Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 4:35:10 PM EDT
Well not really a review, just thought I'd let you know if you are interested in the history of the Army Air Corps and the role played by the B-24 Liberator, then you should give this book a read.

It's the story of George McGovern, who served as a B-24 Pilot in the 15th Air Force. He ended up station at Cerignola, Italy and flew 35 bombing missing from there. After 35 missions you were allowed to come home. Shortly after he flew his last mission over Linz, Austria, Germany surrendered.

McGovern stated that the thing they most feared were the German 88mm Flak guns, those were very deadly. There was no defense against them once you reached your Initial Point and turned you had to fly straight and level for the bomb sights to accurately drop the bombs.

Anyway you might enjoy it. The B-24 was a great heavy bomber. It did not get nearly the publicity that it deserved. Within a year after the war ended most B-24s had been cut up into scrap. According to the book there are currently only 2 flying B-24 left.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding book.

I liked it better than B.O.B.

Must have been cause my Grandfather flew 24s.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this the book by Ambrose? Or is this the one he plagerized from?
Either way i've heard it was a good read.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My father was the nosegunner on a B24, but I have to admit this book was a bit on the boring side.  BOB was much better, as was D-Day and Citizen Soldiers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this the book by Ambrose? Or is this the one he plagerized from?
Either way i've heard it was a good read.
View Quote

Yes its by Stephen Ambrose, I neglected to mention that.

My father was a B-24 pilot during the war. I always wondered how you could fly all those missions and never make Captain, but thats exactly what happened to McGovern and my father.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top