Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2001 3:41:13 PM EDT
Well finally had to toss the old boots and go get a new pair so i'm needing help on how to break in good quality leather work boots. I get the same pair and size about every three years and finally went out today and bought me a new pair. I've already saddle soaped them up so now do i just have to endure while they fuck with my feet or is there any sure fire way to get these puppies broken in with minimal discomfort to my feet. To be specific on the areas of discomfort; the toe area needs stretched a little and of course the top of the toe area flexes into my foot causing discomfort. Last tiem i broke them in i just took the painful route and suffered for a few weeks but the problem is that this time i'm breaking them in during the winter and its damn cold in my neck of the woods so my feet hardly sweet which is the major factor in loosening shoes up when wearing them. so any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanx

Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Soak 'em wet and walk 'em dry!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
spend all day parading up and down the square with the sergent major!!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the soaking them in water and walking them dry.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
7IDL, I have a book I'd like to read.
Seriously, to break 'em in, wear 'em a lot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
spend all day parading up and down the square with the sergent major!!!!
View Quote

I'd much rather go to a movie, sir!
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be the third one to support the "wear 'em wet and walk 'em dry" approach.  Did that with several pairs of combat boots in the past and never had a problem with blisters, etc...

hsld.
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]
RE: Paying someone to break them in...

A buddy and I wear the same boots.  Vasque Sundowner, in 9.5 narrow.  Very nice (and not cheap) boots.  I've got about 3 years of daily wear on mine (I own them, a pair of sandals, and a pair of plastic doubles.  The Vasques are my daily wear shoes)  I once crawled out of the tent, and managed to put his left boot and my right boot on.  I spent the next half hour cooking breakfast, and wondering what was wrong with my left foot.  He was wearing sandals, so he didn't notice.  Finally I took the boot off, and realized it was his.  It would have killed my feet to walk a couple miles in his boot.  People's feet break boots in differently.  Don't buy used leather boots!  Used plastics may be okay, I don't really know...

/rl
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My mother was an officer in the Army from '80-'84.  She told me about a field exercise that her platoon went on at Ft. Huachuca.  In the Arizona desert the nights get bitchin' cold and all the little nasty critters look for heat to keep themselves warm.  She woke up at 4:30 in the morning to get her platoon up and ready to go and was getting ready to put her boots on.  She reached under the cot and head a faint rattle and some rustling noises.  A rattlesnake had crawled under her cot and cosied up to her boots.  She woke up the whole camp by shooting it with her rifle, but the fun wasn't over yet.  After taking the snake out of the tent to show the crowd of troops who had gathered and pitch it she went back into the tent to put her boots on.  When she picked the left boot up it moved a little bit, so she up-ended it.  A 5" long black scorpion fell out of the boot.

Not only should you make sure to wear your own boots, and put them on the correct foot, you should also make damn sure that you shake them out in the field before putting them on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Rub all leather INSIDE thoroly with mink oil

Wear your oldest, thickest socks - cotton preferred.  They WILL take on oil and dye, so make sure they are a pair (or two) you are about to toss.

Start loosely tied.  Tie a little tighter each hour, doing easy on-foot woork (more standing than walking.)  When you have the boots tied down tightly, the next day will be for activity.  That night, flex the toe of the boot up and down my hand, as that is the part that will "bite" your foot if not broken in carefully...

Gradually increase on-foot activity over the course of a week, and keep the boots well-oiled.  Mink Oil will enhance the waterproofness (?) of the leather and will help it mould to your feet...

After two or three months you should be able to wear them without socks if necessary, and experience no discomfort.

DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE WEAR YOUR BOOTS!  EVER!

Key fitment areas to watch when you buy boots...

Ball of foot.  Should be comfortable to _very_ slightly tight.  NOT loose.

Heel - Should be comfortable, with NO room to move.  NEVER tight.

Toe - should have adequate clearance for top of toe, and sides of toes.  Pay especial attention to fitment around small toe - this can and will cause trouble later.  Toes should NEVER be tight!

Arch - boot should feel like it comes right up to your foot.  Arch should neither put pressure on the sole of the foot, nor should it have airspace between foot and insole.

Ankle - WHen tightly laced around ankle, boot lips should NEVER touch in front.  A little air is good, more better.  If the lips touch, you will not get proper ankle support from the boot.

A note on steel toes - I know men who have lost toes to steel caps!  You are looking for more of a "cup" style toe than a cap.  A proper safety toe now has a cap WITH a base plate (all one piece) that will extend beck to the front of the arch or so.  A plain cap will cut thru the sole if the load is heavy enough, and you will have loose toes in your boot.  A "cup" style toe (steel or composite) will protect your toes by keeping its integrity.  In extreme cases, the entire cup could be pushed out the bottom of the boot, with the foot following.  You will have thoroly wrecked your boots, but you will still have all your toes...

A few things to think about...

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
First get a rubber hammer and bang in the toe and heel area to "soften" up the leader already and than like others posted: soak 'm, put 'm on and go for a 10 mile walk or wear them all day.
Afterwards put some shoegrease on them after you've cleaned them and repeat this each time you thoroughly cleaned them.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Lend them to a shuicide bomber.  The C4 softens up the leather nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top