Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/1/2002 7:45:45 AM EST
I just started this book, but it's written on a subject near and dear to all our hearts: the Spartans at Thermopylae. The author, Steven Pressfield, has done a lot of research and tells the detailed story from the point of view of a squire to one of the Spartan warriors, and the only survivor among them. He was actually dealt a mortal wound, but Apollo sent him back to tell the story. He gets his chance, and lays it all out for Xerxes, the Persian king. I'm about a third of the way into it, and I'm really enjoying it. Molon Labe!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:01:21 AM EST
Just finished 2 weeks ago, almost cried at the end, what a great book!!! Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 8:39:36 AM EST
I enjoyed it as well, but it wasn't exactly what I expected - being a modern novel, I was expecting it to be written in a more modern style. Rather, it was written more like the prose translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey I recall reading in high school - that is, seemingly a bit overdramatic at times. Rocko
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:42:03 PM EST
Probably one of the best books you'll ever read. I've read it 4 or 5 times and given it to at least 3 people. Its also on the Commandant of the Marine Corps favorite reading list. [url]http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/reading/current.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:08:06 PM EST
Yeah, [u]Gates of Fire[/u] was good. I liked Pressfield's [u]Tides of War[/u] better, just because it was about my favorite figure from antiquity, Alcibiades. Robert Graves' book [u]I, Claudius[/u] is a fantastic novel about the Caesars and the intrigue and politics in their family. Pressfield's books aren't half as good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 4:08:29 PM EST
Read it about six months ago because someone here suggested it. Excellent book!
Top Top