Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2003 6:52:48 PM EDT
I just read the greatest book: "Strongly Correlated Fermions and Bosons in Low-Dimensional Disordered Systems".  I couldn't put it down, had to read it in one sitting.  Here's a synopsis:

"Recent advances in material technology and low temperature techniques have led to the discovery of new physical phenomena. The topics included in this volume cover many exciting surprises found in novel nanostructures and low-dimensional devices of submicron size, including quantum interference and electron-electron interactions in transport in metals, semiconductors and superconductors, theories of the Luttinger liquid of electrons in carbon nanotubes, Wigner crystals in 2-D electronic systems, the Kondo effect in quantum dots in the Coulomb blockade regime, quantum chaos in ballistic and disordered microstructures, and mesoscopic effects in superconductors. Experimental papers cover the physics of the Kondo effect in 0-D devices, transport in 1-D nanotubes, magneto-optics of skyrmions and composite fermions in the quantum Hall regime, and a possible metal-insulator transition in 2-D electron and hole gases."

Now, if you could somehow blend this with "Unintended Consequences" you'd have a real book of the year.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, like you know what any of that *means*!

If you do, in fact know what it means...

Geek!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just read the greatest book: "Strongly Correlated Fermions and Bosons in Low-Dimensional Disordered Systems".  I couldn't put it down, had to read it in one sitting.  Here's a synopsis:

"Recent advances in material technology and low temperature techniques have led to the discovery of new physical phenomena. The topics included in this volume cover many exciting surprises found in novel nanostructures and low-dimensional devices of submicron size, including quantum interference and electron-electron interactions in transport in metals, semiconductors and superconductors, theories of the Luttinger liquid of electrons in carbon nanotubes, Wigner crystals in 2-D electronic systems, the Kondo effect in quantum dots in the Coulomb blockade regime, quantum chaos in ballistic and disordered microstructures, and mesoscopic effects in superconductors. Experimental papers cover the physics of the Kondo effect in 0-D devices, transport in 1-D nanotubes, magneto-optics of skyrmions and composite fermions in the quantum Hall regime, and a possible metal-insulator transition in 2-D electron and hole gases."

Now, if you could somehow blend this with "Unintended Consequences" you'd have a real book of the year. [;D]
View Quote

Can you fix that digital watch I had when I was kid?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll take Global Thermonuclear War for $400, Alex.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Go down to the basement and get me a bucket of neutrons.

Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh, like you know what any of that *means*!

If you do, in fact know what it means...

Geek!!
View Quote

Sounds like a lot of Quantum Physics, somehow in relation to metallurgy and electronics through the use of nanotecnology.

Maybe the title is supposed to be "how to build a better microchip".
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, if you could somehow blend this with "Unintended Consequences" you'd have a real book of the year. [;D]
View Quote

Can you fix that digital watch I had when I was kid?
View Quote

No, but I *might* be able to set the clock on your VCR.  Not sure, but maybe. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, I ran across this little gem while doing a search on half.com for a used copy of the big book about the FAL rifle.  Ran the title on amazon.com to get the synopsis.  I'm sure reading 2 pages of this would have the same narcotic effect as taking 10 valium or watching 5 seconds of a Keanu Reeves movie. [;D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I read the synopsis and now I have a bloody nose and a headache. Time for a beer.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
If you didn't read that for a class you need to get out more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=220803]Why did my bread collapse?[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm waiting for the movie to come out on this one.

Quoted:
[red]Why did my bread collapse? [/red]
View Quote

Hey! You got Fermions in my Bosons!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Blah, Blah, Blah,

View Quote

No, you'd have another Tom Clancy novel.[;D]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Travis McGee's [i]Enemies, Foreign & Domestic[/i]

Go to http://www.EnemiesForeignAndDomestic.com for more info.  McGee does a "cleaner" job than Unintended Consequences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top