Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2006 11:44:49 AM EDT
I just got this bobcat I shot with my bow back from the taxidermist shop.

What do y'all think?

If you are anti-hunting or a PETA freak just hit the green back button on your browser.

That pic doesn't truly do it justice....it is really beautiful.
I proud of it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  But how do you get him to stay so still?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!
I like how its mounted on the branch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]
my back button is blue not green.

Nice cat.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Not very much for scale.
Looks like a housecat.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.  What do taxidermists charge anyway for something like that, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not very much for scale.
Looks like a housecat.

It is 6 feet long.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Very nice.  What do taxidermists charge anyway for something like that, if you don't mind me asking?

$375.00
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to find a bobcat cub and raise it as a pet.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
A bow!? Were you calling for them, or did it just stumble across you?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A bow!? Were you calling for them, or did it just stumble across you?

Glad you asked.

I was pig hunting. I heard a "pig" walking up. I was looking around to see if was one that I wanted to shoot. Out pops this cat. I hadn't even picked up my bow. It was directly below me. I got my bow up and drawn, it was about 5 yards away. I shot and pinned it to the ground. It never made a sound. I got down from my stand, drug it to the base of my tree. I shot about a 175# pig about 2 hours later.

All in all it was an awesome night. The cat came out during daylight, but I shot the pig at night.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]
What is the point in killing a useful predator?  Just because it was within your range doesn't seem justification.

By all means, kill as many feral hogs as you can.  And during deer season, get plenty of those.  But we are long past the days when we see predators as some sort of negative.  The bobcat you killed helps keep rats, mice, and rabbits in check less they overrun your hunting lease.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What is the point in killing a useful predator?  Just because it was within your range doesn't seem justification.

By all means, kill as many feral hogs as you can.  And during deer season, get plenty of those.  But we are long past the days when we see predators as some sort of negative.  The bobcat you killed helps keep rats, mice, and rabbits in check less they overrun your hunting lease.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet. It needs a Tweety Bird in it's mouth.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#14]
nice mount!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#15]
How much did it weigh?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Or a stuffed mousie toy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a beautiful mount.  Congrats.

And, for those that don't know better, bobcats will decimate a quail crop if not kept in check.  

I love quail.  I don't like cats.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would like to find a bobcat cub and raise it as a pet.

...and let it kill the birds in my yard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

And, for those that don't know better, bobcats will decimate a quail crop if not kept in check.  

And turkeys, and lots of things besides rats and mice.

I just ignore people who don't "get it".

And Thanks....
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How much did it weigh?

I didn't weight it.

It is a medium sized bobcat for East Texas.

The way it is mounted from the tip of it's tail to nose is almost 30 inches. It is not mounted flat it's body is curved.

It was about 33 or 34 in long.

It wasn't about size, it was a bobcat with my bow. I'm still trying for a coyote. I have missed about 5 or 6 in the last 20 + years. If I ever get one (coyote) I will make some more room on my office wall for it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And turkeys, and lots of things besides rats and mice.

I just ignore people who don't "get it".

And Thanks....

It's a beautiful mount.  The kill with a bow makes the story behind it 10x as cool.  A bow kill on feline predators is difficult - so many factors have to go in your favor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
May i be the first to say, NICE PUSSY...  damn, either the gutter mind is off in everyone else or..  oh, nevermind.

Great shot!  1 in a million, no doubt.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's a beautiful mount.  The kill with a bow makes the story behind it 10x as cool.  A bow kill on feline predators is difficult - so many factors have to go in your favor.

Thanks....it is very difficult. I was more excited about popin' that cat than most animals I've taken with my bow.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gosmiley.com/frowning/weinender_smili.gif

owned.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
What a great mount - something to be proud of.  

But...I have a stupid question I want to ask:

- Are there any special steps you need to do between the time you kill the animal and the time you take it to the taxidermist?  Do you gut it, or throw it in the freezer to perserve it, or just take the carcas to be mounted before it bloats up?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Kinda scrawny isn't he?  

Just kiddin'!  Nice mount!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not very much for scale.
Looks like a housecat.

It is 6 feet long.

Wow.  Bigger than I thought.  Great mount, though.  Great kill, too.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

- Are there any special steps you need to do between the time you kill the animal and the time you take it to the taxidermist?  Do you gut it, or throw it in the freezer to perserve it, or just take the carcas to be mounted before it bloats up?

You cuddle up with it in your sleeping bag to keep it warm.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
That is awesome, absolutely awesome.

You're a dick but that mount is awesome and you must have had a helluva great hunt. Tell me the story.

Always wanted to do bobcat hunting.
Never hunted any predators but I did end up shooting a black bear that charged one day. Sure wasn't in the plan but I run into enough. What can I say, I spend a lot of time in the forest.

J/K about the "you're a dick" comment.

Sort of.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#30]
You need to hang an AR15 beneath for perspective.

Pretty nice job they did for you,  but too bad they didn't arrange its face into a fierce snarl.

It looks so cute that it's almost creepy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

*Nevermind*

Bob

PS. That is a great cat!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#32]
sweet mount - ive always wanted to shoot a cat, have never seen one while out in the field tho

i just got my deer head mount back from the taxidermist...o yea and the butterfly backstraps, steaks, and chili meat...Easter eatin is gonna be mmm mmm good
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Sportsmans warehouse in my area has a Bobcat mount with the cat up, paws in the air, trying to knock down one of three quail that it has flushed. (obviously there are 3 stuffed quail in the mount also)

I'm not a huge fan of stuffed critters, not for any peta reasons, I just don't really think they are attractive, but I do really like that mount with the three quail.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That is awesome, absolutely awesome.

You're a dick but that mount is awesome and you must have had a helluva great hunt. Tell me the story.

Always wanted to do bobcat hunting.
Never hunted any predators but I did end up shooting a black bear that charged one day. Sure wasn't in the plan but I run into enough. What can I say, I spend a lot of time in the forest.

J/K about the "you're a dick" comment.

Sort of.

I want a black bear bad. I going back to Idaho on May13th to try again. I have a Early Sept. hunt booked for Minnesota. If I get one in Idaho I will cancel the Sept hunt. Those bears are hard to get with a bow too. I have been at full draw on one at 5 yards and did not get him. I need a black bear (mount) in my office.

Ya I AM a dick.......ask some of my ex'es.
They all still love me though......maybe that's why they hate me some much.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I put that cat in the freezer the night I shot it, and took it to the taxidermist the next day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I was wondering how long it would take...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I agree!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Why whack the cat?  Go after the piggies...but I just don't see the logic in killing the bobcat.  Somebody enlighten me pls.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#39]

Very nice.... With a bow?  Way effen cool!  

To the PETA crowd:  With no natural predators (Except us)  Bobcat, Coyote, Mountain Lion, Bear, etc. populations need to be kept in check by us to prevent the dramatic rise and fall of populations that occur in nature due to the balance of their prey and their own populations.  

The way we do it is more humane than the natural course of things, which is literally "feast and famine. By us displacing so much wild land we need to keep the balance we have altered while protecting domestic animals and the overlap of their prey and our wild game animals. The contributions of sporting licenses pays for this while the emotional reactions of the uninformed are counterproductive, as usual.

Perfect examples are Cougar attacks in Ca after the hunting ban, The decmation of Elk and Mule deer herds out west and even Whitetail in  Northern Wi & Mn due to the re-introduction of the Timber Wolf and no plan to control their population. We are responsible now, for the balance and decisions should be made without emotion.  

There's room for ALL of God's creatures.... Right next to the mashed 'taters.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I agree.  The reason deer are such a huge problem is the lack of predators and therefore the lack of natural selection.  Hunters take a random sample rather than the worst of the species.

I think cats are pretty neat animals and wouldn’t be interested in hunting them at all.  The pigs should be eliminated though.  And, of course, the deer need to be kept in check.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#41]
OK I'm not going to ignore.....

How can anyone decide that pigs need to be eliminated, or deer need to be kept in check, but I should not kill a predator that preys on animals I hunt , on land I own.

Nevermind.....

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a bobcat snarl at me in the forest last spring. I was wayyy back and must have been close to its den with my dog.  Dog wasn't afraid but left with me willingly went made a loop around it and kept going.

A few years back I was out jogging in the woods and come on one. Big ass sucker. It was during a long drought and it was near a creek which was more of a trickle by then. I startled it at about 10ft and it jumped up from where it was eating a rabbit and started to run off. Got about 15ft and suddenly stopped, turned around and looked at me like "WTF am I running for?"  It just stared me down, almost as if daring me to come on in.  Cool.

I've had similar experiences with a number of other predators. I have been quite impressed with how unafraid many of them are.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#44]
awesome!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#46]
A bobcat is a great trophy and you should be rightfully proud. Hunting is not easy, especially predators, try it yourself sometimes.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and have only seen one once. (No, not because they're endangered , but because they are so dang spooky and sneaky.)

I would like to do some predator hunting one of these days, but between ducks, deer, pigs, doves and fishing I don't have the time.Why do the tree huggers wet themselves with glee over predators killing their prey UNLESS the predator is a human?

Again, nice trophy.

comments for PETA types in red

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Had a bobcat snarl at me in the forest last spring. I was wayyy back and must have been close to its den with my dog.  Dog wasn't afraid but left with me willingly went made a loop around it and kept going.

A few years back I was out jogging in the woods and come on one. Big ass sucker. It was during a long drought and it was near a creek which was more of a trickle by then. I startled it at about 10ft and it jumped up from where it was eating a rabbit and started to run off. Got about 15ft and suddenly stopped, turned around and looked at me like "WTF am I running for?"  It just stared me down, almost as if daring me to come on in.  Cool.

I've had similar experiences with a number of other predators. I have been quite impressed with how unafraid many of them are.

You will see a difference between predators that have to hunt (work) to survive, and ones who get Purina Kitty chow left out for them by someone who just moved in and wants some wildlife in their backyard.

The one you saw behaved exactly as expected, the ones feeding off free food would run away quick (hmmm, see a connection here to another lifeform ?)
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread reminds me, I got to get my cougar from last November.  Should be finished right about now.  Just made a rug out of it though, nothing real fancy.  This is gonna be my 5th cougar pelt on my walls, gonna need to have a fancy mount done like that with the next one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
This thread reminds me, I got to get my cougar from last November.  Should be finished right about now.  Just made a rug out of it though, nothing real fancy.  This is gonna be my 5th cougar pelt on my walls, gonna need to have a fancy mount done like that with the next one.

Wow...I'm so jealous.

Please post some pics when you can.

I want a cougar too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not very much for scale.
Looks like a housecat.

It is 6 feet long.

i thought full growed they was about 12 foot long..

but aniwayz, i think you should eat what you kill. did you get some good ribs and chops outta the critter?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top