Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 5:21:10 AM EDT
How do I debate the antis when they have stuff like this to use?

Boy accidentally shoots, kills 3-year-old sister, Chicago police say
By Associated Press, 7/1/2002 13:14
CHICAGO (AP) A 6-year-old boy playing with his grandfather's handgun accidentally shot and killed his 3-year-old sister, police said.

The shooting happened Sunday evening after the children's mother stepped out of the room, police said.

The girl climbed the headboard of a bed, found the gun in its case and removed it, police said. Her brother took it away from her and was playing with it when it discharged, striking the girl in the head, police said.

The coroner's office pronounced her dead at the scene.

Police have ruled the shooting accidental and no charges will be filed.

The gun will not be returned to the grandfather because it was unregistered and he did not have a valid Illinois firearm owner ID card, police said.

The grandfather told police he had the gun because of several break-ins at the grocery store he operates, police Capt. Fred Konet said. The family lives in an apartment above the grocery, Konet said.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Unsafe practices will get you hurt, reguardless if it's a car or gun.
Not to be rude, but did you really need me to tell you that?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
How about each day in Chicago one woman is raped at knife point.  1/3 of them is murdered.

Accidental shooting have been declining for a decade.  This recent accidental shooting is an exception not the rule.

Shok
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:58:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, I guess I know that unsafe practices will get you hurt or killed. I bought my father a "mini-vault" gun safe to put his nightstand weapon in. I had worried that one of my little ones would happen accross his weapon some day. It seems that no matter how well you teach kids, they still make mistakes. That's a mistake that I can't afford. Weapons secured but accessable to the owner, problem solved.

I'll remember the stats on the crimes against unarmed victims.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You can debate the anti's on this.  Tell them that GRANDPA should go to jail for not locking up his gun.  I don't think guns need to be locked at all times, I keep mine unlocked because I don't have any rugrats running around my house.  However, if I did have kids or whenever I have company over, I lock em up.

The bottom line is this.  A gun is not an animate object.  Grandpa is 100% at fault in this case, as you are responsible for your own firearms, unless they are stolen from you.

It's cliche but, guns dont kill people, people kill people.

MG
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
That's too bad what happened, I feel sorry for the boy having to go through life with that on his shoulders. But who's to blame but the Grandfather. Too bad also that the poor judgement and carelessness of one person will give the anti's more fuel for their fight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top