Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 2:47:17 PM EDT
Just couldn't say no.  It's a .410 Snake Charmer, stainless steel and new in the box for 88$.

I rationalized it by thinking I'd give it to the niece to carry when she comes up to visit the ranch,  she has this thing about snakes.  She'd never get within a mile of one, but it'd make her feel better.

But now that I've had a chance to play with it, aside from blasting close range slithery things,  what good is it?  I suppose I could use it as a very long single shot pistol, but it doesn't even have a bead sight.  Granted,  it's pretty handy and would fit under the truck seat with no problems. Ammo stores in the pistol grip/stock.

The ammo is another matter, 7$ a box for #4 shot. Assuming I can find some of the larger shot loads for it,  what critters do you think this thing could be used on?  Anyone else have one of these things?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Empty a .410 case of shot leaving cup and powder charge intact, load into aforementioned gun, muzzle load broadhead type arrow, use during archery deer season to..... ummm.... forget I said anything.

BTW, I have never done and the very thought of it scares the willies out of me. But I have heard it works. I DO NOT advise this, I probably shouldn't even have posted this. Too late, already hit the *submit* button...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT fire any ammo in it other than .410 unless the manufacturer states you can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
DO NOT fire any ammo in it other than .410 unless the manufacturer states you can.
View Quote

Yeah, and if it is NIB for $88 I don't even know if I would fire the ammo that the manufacturer says you can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My father-in-law ended up with one of these guns from his dad when he passed away about a year ago.  He wanted to test it out so he went to his father-in-law's house to shoot it.  (His father-in-law is almost 80, but still hunts).  The 80 year old father-in-law thought it would be funny to slip him some .410 slugs to shoot.  My father-in-law loaded it up and wasn't prepared for the kick and about split his nose open.  I heard the reaction was pretty funny.  I wish I could have been there to see it.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I go dove hunting with my .410 mod. choke. Gives you more of a challenge tring to hit them with half the amount of bb's as a 12ga.

On the farm it was mostly used for bird and squirl population control. Never tried it for anything else.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By David_Hineline

... 454 Casull should fit in the chamber if you are brave.

View Quote

... Do not attempt aforementioned. Pressures are [i]WAY[/i]  too high for that barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
For $88, go with the original use, and kill small woodland creatures. It's cost will be overcome by it's effectiveness against the snake gangs when they try to jump you on the ranch. Other ammo types? Forget about it.

BTW....IBTL
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a fairly spendy tent stake.

I suppose it could be used on [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=192916&w=searchPop]baby chipmunks[/url], if the .45 ACP doesn't "get the job done."
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a NEF .410 that I use on squirrels and the like. Usually works pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#12]
NEF has a barrel listed in thier cat. that is made for .410/.45lc. Thier standard .410 barrel won't take the pressure more than once, I would guess.

On a side note, when I was a teenager, I worked at a trap/skeet range. There was a gentleman that came in about twice a month to shoot skeet, with a double barreled .410. The man always scored at least 23/24. For his option shot he would say "Surpise me.", then turn his back to the houses. I only saw him miss that type of shot once in about eight months. The guy kind of impressed me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top