Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 6:05:56 PM EDT
Saw 'em in concert in 1977.

THAT SHIT ROCKED!

Still one of my favorite driving songs.

Rock steady...rock on...

BOSTON
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:07:14 PM EDT
I liked the song, but damn, it has to be the most over-played song ever, even beating out "Stairway to Heaven" or "Free Bird" with ease.

LC
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:08:05 PM EDT
For driving songs I find it hard to beat ZZ Top. That is, in my opinion, hands down the best driving/road tripping music around.

Driving around town listening to ZZ Top with the windows down...ahhhhh. I love spring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:08:24 PM EDT
wore out three copies of that cassette tape cruising in my best friends car back in the 80's . the whole album was good
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 6:10:18 PM EDT by LoBrau]
This is now a kick-ass rock thread. I don't need instructions to know how to rock:

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LongueCarabine:
I liked the song, but damn, it has to be the most over-played song ever, even beating out "Stairway to Heaven" or "Free Bird" with ease.

LC

I'm right there with ya on that one.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 6:10:53 PM EDT by M-60]
I was 7 in 1977.

"Moving Pictures" is a great driving album.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By omega62:

THAT SHIT ROCKED!

Rock steady...rock on...

BOSTON

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:10:44 PM EDT

Approves of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:11:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MagazineFed:
Originally Posted By omega62:

THAT SHIT ROCKED!

Rock steady...rock on...

BOSTON

http://pugetsoundblogs.com/bremertonbeat/files/2008/10/carl_athf.jpg

Okay, so times were a little different.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:14:39 PM EDT
Foreplay/Long Time
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:14:51 PM EDT

LC

Nope. Sweet fucking Caroline is the most annoying, obnoxious, overplayed shitty song of all time. Pisses me off just thinking about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:16:58 PM EDT
"More than a Feeling" by Boston was my junior high prom song.LOL. And yes they rock!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 6:19:07 PM EDT by floridahunter07]
On my way home from my doctor appointment in Tampa on Thursday, I was driving with the windows down on I-75 blasting Nothin' But a Good Time by Poison. Good times.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:20:22 PM EDT

LC

Nothing beats Freebird for overplayed song of the century.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:22:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tanlegsintx:
"More than a Feeling" by Boston was my junior high prom song.LOL. And yes they rock!

First song I ever danced to. We're talking 1977, with Ruth Morgenstern. This really take me back....
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:52 PM EDT
The bass player...Kimberley Dahme
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:24:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M-60:
I was 7 in 1977.

"Moving Pictures" is a great driving album.

-Mark.

Rush is the greatest band that ever lived. I've seen them 6 times including Moving Pictures tour.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:24:32 PM EDT
ahhhh brings back memories of trips to the Sarasota planetarium for laser light shows in high school
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:26:43 PM EDT
It's a great song, but I like "Peace of Mind"..............
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 6:32:18 PM EDT by stockshift]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
The bass player...Kimberley Dahme

Isn't she the (co-) lead vocalist now? I bought Corporate America and she is lead on a few songs. Not bad at all.

Edit: WTF? New copies of Corporate America are going for $99 on Amazon, with used copies starting at $30??? Did Boston become collectible overnight or something?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:29:32 PM EDT
Brad Delp took his life in 2007. Wimp.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:32:23 PM EDT
I saw Boston, their first tour, in a small Southern town (Spartanburg, S.C) in 1977. They played in the basement of the town's civic auditorium while an evangelical preacher held a revival in the main auditorium hall above. Starcastle was the opening band.
The preacher visited my high school days before the concert and offered to buy anyone's ticket who was planning on attending the "rock music that was certainty the work of the Devil."
Satan must have influenced me & my friends because we held on to our tickets and saw Boston in a tiny basement while the preacher upstairs had to end services early because of the loud Devil music and marijuana smoke.
Memories.....I only wish they were clearer....

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:39:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NoVaGator:
ahhhh brings back memories of trips to the Sarasota planetarium for laser light shows in high school

Hey, me too! I think they still do those.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:41:49 PM EDT

LC

It is one of the very few songs that gets played a lot on the radio that I don't tire of.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:44:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 6:46:45 PM EDT by floridahunter07]
Journey's Don't Stop Believin' was my high school graduation song... and I graduated in 2007. lol

Edit: And I had some serious hair.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:51:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SplintNicket:

LC

Nothing beats Freebird for overplayed song of the century.

Preach it, Brother.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:00:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 7:02:03 PM EDT by SgtKiwi]
Boston.... Don't Look Back

Good stuff
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Have you ever lost someone to suicide?

Neither you nor I know what drove Brad Delp to take his own life.
If you lived in his shoes you might kill yourself as well.
So I rebuke your callous and narrow minded comment.

Brad Delp was a talented man and a good friend so fuck you.

(to be followed by the obligatory "I'd never kill myself for any reason" bullshit comment)

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:14:44 PM EDT
Another Boston favorite... A Man I'll Never Be
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:21:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:23:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:37:03 PM EDT
Love that song, mostly because its one of the few songs on the original Guitar Hero that I could completely kick ass at.

Born in 1980
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:03:59 AM EDT
It's still one of my favorite songs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:10:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Foreplay/Long Time

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:15:45 AM EDT
More Than A Feeling.... The song that started it all.
Today Brad has been gone 3 years, Play this and all your Boston favs today.
Play them LOUD, Play them OFTEN, ENJOY, REPEAT ALL DAY / NITE LONG
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By andrasik:
For driving songs I find it hard to beat ZZ Top. That is, in my opinion, hands down the best driving/road tripping music around.

Driving around town listening to ZZ Top with the windows down...ahhhhh. I love spring.

driving songs?

James Gang - Funk 49
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:19:55 AM EDT
Ya I remember playing that in my 75 Maverick, on 8-track!
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:21:07 AM EDT
I didn't realize they had a Yeti playing the drums. I thought all those guys were MIT PHDs or something.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:30:25 AM EDT
^^ If I recall correctly, Tom Scholtz has a Master's degree from MIT. It may have been in electrical engineering or something similar ... does anyone here remember the Tom Scholtz Rockman for guitars?

NB I think Freddie Mercury and some other members of Queen had degrees from Oxford. Quite the cerebral bunch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:32:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Foreplay/Long Time

Oh yeah. I saw them in '77 or '78, can't really remember for sure and it was incredible. It was the first real rock concert I ever attended. There was this sensation that the floor was moving it was so loud, and so clear. It was a very long time until I saw another band who could really produce a live performance like that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:35:29 AM EDT
Another "blast from the past."
Ah, back when music was real and not marketed, processed,
lip-synched and made so that the female "stars" had something
to wiggle to. (Thanks SO much, Madonna, Britney, et al.)
The only one who I can stand to see is Shakira, and I don't care for most of her music.

Back to the subject at hand.
Love Boston. First 2 albums - AWESOME.
Second 2 - GREAT. (But not as good as the first 2)
Corporate America album - WTF?!?!

As a live band - not so much. I saw them on their Walk On Tour. (I think)
Music was great, but it was mechanical. Think of setting up a PA system in an arena,
and then using your cd player as the main input. To me that is what it sounded like.
I still play their music regularly, but I am realizing that many bands have changed
over the years and it is just better to buy the CD and play it. The sad thing is that
the ones this has happened to are many of the bands I really like. They just
aren't the same.
(Kansas, Journey, Styx, Chicago, Boston, Heart. These are just a few that come to mind
right away)
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:36:10 AM EDT
Saw them at the Texas Jam in 1987.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:46:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:52:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stockshift:
^^ If I recall correctly, Tom Scholtz has a Master's degree from MIT. It may have been in electrical engineering or something similar ... does anyone here remember the Tom Scholtz Rockman for guitars?

NB I think Freddie Mercury and some other members of Queen had degrees from Oxford. Quite the cerebral bunch.

I remember the Rockman. A kid I hung around with got one of the first ones out. He was and still is one of the finest guitar players I've ever heard, anywhere, anytime. His folks pretty much supported his gear habit and he had tons of outboard equipment. Well, one day he shows up with a guitar, an amp, and a Rockman and states that "everything has changed".

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:55:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Willz:
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Have you ever lost someone to suicide?

Neither you nor I know what drove Brad Delp to take his own life.
If you lived in his shoes you might kill yourself as well.
So I rebuke your callous and narrow minded comment.

Brad Delp was a talented man and a good friend so fuck you.

(to be followed by the obligatory "I'd never kill myself for any reason" bullshit comment)

I've lost more than enough freinds to suicide, muder and drug/alcohol addiction. I've been near that edge myself a long time ago. I can tell you that it is the ultimate expression of SELFISHNESS. Wrap your mind around that for a while.

Keith_J is correct.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:57:25 AM EDT
My favorite part of Madagascar 2.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:15:54 AM EDT
Tom Scholtz was working towards or already had an MIT engineering degree when "Boston" was signed. He had recorded the demo on a 16 track studio he had in his basement, but the record company wanted the first album recorded in LA.

Scholtz hired some guys out of the musician's unuon and sent them out to LA as a cover, while he and Delp recorded the album in Tom's basement.

The "More Than a Feeling" album, became one of the highest selling first albums of all time, ten million copies IIRC, featuring Delp on vocals, and Tom Scholtz on guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums.

Except the vocals, that's one guy.

He used some of his royalties to fund Sholtz R and D, which was noted for the Rockman, among other devices. I still have one, and it still works as well as it did the day I bought it.

It's too bad Tom is so strongly against MIDI and digital recording techniques. With his genius, and the ability to layer fades, mixes, and lighting commands via computer, there's no limit to what his "one man band" approach could have accomplished, even if he never came with two miles of a synth.

Top Top