Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 2:45:23 PM EDT
Anyone have a link to this picture that is causing so much outrage? And yes, I've tried google.

EDIT: Found it...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Where did ya find it ? Im still looking.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Clicky

it's not that big. scroll down a bit. I don't see what the problem is. Why hide what happened. Also, why is it ok to read about it but not see it? Pictures, along with a story, help people to understand things. Imagine a paper that just used pictures without stories, makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The other picture they ran was a bit more graphic... as in up close and personal.

You might think it's no big deal, but the decision to run the pictures showed lack of sympathy for the girls family.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
not meaning to hijack, but......

doesn't that pic of the herald look real cheesy, kinda like National Enquirerer, (or however it is spelled), and Isn't John Kerry's home state Mass?  So, if they have a cheesy paper, then he must be cheesy as well, right? RIGHT??!!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
After giving it further thought, I suppose you're right. In a situation like that they should probably ask the permission of the family. I think maybe the families feelings should be taken into consideration not the wishes of some squeemish people. However, I would think in journalism that asking someone's permission on how to report the news isn't widely lauded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
anyone got link to the pictures on the inside?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Reprint permission

'Boston Herald' Apologizes for Photos of Dead Fan

By                          E&P Staff

Published: October 23, 2004 9:00 AM  

NEW YORK  The Boston Herald apologized Friday for running
bloody photos of an Emerson College journalism student who was killed by police in the celebration that followed the Red Sox' playoff victory over the New York Yankees.

"Yesterday, we ran two very graphic photos that
angered and upset many in our community," Editorial
Director Ken Chandler said. "Our aim was to
illustrate this terrible tragedy as comprehensively as
possible and to prevent a repetition by portraying the
harsh reality of what can happen when a crowd acts
irresponsibly.

"It was never our intent to disrespect Victoria
Snelgrove or her family," Chandler said. "In
retrospect, the images of this unusually ugly incident
were too graphic. I apologize to the Snelgroves and
the community at large."

The New York Times, whose parent company also owns The Boston Globe, noted on Saturday, "Tension over the death seemed to grow on Friday, in part because The Boston Herald published a graphic front-page photograph of Ms. Snelgrove bleeding in the street and an even starker picture inside the paper. Outraged readers flooded the newspaper's phone lines and Web site with complaints."  

Snelgrove was a bystander in a crowd of thousands outside Fenway Park early Thursday when she was shot by one of
several pepper balls fired by police after fans threw bottles and bricks.

"The accurate reporting in print of how Ms. Snelgrove died and the less graphic photos of the huge and unruly crowd were enough to convey the devastating truth of what happened," said David Procopio, spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office. "I only hope that a friend or relative prevented the Snelgroves from reading your newspaper today."

E&P Staff  

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if they're the same pictures, but go to ogrish.com and look down about halfway for "Victoria Snelgrove Shot to Death With Pepper Spray Pellet After Red Sox Celebration".  Note: that site is pretty disturbing so don't go clicking around if you aren't ready for it.

LL
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]
When my son killed himself in '97, the campus newspaper ran a front page photo of the body bag holding his remains being rolled away on a gurney.  I pains me to this day.  In a domestic, civilian environment, the dead bodies aren't news.  The circumstances are news.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The Boston Herald gives new meaning to the jourlnalist's axiom, "if it bleeds, it leads."
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not sure if they're the same pictures, but go to ogrish.com and look down about halfway for "Victoria Snelgrove Shot to Death With Pepper Spray Pellet After Red Sox Celebration".  Note: that site is pretty disturbing so don't go clicking around if you aren't ready for it.

Well, at least the police officer that shot her dead got home safely that night.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, at least the police officer that shot her dead got home safely that night.

way to be a dick...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

way to be a dick...

It is every moron's tagline here it seems.

God bless that girl's family.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#14]
When I die I want them to let my body rot for a couple days in the hot sun, then launch me into a terrorist compound to spread disease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top