Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:36:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 9:37:57 AM EDT by Avalon01]
Well, I am now one step closer to owning a real live Military Jeep!

Bought a project M38A1 Jeep and will be hauling it home with the help of another member here next weekend.

Right now it's painted red and looks a bit rough, but it runs fine, no leaks, and comes with a slew of extra parts. Data plates are intact, no rust problems in the tub or anywhere else, original tires and rims.

I figure this will be a year or two long restoration project. My father, father-in-law and brother-in-law all want to help.

The wife even gave up her spot in the garage so I can store the Jeep!

Any one else own a Military Jeep?

Av.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:22:49 PM EDT
10K+ users on the site and nobody owns or has restored a military jeep?

A bit more about what I bought - anyone else chime in with what you have.

M38A1 Jeep
Came with:
Intact data plates
Original F head engine
Original 24 volt electric system
Four extra military rims (two front, two rear)
Two extra tires
Winch
MG mount and pintle
M16 rifle mounts
Rear mount spare tire and Jerry can holder
Two soft doors
Other odds and ends

It needs work, but it runs OK.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:23:47 PM EDT
I am jealous of you know now, you know this right?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:36:17 PM EDT
And I paid under $2K for all of it.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:41:39 PM EDT
I wish they would sell the M151's
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:41:52 PM EDT
I will only be impressed if you Opt for the cutout windshield and recoiless setup
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:43:17 PM EDT
There is a user with the name M38A1

For some reason, I think he would find the subject interesting...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2005 8:44:25 PM EDT by underdog75]

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Mutts? you really want to die dont you.. Actually I think they do/did for awhile. I belive the military cut them all in half so the public wouldnt kill themselves, Someone bought a bunch and welded them back together, Not always correctly
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:43:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Avalon01:

A bit more about what I bought - anyone else chime in with what you have.

M38A1 Jeep
Came with:
Intact data plates
Original F head engine
Original 24 volt electric system
Four extra military rims (two front, two rear)
Two extra tires
Winch
MG mount and pintle
M16 rifle mounts
Rear mount spare tire and Jerry can holder
Two soft doors
Other odds and ends

It needs work, but it runs OK.

Av.

Shows how much YOU know...there is a member here going by M38A1!!!!!And he is a real M38A1 GOD! He can square you away on any problem.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:46:13 PM EDT
Someday when I own a house and garage again, I want to restore one. Good luck with your new project. Be sure to post pics of the before, in-between and after as you work on it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:49:54 PM EDT
First off..like any classic car...you're gonna sink more into it than it's worth, if you sell it. Don't argue; it's true.

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

If you build it out to spec and whatnot, and enjoy it...you're golden.

You paid less than 2k for it; you'll drop 20k or so into it in parts, paint, labor, tires, etc. End result will be something that could have patrolled Korea and not stood out. If you hang onto it, and understand you WILL lose money if you do the collector market thing, you're fine....if you deal in just money.

Now, in enjoyment..well, you can't price that. Driving it in parades, etc...currency all it's own. Being able to mount a 1919 on it and drive around town..and NOT get pulled over because the cops and locals know you're some weirdo kook who just does this for fun...priceless

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:45 PM EDT

Av.

No, but I did save a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:50 PM EDT
Agreed, keep it!

Now how bout some "before" pics...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:02 PM EDT
Looking for me?
www.m38a1.com

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:58:03 PM EDT
A nice one in my neighborhood ran into me once.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:25:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By underdog75:

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Mutts? you really want to die dont you.. Actually I think they do/did for awhile. I belive the military cut them all in half so the public wouldnt kill themselves, Someone bought a bunch and welded them back together, Not always correctly

Drive it like an old man,you'll be alright. Drive it like a 20 year old kid,well, been nice knowin' ya!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:26:03 AM EDT

Av.

I asked if anyone here owned a Deuce and a half a couple of weeks ago, got very little if any responses, which also surprised me.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:56:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M38A1:
Looking for me?
www.m38a1.com

www.m38a1.com/images/website/Dallas_MVPA.jpg

Damn! That's a beauty!

Are the M38A1's the standard Vietnam era Jeeps? Or was that the M-151? Or both?

I must admit, I don't know a helluva lot about Jeeps, but I've always kinda wanted one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:24:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
First off..like any classic car...you're gonna sink more into it than it's worth, if you sell it. Don't argue; it's true.

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

You paid less than 2k for it; you'll drop 20k or so into it in parts, paint, labor, tires, etc. End result will be something that could have patrolled Korea and not stood out. If you hang onto it, and understand you WILL lose money if you do the collector market thing, you're fine....if you deal in just money.

Now, in enjoyment..well, you can't price that. Driving it in parades, etc...currency all it's own. Being able to mount a 1919 on it and drive around town..and NOT get pulled over because the cops and locals know you're some weirdo kook who just does this for fun...priceless

1) Evil_Ed speaks the truth about the classic car game. Either showroom it (Motorpool it?) or you'll have an old piece of junk on your hands. It becomes like a second full-time job having such a vehicle. Fun, if you like it, and can afford it.

Some old geezer in our town in MA has an M38A1 with a .50 cal mount (and a Ma Deuce on it, in beaut. shape), a Chaffee (M24?), and a White M3A2 halftrack with a quad 50 arrangement on the back (four even more beaut. M2s on it!). He and his sons and friends drive them in the local Memorial Day parades every year.

When I asked him at the Memorial Day parade a few years ago if he had a MA "Green Card" for all his Class III NFA stuff, he looked at me as if he had no idea what I was talking about. "Gun laws? Registration? What's that?" was what the look said to me......

BTW M38A1, very nice Jeep ya got there. Schweeeeeet!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:52:17 AM EDT
My first car was a 1952 M38A1. It was great, but I could never afford to keep it running, or get everything running at the same time. Tough for a high school kid. When it ran, it was incredible. I had a Warn overdrive unit in so I could get up to 55-60 mph.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:53:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

Looking for me?
www.m38a1.com

Damn! That's a beauty!

Are the M38A1's the standard Vietnam era Jeeps? Or was that the M-151? Or both?

I must admit, I don't know a helluva lot about Jeeps, but I've always kinda wanted one.

Thanks-
The Willys MB (made by Willys-Overland) and the GPW, (made by Ford under contract from Willys) were the primary 1/4 ton transport vehicles of WWII. They served our troops well during WWII and into Korea and some even made it to Vietnam. Rough production dates from 1942-1945 with around 650k units built.

Willys MB

Ford GPW

The M38 series was next produced by Willys-Overland with a few modifications, primarily an upgrade to 24volt systems, and larger headlights. It wasa short lived run produced from 1951-1952 with about 60k units built. These units saw action in Korea along with the MB/GPW's and many went on thru Vietnam.

M38

Next up was the M38A1 series which was a major upgraden to the 1/4 ton platform. Still on board were the 24volt systems, yet different engine config, and body were the most significant changes. Production for the M38A1 was about 101k units and it was made by Willys-Overland, NEKAF under license (Netherlands), and Ford of Canada (CDN's). Several flavors were made in the 1/4 ton configuration including the A1 or standard, M170 (long wheelbase ambulance), "C" model (106mm recoiless rifle) and the "D" model, (small tactical nuke launcher). Units were generally produced (US manufacture) from 1952 to 1956, and up thru 1970 or so for export use and by others. They saw action in LATE Korea and into Vietnam, but were most prevalent for NATO type countries and later in Korea and Germany. They saw tremendous use in the various National Guard units. It was the end of the road for Willys-Overland when production stopped for this variant.

M38A1

About 1964-1966, the M151 series was developed and built offering a radical change in body and suspension components specifically independent front/rear suspensions. They developed a ROPS (roll over protection kit, ie: full cage/seatbelts/window nets) since they had a tendency to roll in higher speed turns with kids at the wheel. There was the "A2" model which changed the configuration of the leading/trailing arms that made it a bit safer. I don't know production numbers, but this vehicle saw action thru Vietnam and is still in some inventories around world at this time.

M151 Series

Circa 1986 saw the introduction of the Hummers and their variants...

Hope it helps... For more info and pics, see www.m38a1.com/Resources/history.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:56:16 AM EDT

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

You can restore it for a lot less than 20K, I have done many. That is one of the great thinsg about restoring military vehicles, they are so simple and spartan it does not cost as much as a regular classic car.

My collection at home:

43 GPW x 2
52 M-38
53 M-38A1
62 Unimog 404 (Swiss Army)
And enough parts to built at least 1 more WWII jeep

I sold a M422A1 Mighty Mite and a M-272A2 Mule right before I deployed because I didn't have any place to store them while I was gone.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:05:11 AM EDT
I have MV's as well.

1950,US M38 jeep.
1952 US M38 Jeep.
1945 GMC 353 CCKW hardcab
M274 Mule
1964 Ford M151A1
416 trailer.
M100 trailer.

I have never figgured out how to post a pic here or I would show them to you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:10:39 AM EDT
Very nice Jeep military history lesson! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:10:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Merlin:

Av.

I asked if anyone here owned a Deuce and a half a couple of weeks ago, got very little if any responses, which also surprised me.

Merlin

I have a 1945 GMC 2.5 ton 353. If you call a WWII GMC 2.5 ton.....ANYTHING but a:"GMC" or a "6x6" or a "Jimmie" the WWII vets will "correct you."

"Deuce an a half" is Korean war and Vietnam era, OD jabber.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:13:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

You can restore it for a lot less than 20K, I have done many. That is one of the great thinsg about restoring military vehicles, they are so simple and spartan it does not cost as much as a regular classic car.

My collection at home:

43 GPW x 2
52 M-38
53 M-38A1
62 Unimog 404 (Swiss Army)
And enough parts to built at least 1 more WWII jeep

I sold a M422A1 Mighty Mite and a M-272A2 Mule right before I deployed because I didn't have any place to store them while I was gone.

Garand-Shooter-
Thanks for your service!
Albeit a bit late, had you given consideration to a local museum to 'hold' your vehicles for your deployment? We've got a few guys here that did/do that. Based on your collection, I'm sure your friends would have helped out.

Evil_Ed-
As for sinking 20k into it, NO WAY. I put about 9k into my frame-off 99 point vehicle that won 1st in a national show for it's class. I could have done it for about 3k less if I had done some of the work myself (sandblasting, engine/transfer/xmission rebuild and axle rebuilds)

The beauty of these old mil-vehs is that parts availability is fantastic and there's an entire industry that supports it. For not a lot of money, you can do it right, have fun with them and retain the value of dollars expended. Yes, my labor if factored in was zero dollars that WOULD have added to the cost of refurbish/retoration. But in the end, I had less than 300 hours in it.

The International group that kind of heads this up is the Military Vehicle Preservation Association or MVPA. Their going thru some growing pains (again) at the moment, but it's a good start. www.mvpa.org

A good subscription is to Military Vehicles Magazine. Tons of vehicles and parts suppliers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 5:40:10 AM EDT by Avalon01]

Looking for me?
www.m38a1.com

That's your website?!

I've been using that website to lookup photos, info, review your price and time logs, and take notes in general. That website also gave me the bug to buy a Jeep. I alwyas wanted one, but kept putting it off.

It's a great resource, and a curse!

Av.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:18:44 AM EDT
Naah, both were unrestored, and there are plenty more projects out there to buy when I get home. I wanted to get some bills paid off before I left.

I am going sell the Unimog when I get home, and start looking for a new project. Perhaps a half-track.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:34:59 AM EDT
You guys are killing me! Restoring and owning a Jeep is one of my dreams! Just can’t afford it on my puny aircraft mechanics salary!

Guess I’ll stick to restoring, ah......I mean, maintaining my wifes Ford Taurus!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:42:19 AM EDT

Av.

BASTARD !.

Jusr kidding. Good for you. sounds like a great deal and fun project. Take lots of pics showing your progress.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:48:04 AM EDT

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

Not planning on selling it. The guy helping me pick it up restored a Camero a few years back, ran the car circuit with it, won top honors in every show he was at, and was featured in several magazines. Johnny Lightning made a die cast of his car (his name is even on the box!).

He's been giving me general pointers on how to restore a vehicle and not go bankrupt.

I've decided to do a "parade worthy" restoration. I'm not looking for a museum quality restoration, but something I can take to local parades.

Of course, I say that now....

Av.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:01:49 AM EDT

The rub is:

Don't sell it.

Not planning on selling it. The guy helping me pick it up restored a Camero a few years back, ran the car circuit with it, won top honors in every show he was at, and was featured in several magazines. Johnny Lightning made a die cast of his car (his name is even on the box!).

He's been giving me general pointers on how to restore a vehicle and not go bankrupt.

I've decided to do a "parade worthy" restoration. I'm not looking for a museum quality restoration, but something I can take to local parades.

Of course, I say that now....
Av.

Most military vehicle shows have what is called a "combat class" where you show the vehicle as it would ahve been used..... not with perfect paint, but with acessories, mud, common field modificatios, etc. That is how I like to go. It shows a vehicle as it really was used. And for me, is more fun anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:09:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:
You guys are killing me! Restoring and owning a Jeep is one of my dreams! Just can’t afford it on my puny aircraft mechanics salary!

Guess I’ll stick to restoring, ah......I mean, maintaining my wifes Ford Taurus!

Start researching online and looking at all thats out there, and watch the classifieds like a hawk...sooner or later you will find one for a few hundred dollars. From you job you have the tools and knowledge, so just work in your spare time and look around for bargains on parts. You can do one fairly cheap as long as you are willing to do it yourself and be patient.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:34:29 AM EDT
My Army Reserve unit had M151A2's until about 1991 when we got HMMWV's
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:18:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Start researching online and looking at all thats out there, and watch the classifieds like a hawk...sooner or later you will find one for a few hundred dollars. From you job you have the tools and knowledge, so just work in your spare time and look around for bargains on parts. You can do one fairly cheap as long as you are willing to do it yourself and be patient.

Garand-Shooter makes a good point. KNOWLEDGE is everything. I've seen people 'buy green' thinking it was what they needed or was cool and wound up not knowing what the hell it was or for what purpose/vehicle. There's a good book out called Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles by I believe Thomas Berndt. It's a good start for a couple of reasons. First, it will list with lots of pictures just about every mil-veh made. That gives you an idea of what is out there vs just purchase of the first thing that comes along.

I pulled this from one of the documents I put together for people just getting started:
It’s a daunting task just to decide what to do with that new project. Some may want to just paint it OD and call it good while others want that award winning, jaw-dropping magnificent restoration. Do you clean her up as she sits? Do you take major parts off, clean them up and have a vehicle that looks good at ten feet? Or, do you take it down to the bare frame and really do her justice? Do you start with a $100 bicycle or a 10,000 pound armored car?

My suggestion is to first decide exactly what you want in the end. Look at where you want to be after your time and financial investment. After all, it’s your vehicle. Think about your goal and will you be pleased with anything less. Considerations include time, money, space, tools & equipment, mechanical knowledge, historical knowledge and significant others/family. Only you can determine the majority of these aspects. However, when it comes to tools and mechanical and historical knowledge, there are many members in the club willing to assist if needed. Our expertise ranges from bicycles and quarter-tons to transport, trailers and aircraft. All you have to do is make the commitment to stick with your plan and there are plenty of resources to assist.

Also, rely heavily on those who know the hobby and market. You can really get screwed if your not carefull. Ebay is a prime example. There's some really good stuff and there's some really crap stuff that the owner would have you believe is gold.

If ANYONE out there wants additional information on this, PLEASE IM ME! I've got a pretty straight forward document with a lot of tips, things to look for etc in purchase/refurb/restore of a historic military vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:49:46 PM EDT
Maaaan... I'd choke someone to have an MB or GPW.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:54:59 PM EDT

Av.

Sounds like a good deal!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 4:33:08 PM EDT by SheepDog_556]
MVs are where it's at. I don't own an M38 or any 1/4 ton MV, but I do have 3 M37s and 2 M35s and am in the process of acquiring an M715 and a donor 715. Oh...and the Mog....416Doka.

FWIW...a guy here just recenetly sold a very nice, restored M715 for 7.5K.

You can do nearly all the work yourself, as M38A1 and others have said, parts....hell, you could drown in parts.

I bought my first M37 out of a barn for $500....running. It needed a complete cosmetic overhaul and that was about it. I bought my second M37 that was a bit used and worn, but otherwise perfectly serviceable for $3500.

This is what I dream about most nights now:

Not mil-spec correct...but about what I want mine to turn out like

And this one cause OD trucks on the rocks make me all tingly.

Sheep

Edited to resize my original 1600X1200 pic....d'oh.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:41:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dinkydow:

Av.

Merlin

I have a 1945 GMC 2.5 ton 353. If you call a WWII GMC 2.5 ton.....ANYTHING but a:"GMC" or a "6x6" or a "Jimmie" the WWII vets will "correct you."

"Deuce an a half" is Korean war and Vietnam era, OD jabber.

Actually, I asked it by the model number: M35A2; the guys over at Steel Soldiers call it the Deuce and half, what the fork do I know about it :). I'm just surprised no one here had one or admitted to it here. Heck, Pirate4x4.com guys probably got 4 or 5 alone.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 12:47:52 PM EDT by napalm]
Canned sunshine, anyone?

Nuke 'em from orbit a jeep, it's the only way to be sure!

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 2:25:45 PM EDT by M38A1]
That would be the "D" model in the pic above.
Specs as follows:

Named for the famous Tennessee frontiersman, US Congressman and martyr of the Alamo, the Davey Crocket consists of a 279MM atomic projectile fired from a 120MM recoilless gun. A fixed round charge of propellant and a separate piston could launch the approximately 1 Kiloton-Yield projectile to a range of 2000 meters or just over 1.25 miles.

By the late 1960's, the limitations of the Davy Crocket were recognized and it was withdrawn from the military arsenal. (maybe 'cause the driver/loader figured they could launch it 1.25 miles but the blast radius was greater than that and them some??????) lol.....

This vehicle was acquired in 2000 and subsequently endured a frame-off restoration to bring it back to it's glory as one of only a few production units.

ETA:
If you really want more info on this particular unit, try here:
m38a1.com/Models/models_nuclear.htm
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT

Specs as follows:

Named for the famous Tennessee frontiersman, US Congressman and martyr of the Alamo, the Davey Crocket consists of a 279MM atomic projectile fired from a 120MM recoilless gun. A fixed round charge of propellant and a separate piston could launch the approximately 1 Kiloton-Yield projectile to a range of 2000 meters or just over 1.25 miles.

By the late 1960's, the limitations of the Davy Crocket were recognized and it was withdrawn from the military arsenal. (maybe 'cause the driver/loader figured they could launch it 1.25 miles but the blast radius was greater than that and them some??????) lol.....

This vehicle was acquired in 2000 and subsequently endured a frame-off restoration to bring it back to it's glory as one of only a few production units.

ETA:

Not too many folk standing in line for that MOS I bet.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:50:30 PM EDT
M151's have there limitations but are a riot to drive if you're carefull, i've owned several over the years, they are death traps if you drive them like a modern day SUV, you'll roll over in your first turn if you drive it like a wrangler or a cherokee, if you respect it and drive it accordingly you will have no problems at all. I sold one recently that i drove as a daily driver for about a year, they are great off road have a decent underbody clearence, simple to maintain, gets lots of looks, parts are available up the wazoo. Just my two cents on that, heres a pic of my current 1967 M151A1. McM
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:05:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 7:05:52 PM EDT by RiffRandall]

Originally Posted By underdog75:

Specs as follows:

ETA:

Not too many folk standing in line for that MOS I bet.

Sunglasses & Coppertone tanning lotion required!
Considering the planned use was to take out hordes of attacking communists the combat life exp of the Davey Crockett nuke crew probably wasn't long in any case. Get over-run by the screaming Red Horde or get a really bad sunburn?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:07 AM EDT
Some picts from the seller.

I'll have more up this weekend.

Side View

Front

Dash

Rear

Av.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:34:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 9:39:29 AM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Ohh yeah, thats a nice complete specimen, should be a fairly simple restoration. Paint, seat covers, and some minor parts are all you will need to buy if it is running well........ under $500.

The rear photo shows USMC green paint where the spare tire carrier has been removed, and the USMC style rear bumper, so you got a rarer varient. The USMC models also had limited slip rear diffs so that is a plus.

When you strip the paint, take care and go slow, using oven cleaner to take out one layer at a time (it works wonders). Make good notes of the hood numbers and tactical marks you uncover and you can put it back in the exact original markings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:05:48 AM EDT

The rear photo shows USMC green paint where the spare tire carrier has been removed, and the USMC style rear bumper, so you got a rarer varient. The USMC models also had limited slip rear diffs so that is a plus.

Really?

Damn, I thought somebody added a front bumper to the rear.

This is why I'm not doing anything to it untill I check with other people who own or restore M38A1's.

Av.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:
Canned sunshine, anyone?

www.m38a1.com/images/models/D_Model/38a1d_13.jpg

Nuke 'em from orbit a jeep, it's the only way to be sure!

Davie, Davie Crocket .....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:12:40 AM EDT

Send an IM to Bubbles. She (or her hubby) have an M35 variant of some sort.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:57:54 AM EDT
Some more updates now that the Jeep is home.

Electric is a MESS. Needs a new wiring harness.

Runs fine. Brakes work fine. Transmition is OK.

More picts:

Rear of Jeep with Jerry Can holder, spare tire carrier, and reflector removed.

No oil filter assembly! Is it missing or were they not supposed to have one?

Data plates removed.

Broken down in TN! That's Batch114 trying to hide.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:06:32 AM EDT

Really?

Damn, I thought somebody added a front bumper to the rear.

This is why I'm not doing anything to it untill I check with other people who own or restore M38A1's.

Av.

Yup.

If you look at the ends it is cut at a slight angle and there is a hole on each end. This was for a shackle to hang down to be used to sling the jeep for loading on ships. The shackles are an odd shape, teh only thing I have ever seen that shape used on is the USMC M38A1 and the M976 bolster trailer. I think have some at home that I will give you but I won't be there till May.

Look behind the passenger seat and see if there is a metal tag, that will be the second location of the VIN.

Your oil filter has been removed, that was very common back in those days. See those metal lines that are plugged on the right front of your engne in the picture..... oil filter lines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top