Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:48:05 PM EDT
One of the tires on the Ranger developed a slow leak, and every week the low tire pressure indicator light would come on.

The truck had 32K on the tires, so just decided to get 4 new ones and be done with it.

As they were being installed, they showed me one of the sensors, cracked and falling apart. I declined to have them replace it, so now my low pressure indicator is still on, even with 4 new tires.

So, is it easy enough to replace that sensor myself, or is it a dealer job?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:52:53 PM EDT
Take it by your local performance shop and have them zap the TPMS codes into oblivion. Fucking worthless government mandated bullshit system.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:53:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 3:54:29 PM EDT by Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:55:47 PM EDT
Ok, I will just have Ford do it next time I take it to them for service.

I got the tires at Firestone this morning.

I think those guys destroyed one in the process of changing the tires, but no way to prove it as the light was coming on periodically anyways.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:58:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:59:21 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M82Assault:
Take it by your local performance shop and have them zap the TPMS codes into oblivion. Fucking worthless government mandated bullshit system.
View Quote

May be worthless gov. bs, but they are good to keep track of under inflated tires.most folk don't check tire psi every month and helps
prevent early tire wear and needless replacement, but you do what you want! To OP; yeah get it replaced, if you can get it cheaper somewhere else, do it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:00:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 4:02:27 PM EDT by aquaman67]
I had one replaced by Discount Tire for $30 or so.

If you don't want them on your tires but want the light to go out - have 4 good sensors installed in a piece of PVC - capped on both ends and inflated to 32 psi. Keep it in your car.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:14:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:18:13 PM EDT
Why wouldn't you want tpms?

All my cars are too old for it but I would like to know when a fire goes low
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jnk556:

Not sure how that works.  I work in a garage with a 10,000 dollar scanner, and you can't turn off TPMS lights.  Replace and reprogram, thats it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not sure how that works.  I work in a garage with a 10,000 dollar scanner, and you can't turn off TPMS lights.  Replace and reprogram, thats it.

The same way the emission controls are bypassed on "off road vehicles."

You trick the computer into seeing that the systems are there and functioning no matter what the input is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:27:14 PM EDT
There are "generic" sensors that you can have programmed to your vehicle.  They retail (at Discount Tire Co) for about $60 each.  You can probably find them cheaper online and possibly have them programmed.  I don't think there is a way to "zap" the TPMS system.  

Band sensors get broken more commonly then stem-mounted sensors and are a little more fragile from my experience.  

You can always just take some electrical tape and cover the light on the dashboard...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 4:33:37 PM EDT by us-kiwi]

Originally Posted By aquaman67:

If you don't want them on your tires but want the light to go out - have 4 good sensors installed in a piece of PVC - capped on both ends and inflated to 32 psi. Keep it in your car.

View Quote

Jus' sayin'

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:36:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT by RobM]
View Quote

View Quote

You trick the computer into seeing that the systems are there and functioning no matter what the input is.
View Quote

I figure they would re flash the PCM with the TPMS specific programing removed.  This isn't something you could do with a standard scan tool hence why you would have to take it to place that specializes in custom reprogramming.

OP, TPMS sensors are super easy to replace with the tires off.  The sensors themselves can be found for fairly cheap.  If you have the valvestem mounted sensors you could possible break the bead yourself and replace the sensor.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:36:56 PM EDT
I have a 12' Chevy Tahoe. One of mine went bad and I bought one on Amazon for 25 bucks and went to Walmart and they installed it for 20. I know...Walmart but I have only had good experiences with the one i go to...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:46:02 PM EDT
I bought new wheels and tires and had the TPMS removed, one was bad anyway. Once I start up I get the tire icon, but I ignore it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2015 4:48:43 PM EDT by Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT

View All Quotes

No. Set the parameters so that they aren't commanded and disable the MIL report. The computer doesn't even care if the stuff isn't there if it's not reporting it and not trying to get to it. For instance, I can disable the O2s and as long as I have it programmed correctly to not go into closed loop then it doesn't matter. Not tricking anything, just telling it what to do. I can't use a table that relies on O2 for correction if they aren't there. But there are tables that don't rely on that and it will function fine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:58:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:01:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:06:16 PM EDT
All four sensors on my Silverado went blitz by the time I had 60K on the odometer.  The shop told me they were $60 a piece to replace them.

I just ignore the low pressure signals and check the psi manually every few weeks.  Pushing 105K on the odometer now with no problems.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:07:26 PM EDT

View Quote

You sir, are a genius.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:07:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOx:

All four sensors on my Silverado went blitz by the time I had 60K on the odometer.  The shop told me they were $60 a piece to replace them.

I just ignore the low pressure signals and check the psi manually every few weeks.  Pushing 105K on the odometer now with no problems.
View Quote
Firestone place said they would replace it for $80, but I had no clue if a ripoff or not so declined, probably should have let them do it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:10:21 AM EDT

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:31:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By capnrob97:
One of the tires on the Ranger developed a slow leak, and every week the low tire pressure indicator light would come on.

The truck had 32K on the tires, so just decided to get 4 new ones and be done with it.

As they were being installed, they showed me one of the sensors, cracked and falling apart. I declined to have them replace it, so now my low pressure indicator is still on, even with 4 new tires.

So, is it easy enough to replace that sensor myself, or is it a dealer job?
View Quote

They probably broke it during the install. Tire people do that sometimes. You do not want to know how I know that
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:55:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:00:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:

The funny thing is...  This can be easily fixed by just walking around the outside of your car, and look at your tires every time you stop in at a gas station...

Pop the front hood, and check the fluids...  Turn on the lights & hit turn signals, etc...

Takes about 3 minutes to check all your fluids, eyeball-check your tires, and check your lights / blinkers while your gas tank is filling up.

No need for expensive sensors and over-complicated computer controlled bullshit to perpetuate laziness!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:

Originally Posted By jarhead13:

May be worthless gov. bs, but they are good to keep track of under inflated tires.most folk don't check tire psi every month and helps

prevent early tire wear and needless replacement, but you do what you want! To OP; yeah get it replaced, if you can get it cheaper somewhere else, do it.

The funny thing is...  This can be easily fixed by just walking around the outside of your car, and look at your tires every time you stop in at a gas station...

Pop the front hood, and check the fluids...  Turn on the lights & hit turn signals, etc...

Takes about 3 minutes to check all your fluids, eyeball-check your tires, and check your lights / blinkers while your gas tank is filling up.

No need for expensive sensors and over-complicated computer controlled bullshit to perpetuate laziness!
Sorry that isn't going to happen in today's pajama boy society.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:49:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 9:50:29 AM EDT by WindKnot1-1]
Only 32K? Apparently the OP doesn't rotate his tires? If you do only two things in life for preventative maintenance on your vehicle, changing the oil and rotating the tires are those two things.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:23:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:23:55 PM EDT
sometimes it's just the stem portion of the sensor and on some types it can be unscrewed and a new one put in cheap, check and see if it has a small set screw on the side as it goes into the sensor or filip it over and check the bottom for a small screw.  if the sensor itself is broke it will have to be replaced,. keep that sensor,it has a code on it,  it can be cloned to a new unit and might save you a few bucks if the shop charges for a relearn fee. if you clone the old sensor to a new one your car won't know the difference so there won't be anything to relearn. .
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:26:37 PM EDT
I fuckin swear to god my car will have a carb and points controlled ignition. this shit on cars is out of hand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:33:18 PM EDT
View Quote

That and the blue piss you have to put in new pickups.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:39:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 2:42:26 PM EDT by Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:46:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RWC57:
I have a 12' Chevy Tahoe. One of mine went bad and I bought one on Amazon for 25 bucks and went to Walmart and they installed it for 20. I know...Walmart but I have only had good experiences with the one i go to...
View Quote

They straight refused to touch my car, because it has the system installed.

That made Sears some money. They were surprisingly reasonable and weren't scared of the TPMS system.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 2:48:47 PM EDT by ma96782]
IMHO, TPMS are retarded.  Or at least they were created by the engineering establishment intent on gaining more profits for the car companies.

Remember the debate on the ECU's code being copyrighted material and not to be fussed with?  When something goes wrong.....OMG!

Just give me the simple life.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:49:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:53:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
why would you force your car to stay in open loop operation? You like getting shitty gas mileage?
View Quote

TPMS has 0 to do with open or closed loop operation.

Things that I would do if I had a TPMS car that needed a new sensor.

Next time it gets tires, all sensors are removed, and then I'll pull the cluster, and the TPMS warning bulb.

No more light.

If its more than just a warning light that you can't just pull, the other option of four sensors in a pressurized vessel would work, too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:59:07 PM EDT
2008 Honda Civic with 166K miles, all four TPMS have been rebuilt.  Two of them twice.  It's not a DIY job unless you have to tools to take a tire off the rim and reinstall it, and then balance it afterwards.

I've asked numerous times if there was some kind of upgrade kit to fix them permanently.  They always say no.  I would be willing to pay up to $100 per tire for said upgrade if it meant the problem went away forever.

Good news is the rebuild is cheap only about $20.00 but it's a pain in the ass have have to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:00:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By safe1:

I watched the tire guy change a tire and saw him hit the valve stem with the bar.  He looked up and saw me looking at him.  He proceeded to mount, but when they were done the indicator was on.  The manager tried to reset things with some kind of tool, but it stayed on.  They had to go to the Chevy dealership and replace the damaged stem.
View All Quotes

Firestone place said they would replace it for $80, but I had no clue if a ripoff or not so declined, probably should have let them do it.  

I watched the tire guy change a tire and saw him hit the valve stem with the bar.  He looked up and saw me looking at him.  He proceeded to mount, but when they were done the indicator was on.  The manager tried to reset things with some kind of tool, but it stayed on.  They had to go to the Chevy dealership and replace the damaged stem.

We have a fleet of ~50 trucks. The only time I have ever had those sensors go bad is at the same time the tires are being replaced. Coincidence?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:09:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pudwak:

We have a fleet of ~50 trucks. The only time I have ever had those sensors go bad is at the same time the tires are being replaced. Coincidence?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pudwak:

Tire people are the guys who have proven to be competent enough to make it out of the oil change pit, but not enough to actually work on cars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:14:02 PM EDT
sounds like you need a new vehicle, this one is ready for the scrap yard...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:27:29 PM EDT
The TPMS sensors in my silverado are pretty much useless. I bought aftermarket wheels and tires and didn't have TPMS sensors put in, but my truck still thinks I have them installed and that they are reading the correct pressure
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:32:34 PM EDT
My father took all his TPSs and sealed them in a PCV pipe with a valve stem installed.  
He keeps it under the seat of his truck.  When the light comes on he air up the pipe.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:39:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LinggrrLonggrr:

You sir, are a genius.
View All Quotes

You sir, are a genius.

No, not really.  They don't work that way.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 3:41:10 PM EDT by StewartTR]
Originally Posted By Disintegr8or:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Disintegr8or:

You sir, are a genius.

Even if they did taking the gauge cluster out and putting a little black tape over the fracking light/LED would be much less maintenance and take up almost zero space.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 3:43:22 PM EDT by bigrob83]
was it "bad" before you went in?
or did they find a bad sensor... with their bad tpms finder? (the tire machine)

they are pretty easy to break and not that expensive to replace
I dont understand the hate for them. alerting you that a tire is losing pressure and allowing you to make a plan and get off the road safely
isnt all that bad of a option.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:44:59 PM EDT

you could always steal one off somebody elses truck.  that's what someone did to me.  so now I have a light on all the time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:56:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Robja:

you could always steal one off somebody elses truck.  that's what someone did to me.  so now I have a light on all the time.
View Quote

if somebody stole my tpms sensor I wouldnt even be mad
just amazed
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:58:50 PM EDT
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/4/2015 4:03:12 PM EDT by Keekleberrys]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 4:10:51 PM EDT
Is the TPMS light flashing?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top