Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 3:55:10 AM EDT
I fulfilled a dream of a 14 years old boy.
Me.
I always liked (I own semiauto pistols only) the Colt 1911 types of guns for the way they look, for the history behind and so on.
The thing that always bothered me, about Colt 1911, was the fact that it can hold only 7+1 .45 ACP rounds. Little difference from a revolver, to have only one round more.
Than, looking a Osprey publication about The Normandy Campaign, I saw a picture of a British commando (at the Pegasus Bridge) with a gun that looked like like a Colt but wasn't a Colt at all.
I made an inquiry with a friend (teenager like me at that time) and I discovered that J.M Browing invented not only Colt 1911, but also 1935 a gun with an improved version of the Colt system and added a high capacity mags for 9mm. rounds: 13 staggered cartridges!!!

Now, that piece of history and technology is in my hands. It's a beautifully blued Portoguese Browning HP35 assembled in the 80s and with the original little safe lever and the round Captain type hammer. The pistol grip and the trigger reach is FANTASTIC. The trigger safe was removed, so doing the trigger pull is lighter and smooth. I got it with three 13-round mags for about $500...

Still now I can't believe I got it...

It's the right classic partner for my polymeric Walther P99...

Now, the next dream to fulfill is a AR15...
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with any gun designed by Mr. Browning. I, too, love the 1911s and HiPowers.

I noticed you are from Italy. I dont know anything about gun laws in Italy. What kinds of guns can or cant you own? Do you have to get permits and do you have to register your weapons? What kinds of laws regarding lethal force in self defense?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, Paolo, that is a fine pistol.  I had a HP once but let it get away.  I am after another one some day.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot Hipowers made by 3 different makers. They were ALL among the most accurate auto pistols I have fired. You will love yours!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Like you,
I had been liking the Browning Hi-Power since the early 70's, it was my first centerfire pistol, and it will be the last one I give up.
[pistol]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha ha ha  Striker....I hope I am not your buddy. I have an Inglis HP, and it is great!!!

Gotta love it....almost as much as my AR!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
They are the finest single action semi automatic 9m/m ever made, as far as I am concerned. I owned one, back in the 70's. It was produced during WW II after the FN plant was occupied by the German's. It had German marks including the "eagle" on it.
In 1985 or 1986 I became a certified firearms instructor through the South Caroling Criminal Justice Academy (read here police academy) and
the level II instructor course was semi auto pistol. I took a Browning HP that had an enlarged safety and slide release. With a little practice it was wonderful to use.
The only guy that was even close was using a Sig Sauer P226.
I would carry that pistol with confidence if it was issued to me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Browning BDA 380.  It is no Hi-Power, but still a nice mid-sized auto.  The finish and fit is good.  I have the hi-cap 13rnd mags (3) for it.  I used to carry it, until I got a Glock 22.

OSA
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
John Browning's pistols, the .45, 1911 series and the Model 1935, 9mm are among the best and most copied in the world.
How do you say? Belisimo, paisano
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#12]
PAOLO da dove scrivi?Anche io sono italiano e abito da piu' di 20 anni in tenneesse.Noi abbiamo gusti molto simili in fatto di armi.Anche io ho una Browning HP E da circa un anno ho un AR15 che mi sono montato da solo , seguendo le istruzioni che ci sono in questa w
eb site.
Sono molto interessato anche alla ricarica di tutte le armi che ho :380.acp ,9mm,45.acp 357 mag,30.06 spingfild,30.carbine,8mm mauser,223 remington e a un paio di fucili ad avancarica che uso per la caccia al cervo.
Uno dei vantaggi  della ricarica he di essere un hobby che puoi fare tutto l'anno.
Cordiali saluti da Nashville.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Molto bene Paolo!  You have purchased a terrific pistol!
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats.  A Hi-Power was my first handgun purchase.  I still shoot it better than any other gun I own.
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Hi w00dy:
1)In Italy you can own up to three guns classified Common Firearms (not for hunting noto for sports). Most of them are handguns. No limitations on minimum dimensions and on magazine capacity. If a gun is classified with more than a mag capacity you can have (and use) all of them.

2)You have to get a permit. Four kinds of Police permits to buy firearms:
-Simple Permission (Nulla Osta) valid for only one firearm. Time for the issue: Three months.
-Self Defence: is like the CCW, is valid on all the Italian Territory. Should be renewed each year. You can carry on you up to three handguns. You can buy any kind of firearm classified in Italy. Cost: about 80 USD each years.
-Rifle Licence for Skeet (TAV). Valid for SIX years. You cannot carry but you can transport all over Italy. Valid for buying any kind of firearm classified in Italy.
-Hunting Rifle Licence. As above, but you can carry and use any rifle during the hunting season. Costs: about 125 USD each year.

Notice that Italian Law allows you to purchase any quantity of firearms you want, and not one-per-month. A friend of mine (gun collectors) normally makes "raid" for purchasing in gun shops and dismissed collection, and buy from two up to SEVEN pieces at time.

2) You can't own any firearms out of what is called "Catalogo Nazionale delle Armi da Fuoco". (National Catalogue of Firearms). Each firearm is classified in a strict way for features and characteristics, and the adding kits also. For example, Colt AR15 Sporter 2 Hbar is catalogued as semiauto only, fixed stock, 1005 mm. of lenghth and magazines of FIVE rounds only (if is a 20 or 30, you MUST reduce permanently to that capacity)

3) When you buy a firearm you MUST register to the nearest police station as soon as possible. Normally within 24-36 hours maximum.

4) There is no the concept of lethal force. There is only the concept (in self defence) of the proportion of the response to the threat. You cannot use a gun to defend your property, but only (only if police is not readily available and you have no other choices) your life and other people life.

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with any gun designed by Mr. Browning. I, too, love the 1911s and HiPowers.

I noticed you are from Italy. I dont know anything about gun laws in Italy. What kinds of guns can or cant you own? Do you have to get permits and do you have to register your weapons? What kinds of laws regarding lethal force in self defense?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Ciao amico!!!
Noi italiani siamo dappertutto... molto contento di incontrare un'altro appassionato negli States.
Scrivo da Roma, e sono iscritto al Poligono di Tiro Olimpico della mia citta' da 4 anni.
Ho fatto il militare nei Carabinieri Paracadutisti nel 1986. Attualmente possiedo una piccola collezione:
-Beretta 89 in 22 lr per tiro
-Walther PPK in 32 Auto
-Walter P99 in 9 x 21 IMI
-Browning HP35
ed una carabina CZ Zkm con cui faccio bench rest in .22 lr. a cui presto aggiungero' un Garand in 30-06. L'AR15 (sono orientato per un Olympic Arms... i Colt in Italia sono usati, Introvabili e OVERPRICED...) e' il prossimo... ma chissa' quando...

Teniamoci in contatto. NOn e' detto che non capiti dalle tue parti in futuro.

Hi Paolo
Quoted:
PAOLO da dove scrivi?Anche io sono italiano e abito da piu' di 20 anni in tenneesse.Noi abbiamo gusti molto simili in fatto di armi.Anche io ho una Browning HP E da circa un anno ho un AR15 che mi sono montato da solo , seguendo le istruzioni che ci sono in questa w
eb site.
Sono molto interessato anche alla ricarica di tutte le armi che ho :380.acp ,9mm,45.acp 357 mag,30.06 spingfild,30.carbine,8mm mauser,223 remington e a un paio di fucili ad avancarica che uso per la caccia al cervo.
Uno dei vantaggi  della ricarica he di essere un hobby che puoi fare tutto l'anno.
Cordiali saluti da Nashville.
[email protected]
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top