Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 10/22/2001 6:55:46 PM EST
Hi, I bought my father a DW .445 SuperMag revolver. He lives is ILL and has a valid FOID cardI live in PA, and don't need anything like that. I plan on giving this to him in person, either I go there or he comes here which ever is first. What if any transfer is required between parent and child? or do I need to have it sent to an FFL in ILL? Thanks, Bob
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:18:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:02:44 AM EST
So what if I want to sell one of my AK-47's to a friend? Can I legally sell it to him, or do I have to have it transfered by an FFL? This friend lives in the same city as I do, and can legally buy/own a gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:25:06 PM EST
In most states, you don't need to go through an FFL for a private in-state sale, of either a long gun or handgun. In places like California, even private sales have to go through a dealer, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:22:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By Troy: Legally, you would need to have an FFL in his state perform a transfer for you. Only FFLs can legally transfer guns between states. You can give it to the Ill. FFL in person, or you can send it to the FFL UPS/FedEx (but not USPS).
View Quote
A couple things to think about/clarify/support what was said above: 1) FFL's can transfer hand guns/long guns using USPS. Fill out form 1508 to do it. Priority mail dealer to dealer is fairly cheap. Long guns can go from private to FFL using USPS. Other common carriers can take long or hand gun from FFL/private to FFL in another state. 2) Dealers can always accept long/hand guns from anyone in the US, even over state lines. Private citizens can send long/hand gun to dealer anywhere in the US. 3) Executors of estates can transfer firearms to someone directly who lives out of state, without an FFL, providing the state they reside would allow it. See exceptions on out of state transfers for more information on this. mark
Top Top