@bot.com, chair@bot.com, hlipp@bot.com, ccosta@bot.com, gstone@bot.com, admin@showmetoronto.com

Dear Sirs,

The wife and I had planned to visit Toronto this summer, but after reading Mayor Miller's vile anti-American and anti-gun statements, there is no way in good conscious that we can spend our tourist dollars in your city. We are spreading the word to our friends and associates WRT how your mayor feels about the United States, Americans, and our right to bear arms, and I fully expect a backlash against Toronto.

Respectively Yours,

mattja

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:47:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:40:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 7:41:01 AM EST by TheCanuck]

Originally Posted By klutz347:

May I recommend Vancouver, Calgary, Montréal or Halifax instead?

and thanks guys, keep the letter coming pls!
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:49:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 9:53:37 AM EST by silascobb]
Well here's the Mayor's "we don't care what you say" form-letter response I just got today:

I am a responsible and law-abiding firearms owner in the United States.
Recently I learned of Mayor Miller's statements and of the fact that
firearms owners are no longer welcome in the City of Toronto. I will
certainly respect Toronto's policy. I will not be visiting your city,
expending any money there, nor patronizing any of your businesses. I have
also communicated my disappointment with Toronto's policy to others, and
have encouraged them not to visit Toronto for these reasons.

As an aside, I personally take umbrage at some of the statements Mayor
Miller has directed towards Americans and America. Moreover, from personal
experience, it is not nearly as easy to obtain a firearm in the United
States as Mayor Miller seems to believe, much less by a Canadian citizen
coming across the border. Much more likely is that the criminals or those
intent on committing a crime predominately obtain their weapons illegally
(as they do here in the United States).

Sincerely,
silascobb
City, State, USA

Dear silascobb,

Thank you for writing. I will share your perspective with the Mayor.

Mayor Miller believes the staff report released this week is the logical next step in making Toronto an even safer city. Handguns are unlike anything else as they are designed and intended for one purpose: to kill people. As you may be aware, the Mayor has already publicly called for a ban on the private ownership of handguns across Canada. That call has received the support of Mayors from all over the country as well as Premier Dalton McGuinty. The Atlantic Mayors' Congress and Montreal Mayor Gerald Tremblay are among the most recent to add their support.

With that already underway, it is incumbent on the city to take whatever steps and measures are within its power to show that we are serious about attacking gun violence on all fronts. That means that gun clubs will have to vacate city property and gun manufacturers and distributors will no longer be able to establish themselves in Toronto. We cannot talk about a national handgun ban or approach our neighbours in the United States and ask them to help eliminate gun violence without showing we are willing to take whatever actions we can locally.

The City of Toronto has the right to regulate the property and civil rights aspects of firearms as they relate to the health, safety and well being of its residents. Handguns pose an increasing threat in our community that we must not ignore. The Mayor wants to ensure that the City is taking all available actions to address gun violence.

Specific areas of recommended action to be considered next week by the Executive Committee include:
* Land use restrictions affecting manufacture, assembly, warehousing, distribution and discharge of guns.
* Eliminating recreational use of firearms on City property, specifically, shooting ranges at the Don Montgomery Community Recreation Centre (former Mid-Scarborough Community Centre) and Union Station.
* Comprehensive monitoring of incidents and impacts of firearm violence and injury in Toronto. Providing social supports to break the cycle of violence.
* Intergovernmental advocacy.

The report is posted on the City's website at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/ex/agendas/2008-06-03-ex21-ar.pdf

With respect to the ban, that would be up to the Federal Government to act but Mayor Miller believes the urgency of a handgun ban and the impact it could have in Toronto are simple. We know that about a third of the guns used to commit crimes in this city were at one point legally registered. Recently, a legally registered handgun was used to murder someone on a Toronto street. But this is not just a Toronto issue. Canadian police services reported 8,105 victims of violent gun crime, ranging from assault to robbery and homicide in 2006 - a rate of almost 1 person per hour victimized by violent gun crime.

While there are no simple answers to the scourge of gun violence in all Canadian cities, the banning of private ownership of handguns would cut off supply of at least some of the weapons that are used for criminal purposes.

The handgun ban is part of the Mayor's strategy to make our safe city safer. Among the other parts of the strategy:
* There are 450 more police officers on our streets and in our neighbourhoods.
* We are addressing the root causes of violence through our Community Safety Plan.

The strategy is working. Young people in priority communities are benefitting from the creation of thousands of jobs, training and recreational opportunities. For more information on our plan for Making Our Safe City Safer Community Safer, please visit our website: www.toronto.ca/community_safety .

In Toronto, crime is down in every major category, except gun murders. For this reason, the Mayor's gun violence strategy includes:
* A handgun ban
* Tougher crime legislation for illegal gun use
* Increased anti-gun smuggling security at the Canada-U.S. border
* Stronger U.S. gun controls
* Continuation of community based prevention and youth opportunity development
* Continuation of the Toronto Anti violence Interventions Strategy (TAVIS) initiative of the Toronto Police Service

It's true that the majority of handguns used are illegally imported into the country and the Mayor has called on the Federal government to increase efforts to stem the flow at the border. The Mayor is also working with Mayors across the United States to have the federal government in that country take action on the easy availability of handguns.

I think you will agree that you cannot put a price on human life. If a handgun ban and the other measures we are taking save even one life, it will be more than worth it.

Again, thank you for sharing your point of view.
Joanne Miller
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 10:12:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 10:16:13 AM EST by NeoProtege]
My Girlfriend is from Calgary, Great city. Though it is kind of like how Austin is to the rest of Texas, or Chicago is to the rest of Illinois, it is still very nice. The rest of Alberta is absolutely wonderful. My favorite Province by far. I definitely avoid BC/Ontario/Quebec.. Just not my kind of places at all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:10:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By silascobb:
Well here's the Mayor's "we don't care what you say" form-letter response I just got today:

Sincerely,
silascobb
City, State, USA

Dear silascobb,

blah blah blah blah

I think you will agree that you cannot put a price on human life. If a handgun ban and the other measures we are taking save even one life, it will be more than worth it.

Joanne Miller

Ask her then why they don't ban cars. Certainly that will save more than one life.

What an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:24:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By silascobb:

Sincerely,
silascobb
City, State, USA

Dear silascobb,

blah blah blah blah

Joanne Miller

Ask her then why they don't ban cars. Certainly that will save more than one life.

What an idiot.

... or swimming pools, or matches, or lawn mowers, or chain saws, or bug killer, or...
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:32:17 AM EST
Those avoiding vacations in Toronto should look at Quebec City. Beautiful, historic, and they don't like Canadians either.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:51:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 7:24:00 PM EST by TheCanuck]

Originally Posted By Cut_Nail:
Those avoiding vacations in Toronto should look at Quebec City. Beautiful, historic, and they don't like Canadians either.

Not true, and they voted a couple conservative representatives in as well
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:52:17 AM EST
On second thought, write back to 'Joanne Miller' and tell her the letter wasn't addressed to her and to get her bony butt back in the kitchen.

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:06:00 PM EST
There'z no Canada like French Canada, it'z za bezt Canada in ze land.
Ze ozer Canada is hardly Canada. If you lived here for a day, you'd understand.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 12:28:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 12:29:29 PM EST by Chris_1522]
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:06:31 PM EST
Boo
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 3:57:27 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:34:14 PM EST
Email sent.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 4:43:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 4:44:44 PM EST by Skibane]
Looks like the boycott has caught someone's attention...

Tourism Boycott Urged

Gun owners strike out at Miller ban

Chris Wattie, National Post
Thursday, May 29, 2008

A group representing gun owners and sport shooters is calling for a tourism boycott of Toronto over a ban on gun clubs, ranges and firearm-related businesses proposed by Mayor David Miller.

Tony Bernardo, the director of the Canadian Institute for Legislative Action, said his group and the Canadian Shooting Sports Association will urge Canadian gun owners and their far more numerous American cousins to avoid visiting Toronto this summer.

"Do I think it's going too far? No, I don't," Mr. Bernardo said yesterday. "We have been vilely slandered by Mayor Miller and for three years we've taken the high road and…put up with it. No more."

A report to be considered by the city's powerful executive committee next week recommends closing two shooting clubs in the city, banning the sale, manufacture and distribution of firearms in city limits and a zoning bylaw to restrict the use of firearms anywhere in the city.

The Mayor defended the proposal to close the Scarborough Rifle Club and the CNRA Handgun Club, a training range for Olympic target shooter Avianna Chao to train for the upcoming Beijing games by saying the hobby posed a danger to the public.

Mr. Bernardo called that suggestion outrageous. "He's looking for a scapegoat to deflect political attention away from a drug and gangs problem," he said.

"Miller is lying to the people of Toronto because he lacks the courage to deal with Toronto's real crime problems. Well, we will not be his scapegoats … We have the economic power to hurt David Miller and we're going to do it."

Mr. Bernardo said his organization has contacted allied shooting and gun owners' groups in Europe and the U. S. urging them to support a tourist boycott of Toronto.

"There are two million law-abiding gun owners in Canada [and] 80 million more in the States," he said. "Toronto's going to lose thousands of tourists."

"If business owners in Toronto don't like that, too bad. They should go talk to David Miller about it."

The association has taken out advertisements in U. S. gun magazines promoting their boycott and has set up a Web sitewww.torontothebad.com urging visitors to "please join us in a complete boycott of Toronto." Spokesmen for the mayor were not available for comment yesterday. Mr. Miller has in the past justified a crackdown on gun owners by suggesting that legally registered often end up in the hands of criminals, usually through theft.

Toronto police would not say yesterday whether or not they track the source of firearms used to commit crimes.

But in a January, 2004, report to the Toronto police services board, the force indicated that only a small minority of what it called "crime guns" came from legal sources. Of the 183 firearms it seized in 2003 after they were used in a crime, only 16 had once been legally registered in Canada, or about 8.7%.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 5:34:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 5:44:56 PM EST by engineer2001]

Originally Posted By Frost7:

well I tacked mine...

IDDQD

www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/image.php?u=4498&dateline=1102999184

Sweet, god mode. I miss that game so much it hurts.

Why is it that mayors of big cities tend to be loons? Our own Mayor Shirley Franklin here in Atlanta is of the same lot - gun hater, blaming anyone or anything but the society that breeds the violence in the first place.

Originally Posted By TheCanuck:

Halifax for the win! While you're at it, visit the folks off the beaten path in the rest of Nova Scotia as well. We were visiting lighthouses in NS in the 90s (mid-90s, IIRC - I was about 15 at the time), and the locals were the kindest of anywhere we've been. And we've been in every one of the 48 contiguous states and everywhere in Canada east of Toronto.

The folks near Shag Harbor look at you like you're a fool if you ask exactly where the aliens crashed, though. Just a warning.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:12:54 PM EST
Pity. Toronto at least USED to be a beautiful city. I haven't been in years though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:31:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Skibane:

But in a January, 2004, report to the Toronto police services board, the force indicated that only a small minority of what it called "crime guns" came from legal sources. Of the 183 firearms it seized in 2003 after they were used in a crime, only 16 had once been legally registered in Canada, or about 8.7%.

But who cares about numbers, let's blame gun owners!

Fucking commie liberals. I hope they die in a fiery blaze!
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:34:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By engineer2001:

Originally Posted By Frost7:

well I tacked mine...

IDDQD

www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/image.php?u=4498&dateline=1102999184

Halifax for the win! While you're at it, visit the folks off the beaten path in the rest of Nova Scotia as well. We were visiting lighthouses in NS in the 90s (mid-90s, IIRC - I was about 15 at the time), and the locals were the kindest of anywhere we've been. And we've been in every one of the 48 contiguous states and everywhere in Canada east of Toronto.

The folks near Shag Harbor look at you like you're a fool if you ask exactly where the aliens crashed, though. Just a warning.

I've been to Halifax once before, and I loved it. I fell in love with that city from the get go, and I wasn't even drinking age then

If you wanna visit Montréal, let me know, I'll play your guide for yor stay We gone eat good and party hard
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:13:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Skibane:

But who cares about numbers, let's blame gun owners!

Fucking commie liberals. I hope they die in a fiery blaze!

Boiling oil FTMFW!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:17:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/29/2008 11:20:52 PM EST by Pudwak]

If you are planning to vacation in Canada, specifically Ontario this summer..boycott Toronto and be sure to let the city council know why!

torontothebad.com/

Mayor Miller has no idea how to properly deal with crime in the city so he's going after an easy target. Law abiding handgun owners.

We would really appreciate e-mails from our fellow American gun owners.
Maybe when they realize the financial impact this asinine idea will have on tourism they will go away.

As if they don't dump on your gun rights enough already. I'm a regular visitor to the "Great White North" Ontario specifically. I really don't do Toronto, but I will send an Email to them anyway (Telling them my regular Toronto trips are now canceled;)) I tried to read the national laws for you guys and had a (stress) headache within minuets.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:32:46 PM EST
Sent the email. Hope it counts from someone with a complete lack of common sense

To clarify the dispute regarding the guy/friend/buddy issue,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkN8XsYtJI
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top