Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/19/2009 9:43:05 AM EST
I picked up a 95 Wrangler for $500 a couple of weeks ago. The body was pretty rough, so I picked up some new(er) doors and fenders from the junkyard. Any suggestions? How many cans of Krylon do you think it would take to cover a Jeep? Not looking for pretty, but just want all the body panels to match again.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:50:45 AM EST
Use a heavy duty flat spray paint. You won't see the spray paint marks. Flat dark earth is my preference.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:55:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 9:58:59 AM EST by ropie]
I can get a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Where can I get a gallon of FDE or OD paint for cheap?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:06:00 AM EST
If there is a Tractor Supply near you, they have some decent tractor paint that holds up pretty well. Other than that hit your local auto paint supplier and get a cheap single stage paint. They may even have a cheap mis-mix.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:33:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By anjan9:
If there is a Tractor Supply near you, they have some decent tractor paint that holds up pretty well. Other than that hit your local auto paint supplier and get a cheap single stage paint. They may even have a cheap mis-mix.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:20:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By ropie:
I can get a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Freight. Where can I get a gallon of FDE or OD paint for cheap?

Midwest Sign and Screen Supply...Ask for Matthews paint with a gloss additive...you'll also need reducer and catalyst.

There should be one near you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:29:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 9:30:04 PM EST by Dave_A]

I picked up a 95 Wrangler for $500 a couple of weeks ago. The body was pretty rough, so I picked up some new(er) doors and fenders from the junkyard. Any suggestions? How many cans of Krylon do you think it would take to cover a Jeep? Not looking for pretty, but just want all the body panels to match again.

Rustoleum 'Refrigerator Enamel' or a similaar epoxy-based paint should do well...

Figure 1 can per major panel....

P.S. If you're doing a cheap paint job, there's little advantage to an HVLP job over rattle-can...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:21:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 2:22:18 PM EST by 9mm4me]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:39:01 PM EST

I think the Line-X would cost me more than I have in to the Jeep.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have looked at the tractor paints, but dont' really care for the colors they had. I think I want FDE or OD green. I guess I will just by a case of krylon camo paint.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:32:45 AM EST

I think the Line-X would cost me more than I have in to the Jeep.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have looked at the tractor paints, but dont' really care for the colors they had. I think I want FDE or OD green. I guess I will just by a case of krylon camo paint.

This is what I did to my CJ.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:46:06 AM EST
I painted mine with that Duplicolor Paint shop stuff in the quart cans. Pre mixed and you just spray it out then clear coat it. I have about 80 dollars in this paint job. I sanded the original color to rough it up. The first couple of coats went on kind of rough and I wet sanded new color prior to clear coating. After the clear hardened up, I buffed it with rubbing compound and then polishing compound. I didn't do any bodywork. I just wanted it the same color.

Top Top