Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 3:02:54 PM EDT
I bought a Reminton 870 Express with an 18" bbl and 7 shot magazine today at a gun show.  I have never fired any shotgun before.  Got home took it out to a field a let er rip!  Holy fucknuts.  Scary and fun at the same time.  I've got a small bruise now.  I was using Winchester Ranger shells.  Any suggestions on what I should assessorize it with?
btw I paid 299.99 + tax for it
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Different, isn't it? That's recoil my friend!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought a Reminton 870 Express with an 18" bbl and 7 shot magazine today at a gun show.  I have never fired any shotgun before.  Got home took it out to a field a let er rip!  Holy fucknuts.  Scary and fun at the same time.  I've got a small bruise now.  I was using Winchester Ranger shells.  Any suggestions on what I should assessorize it with?
btw I paid 299.99 + tax for it

If you are new to 870's, let me warn you about their only possible flaw.....the "870 short-stroke".

If you short-stroke an 870, it will cause the mother-of-all-jams.  You have to dissemble the gun to fix it.  Practice using the pump, full range through the stroke.  Other than that, 870s are great shotguns.

As far as accessories, maybe a tac light.  Nothing more is needed.

And remember, contrary to popular misconception, you can miss with a shotgun.  Always aim carefully.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Hogue forearm and stock.  Taclight and a sling and call it good.  Oh yah, maybe a side saddle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Try some Federal Premium Turkey loads.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Rip

Or some 3" Magnum 00Buck
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure it's tucked into your shoulder tight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to try some slugs.

Just once. Mandatory that everyone with a shotgun try it.

Really makes you appreciate the mild recoil of shot rounds.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same gun, and it does kick, but it's a great home defense gun.  It's supposed to be a seven-rounder, but I can only get six in the tube.  Are they counting one in the chamber in that seven?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll need:
a shell holder that bolts on to the receiver (Don't get a lame elastic one that mounts on the stock)
a tac sling
a good stock with a good recoil pad, like a Hogue.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rip

Or some 3" Magnum 00Buck

Talk about recoil!!!!!  3" Mags. hold on tight!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
All you need is a sidesaddle and a Surefire forearm light. The 870 is a great gun. You might try some of the "tac" buckshot that has reduced recoil and tighter groups than full house buck. Shoot it at 7 yards and see how small the group is. You have to aim it like a rifle. The price is OK.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up my 870 about a month ago. I added a Choate stock and Tacpoint pistolgrip fore arm.
It is a blast to shoot! Pictured with it is a vintage Sears and Roebuck 12 gauge.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#14]
3-1/2" magnum turkey loads! OUCH!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my Remington 870 Police shottie.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

WORST recoil I have ever experienced was shooting a 3" 1 1/4 oz Federal slug through a Fabarm over/under.

HOLY SHIT!  It felt like someone hit me in the cheek with a baseball bat!  The jolt to the shoulder was nowhere near as bad as the hit I took on the face with the muzzle flip.  Walnut is fucking HARD.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
3-1/2" magnum turkey loads! OUCH!!!

I was at the range trying out my new 3 1/2 " 870.     Jack in a turkey load.... BANG !    
OWWW... my Cheek hurts !  Rangemaster says  "let me try one Rip.."
BANG !..... OWWWW !.....
I never had a shotgun recoil  UP on the stock like this one does.   Gonna try a  hogue on it to see if it helps.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I still have some nightmares from putting those in my Winchester 1300 when I was younger

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rip

Or some 3" Magnum 00Buck

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I use my 870 on waterfowl, but what a great gun.  Never malfunctions and never gives me problems.  You made a solid choice for a shotgun.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I basically have the same gun but I have made some very important additions that not only make it fun to shoot, but also make it one hell of a defense weapon.

1) Surefire foregrip w/ light.

2) Knoxx Copstock. The single best investment in this gun. The first time I took it to the range I shot 25 rounds of 3" 00 Buck AS FAST AS I COULD LOAD THEM! I didn't time it but it was under a minute or close to it. The other guys on the firing line looked at me like I was crazy. This thing eats recoil like you wouldn't believe and it makes it fun to shoot slugs and blow stuff up without ripping your shoulder up. I put it on there so my wife would shoot it for practice and know she could handle it if needed.

3) Sidesaddle for additional shells

I goose hunt with 3 1/2" shells and fire a few boxes a day. That is some hellacious recoil. I am about to build a 3 1/2" Remmie goose gun with a Knoxx Copstock (and no I am not a sales rep. for them).

-Juice Out
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Consider this - 2 ounce loads in a 3 1/2 in shotgun load is 875 grains of shot.   Then, let them run at 1350 to 1500 fps.

It's going to kick like a rifle for hunting dangerous animals in Africa.

A wild turkey might go 20 pounds, a little more if it's hybridized with a domestic turkey, they can't bite your head off, and they can't stomp you to death.  You might get spurred if you tried to pick up a tom.

I'll kill critters with loads  a little less lethal to my shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've got a small bruise now.  

You would have a large bruise if you bought a Benelli Nova...that is what I own lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would have a large bruise if you bought a Benelli Nova...that is what I own lol.

Bruises are part of owning a 12 gauge. If you shoot a box of ammo and don't have any bruises, you're a bad mother fucker
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have the same gun, and it does kick, but it's a great home defense gun.  It's supposed to be a seven-rounder, but I can only get six in the tube.  Are they counting one in the chamber in that seven?

Yeah, its 6+1.

I love my 870, I just put a speedfeed pistol grip stock and forend on it.  Next is a sling and sidesaddle, then a surefire forend.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing like the shotgun recoil!  I'm seriously addicted to it!  I think I'm the only person who likes the kick you get with those things.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Keeping the stock in the pocket is very important with the 12Ga. Trap shooters won't bruise after a while. They shoot hundreds of shells a day. First longgun I ever shot was a 12 Ga. Shot hundreds of shells on trap. When I first shot the AR I was like what's this poodle shooter?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nothing like the shotgun recoil!  I'm seriously addicted to it!  I think I'm the only person who likes the kick you get with those things.

I am addicted to it also, sometimes I just go to the indoor range and blast away with my 870.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#29]
put the damn recoil killer in it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... Any suggestions on what I should assessorize it with?...

Depends on what you’re going to do with it.

First thing I’d do is put a decent set of ghost ring sights on it.

Second would be an ordinary sling using detachable sling swivels.

Third would be a jumbo safety head.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:06:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering, where can you get sling swivels for the 870 HD?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was wondering, where can you get sling swivels for the 870 HD?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
...I was wondering, where can you get sling swivels for the 870 HD?

You might have to shop around a bit to get exactly the setup you want.  I don’t know what exactly is out there or how exactly your 870 is set up.

Something like this would probably do: www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004490&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548843&subcatky2=2000180

Note that the clamp type front swivel mount is a pain since it has to be removed to allow the 870 to be disassembled for cleaning.

Also, because of your plastic stock, you might find that the rear stud needs to have a machine thread with a nut rather than the stud with a wood screw that comes in this package.

Also, personally, I’d prefer the 1 ¼” loops as shown here rather than the 1” loops that come in this kit:  www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9008332&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000117

This is just to give you some ideas, there’s probably an easier (and less expensive) way of doing this than what I mentioned above.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I basically have the same gun but I have made some very important additions that not only make it fun to shoot, but also make it one hell of a defense weapon.

1) Surefire foregrip w/ light.

2) Knoxx Copstock. The single best investment in this gun. The first time I took it to the range I shot 25 rounds of 3" 00 Buck AS FAST AS I COULD LOAD THEM! I didn't time it but it was under a minute or close to it. The other guys on the firing line looked at me like I was crazy. This thing eats recoil like you wouldn't believe and it makes it fun to shoot slugs and blow stuff up without ripping your shoulder up. I put it on there so my wife would shoot it for practice and know she could handle it if needed.

3) Sidesaddle for additional shells

I goose hunt with 3 1/2" shells and fire a few boxes a day. That is some hellacious recoil. I am about to build a 3 1/2" Remmie goose gun with a Knoxx Copstock (and no I am not a sales rep. for them).

-Juice Out

Anyone else have experience with the Knoxx stocks? I haven't hear of them until now, but they look interesting. I was originally planning on putting a Cav Arms or Argonaut Arms stock adapter on my 870. I am giving these some serious lookovers now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#35]
"hole" different world isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Federal Tactical Buckshot is a bit more forgiving...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I had an old police trade in 870.  It looked like hell ( had been mounted between the seats and the A/C dripped on it  ) but shot great.  I hated to sell it but needed money.  

Keep yours.  Look around and get accessories you want, or none.  The 870 is perfect the way you have it.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where? in the wallet?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome to the dark side. There is very little that is feared more at close range than a 12 guage filled with 00. Of course, I am referring to being on the wrong side of the business end. You think you had it rough today, image what being on the other side would be like!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#40]
oh man. I shot some buckshot out of my 870 when I first got it. thought it was ok
then I shot a couple slugs just to see. damn that hurt

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I actually never thought the ol' fashioned Remington "Slugger" slugs were that bad.  Even the 3"ers.  I've been using them since I started hunting with the 12g at age 11.  And even now I weigh 115lbs, so if anyone should be sensative to it, it'd be me.

Things have changed since then, of course.  Now I'm using 3" sabot in a fully rifled barrel.  My eyebrow gets puffy after about 3 rounds.

I've never really learned to "control" recoil like some people speak of.  I've just come to accept that I'm taking a pounding when I pull the hook.  Luckily, I've never needed more than one shot whilst actually hunting with it.  Sighting the scope in originally took me 3 weekends.  I'd have to put a few down the tube, adjust, then heal my face out a week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top