Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2005 8:59:01 PM EDT
From the local pawn shop.
$40.00 plus tax.
It looks like hell, but it shoots very well.

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
No doubt some kid’s starter rifle, many years ago.

Looks like an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun.  Appears to be missing the dummy tubular magazine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a bad find.

Congradulations!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Ted Williams Model 100 at a pawn shop for $100 2 months ago. This rifle is a Model 94 made by winchester for sears years ago. It also had a 3x Ted Williams scope side mounted on it. Scope is still clear.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From the local pawn shop.
$40.00 plus tax.
It looks like hell, but it shoots very well.

www.vaq34.com/junk/tedwilliams.jpg

That brings back memories.  I bought one for my first wife thirty years ago.  It was a pretty good shooter.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Well done.   As previously stated, it does look like an Ithaca 49.  Does it have a painted aluminum receiver?

I have a weakness. I cannot walk away from -$100 guns.  Even if they need work.  99% of the time I'm able to fix/clean/beautify them into something someone else is willing to buy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice find. anything under $100 is a steal especially if the only thing wrong is a little cosmetic but I tend to chalk that up to its aesthetic appeal
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Looks like an Ithaca Model 49 Saddlegun.  Appears to be missing the dummy tubular magazine.

It is a version of the Ithaca 49 that was made by Ithaca for Sears. It has a heavier barrel and no dummy mag tube makes it slightly differeny than the 49. Same painted cast zinc reciever.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Took it out shooting today, I was knocking over plastic coke bottles at 80 yards with no problems using Yellowjacket ammo.

I am going to buff out the corrosion, primer it and spray it with gloss black Rustoleum.
I might even apply a coat of clear to the wood.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a version of the Ithaca 49 that was made by Ithaca for Sears. It has a heavier barrel and no dummy mag tube makes it slightly differeny than the 49. Same painted cast zinc reciever.

The one we bought at Sears was the same, heavy barrel and no dummy mag tube.  Ours was also the Ted Williams rifle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Got it at Sears in 1969 for $26
i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/arfcomsux/model49.jpg

Nice buy - the Ithica version weren't blued - rather a plated finish ala. the post 64 Winchester Model 94.

My first rifle.  Still sits in the back of the safe.  Guess my dad didn't want me burning alot of ammo - so this bad boy is "Open, Load one round, close, cock, fire, repeat"  

Does tend to make you want to maximize each shot.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Ted Williams

Isn't that the ballplayer dude they chopped his head off to freeze it then fought over it dunno where it is now
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I love pawn shops sometimes. I got this Plainfield last month for $164. There still are some good deals out there to be had. When I am in other towns I always stop by pawn shops to check out the gun racks. You never know. Nice find, I still want a lever action .22

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top