Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2007 9:08:58 AM EDT
Its a Mossberg Model 88, 12 Gauge black on black with heat shield and night sights.

I'm pretty excited about this purchase especially since it didn't cost me anything, my dad gave it to me for letting my mother and him stay with us until they find a house in the Portland/Vancouver area.

It is only a few years old, and it has always been a favorite of mine.

The gun is for in home protection of my wife and 3 baby's.

I will post pics when I find my missing $400 shock resistant waterproof digital camera.

I'm off to go buy cleaning kit, trigger lock and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
well congrats
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Something about the idea of having to buy a fist gun is cracking me up. I found mine around age 13 or so.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#5]
got any left over money for a spell checker program

congrats BTW
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
My first was the same.  Congrats and good choice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW, A trigger lock on a HD gun seems like a REALLY bad idea.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You've been a member here since January and you're just now getting your first gun? We're slipping!

Congratulations though.

I agree about the trigger lock being a bad idea. Spend $75 for a Stack On security cabinet. Then you can keep the gun loaded without a lock on it, and your kids won't be able to get at it. Also, get one of the guys from the Oregon Hometown Forum to take you out and give you some pointers on using a shotgun for home defense. It's not just shoot from the hip like in the movies.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats.  They are making shotguns with night sights now?  I just had XS tritiums put on my Mossy 590 ... wish they made them "back in the day" with tritium sights out of the box.

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#10]
My fist gun doesn't work like it used to. Doesn't have nearly the bang it once did. But if I try really hard and concentrate sometimes it will go off. Can't remember why though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
No the sights and heat shield are after market.

I should have mentioned this is not my first gun but rather my first gun with my family.

I have owned a Ruger .22 rifle since I was about 15, but it got passed down to my younger brother.

I have also had shooting experience with:

44 Mag
Glock 9
Several Shotguns including Pistol Grip.

However I do probably need some in home defense training but I do have a plan.

Hang out at top of stairs protecting my family, anybody comes to the bottom of stairs and they are going to hear the rack of my shotgun. If they come closer without Identifying themselves as friendly, the next sound they hear will be ....well it will be too late.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I hear you can hook your shotty up to your home sound system, to amplify the sound of you racking the action, to instill even greater fear unto an intruder
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 9? Is that the .45 version of the Glock 7?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No the sights and heat shield are after market.

I should have mentioned this is not my first gun but rather my first gun with my family.

I have owned a Ruger .22 rifle since I was about 15, but it got passed down to my younger brother.

I have also had shooting experience with:

44 Mag
Glock 9
Several Shotguns including Pistol Grip.

However I do probably need some in home defense training but I do have a plan.

Hang out at top of stairs protecting my family, anybody comes to the bottom of stairs and they are going to hear the rack of my shotgun. If they come closer without Identifying themselves as friendly, the next sound they hear will be ....well it will be too late.

I was fine until the whole "sound of my shotgun racking". This has to be someones troll account.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Post some pics or get teh ban!
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
BTW, A trigger lock on a HD gun seems like a REALLY bad idea.

Find the key, unlock the stuip little lock at night half asleep with a scared shitless wife beside you.  Right!  Figure a better way to store it so you don't have to use a trigger lock.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hear you can hook your shotty up to your home sound system, to amplify the sound of you racking the action, to instill even greater fear unto an intruder

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, bring it out to the shoot on Sep.16th.

I can't attend but they are alot of fun.

See the HTF thread...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top