Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/4/2012 10:31:59 AM EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/us-auction-gangsters-guns-idUSTRE8031R420120104.

(Reuters) - A Tommy gun and a shotgun believed seized in a police shootout with gangsters Bonnie and Clyde in Joplin, Missouri, in 1933 are headed for the auction block.

Strong interest is expected in the January 21 auction of the weapons, which were displayed in a Springfield, Missouri, police museum for nearly 40 years until the owner decided recently to put them up for sale.

The .45-caliber 1921 Thompson submachine gun is better known as a "Tommy gun," commonly depicted in movies and crime lore. It and an 1897 12-gauge Winchester shotgun will be sold by Mayo Auction & Realty in Kansas City.

A firearms dealer in Liberty, Missouri, who once sold a pistol owned by 19th Century U.S. outlaw Frank James said she expects the Tommy gun to sell for at least $25,000.

Kathy Peisert, owner of Great Guns, said the chance to obtain guns with a colorful history would excite collectors.

On April 13, 1933, police raided a Joplin apartment where Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were hiding out. Two officers died in the shootout. Bonnie and Clyde escaped.

A police officer gave the weapons to Mark Lairmore, a Tulsa police officer at the time, and they have remained in the family ever since, according to an account posted on the Mayo website.

Lairmore's great-grandson, also named Mark Lairmore, said his father and grandfather were dead and there was little sentimental reason to keep the guns.

"I feel it's time for someone with an appreciation of antique guns and the history behind these guns to own them and care for them," Lairmore said in a statement by Mayo.

Company owner Robert Mayo declined to estimate the value of the guns.

"A lot of people have a fascination with Bonnie and Clyde and it's very rare we get a chance to sell something like this," Mayo said.

The notorious outlaws were gunned down in a police ambush in May 1934 in Louisiana, a little more than a year after the shootout in Joplin.

Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty played the outlaws in the 1967 movie "Bonnie and Clyde" directed by Arthur Penn.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:37:39 AM EDT
I've never understood the fascination with cop killers and thieves. Best thing that those pieces of shit ever did was drive down that old road towards the Gibsland Posse.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:52:56 AM EDT
I'd like to own a famous/notorious gun. That would be cool as all billy heck.

As far a criminals go, bad deaths to them all is cool with me. I would think it would be cool to have a gun from the death car with a .30-06 round stuck in it from Frank Hammer! That would be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:00:00 AM EDT
those guns will sell for a massive shitpile of money

something like this is at the very pinnacle of the collecting pyramid

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:02:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By lildegen:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/us-auction-gangsters-guns-idUSTRE8031R420120104.

(Reuters) - A Tommy gun and a shotgun believed seized in a police shootout with gangsters Bonnie and Clyde in Joplin, Missouri, in 1933 are headed for the auction block.

Strong interest is expected in the January 21 auction of the weapons, which were displayed in a Springfield, Missouri, police museum for nearly 40 years until the owner decided recently to put them up for sale.

The .45-caliber 1921 Thompson submachine gun is better known as a "Tommy gun," commonly depicted in movies and crime lore. It and an 1897 12-gauge Winchester shotgun will be sold by Mayo Auction & Realty in Kansas City.

A firearms dealer in Liberty, Missouri, who once sold a pistol owned by 19th Century U.S. outlaw Frank James said she expects the Tommy gun to sell for at least $25,000.

Kathy Peisert, owner of Great Guns, said the chance to obtain guns with a colorful history would excite collectors.

On April 13, 1933, police raided a Joplin apartment where Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were hiding out. Two officers died in the shootout. Bonnie and Clyde escaped.

A police officer gave the weapons to Mark Lairmore, a Tulsa police officer at the time, and they have remained in the family ever since, according to an account posted on the Mayo website.

Lairmore's great-grandson, also named Mark Lairmore, said his father and grandfather were dead and there was little sentimental reason to keep the guns.

"I feel it's time for someone with an appreciation of antique guns and the history behind these guns to own them and care for them," Lairmore said in a statement by Mayo.

"A lot of people have a fascination with Bonnie and Clyde and it's very rare we get a chance to sell something like this," Mayo said.

The notorious outlaws were gunned down in a police ambush in May 1934 in Louisiana, a little more than a year after the shootout in Joplin.

Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty played the outlaws in the 1967 movie "Bonnie and Clyde" directed by Arthur Penn.

that's a pretty safe statement.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:06:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rod727:

if it runs that is about the going rate for a nice thompson
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:14:03 AM EDT

i would tack on a zero to that number.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:15:50 AM EDT
what about that 1903 colt pocket hammerless .32 that bonnie used to strap to her thigh?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:20:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bdhsnake:

id be surprised if it doesnt go double

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:22:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Searcherfortruth:
I'd like to own a famous/notorious gun. That would be cool as all billy heck.

As far a criminals go, bad deaths to them all is cool with me. I would think it would be cool to have a gun from the death car with a .30-06 .35 Remington round stuck in it from Frank Hammer! That would be awesome.

fify
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:27:25 AM EDT
I heard that story on the local news. Did the folks then have the forsight to register the Tommy or is it demilled?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:32:05 AM EDT
The only Thompsons used at the Joplin shootout where police weapons..........Bonnie and Clyde got their full auto stuff from NG armories and I never heard of them using Thompsons .
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:33:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StonerStudent:
The only Thompsons used at the Joplin shootout where police weapons..........Bonnie and Clyde got their full auto stuff from NG armories and I never heard of them using Thompsons .

I wonder what happened to the BAR's?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:36:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cypher15:

Originally Posted By bdhsnake:

id be surprised if it doesnt go double

Isn't it a fully transferable machine gun?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:36:52 AM EDT

If I remeber there should have been 4 BARs ....and two are in the Ranger display.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:38:25 AM EDT
Wonder if Depp will bid?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:44:42 AM EDT
I would like to see some proof on the Thompson being B&C's........I never heard of them using them. And every pic of weapons they used never a Thompson
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 11:54:50 AM EDT by Sumo]
I would like to see some proof on the Thompson being B&C's........I never heard of them using them. And every pic of weapons they used never a Thompson

Provenance is not airtight.

http://www.auctionbymayo.com/index.php?subp=1&sct=&pg=ap&pid=23883&ap_sub=cat

Full story and pics in link above.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:48:59 AM EDT
I know they had a cut down Browning A5/Remington 11 shotgun...and knew they had the BAR, but was never aware of them having the thompson.

CVN
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:53:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ClatuVertanictu:
I know they had a cut down Browning A5/Remington 11 shotgun...and knew they had the BAR, but was never aware of them having the thompson.

CVN

was Buck at the Joplin shootout? His maybe?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:02:25 PM EDT
First thing I wondered is if the Thompson is transferable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:05:42 PM EDT

CVN

In 10 gauge IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:08:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By John87:

i would tack on a zero to that number.

This.. 100K min.!!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:09:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Silesius:
Yeah, it's serial # 4208 and it was amnestied in '68. I'm looking at it over on a Thompson collector website and they're scratching their
heads a little over the provenance too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 12:13:43 PM EDT by theBUBBAMANcan]
Originally Posted By BANDITOZ71:
I've never understood the fascination with cop killers and thieves. Best thing that those pieces of shit ever did was drive down that old road towards the Gibsland Posse.

The only reason they were on the run as long as they were is because a lot of people helped them.

Some people regarded them as heros because they considered the banks to be the real thieves/gangsters.

Of course, things are much different now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 12:14:18 PM EDT by Blue_Monkey]
Originally Posted By Sumo:

Provenance is not airtight.

http://www.auctionbymayo.com/index.php?subp=1&sct=&pg=ap&pid=23883&ap_sub=cat

Full story and pics in link above.

No it's not.

At least the the gun was registered in 1968:

Mr. Melton Lairmore, Mark Lairmore’s father, registered the Thompson Sub-machine Gun under the name of Lairmore Armored Car Inc. in 1968 in accordance with the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:14:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Treadhead:

Yeah, it's serial # 4208 and it was amnestied in '68. I'm looking at it over on a Thompson collector website and they're scratching their

Have a link? Right now all I see is a nice old thompson with a good story attached to it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:18:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sumo:
Originally Posted By Treadhead:

Have a link? Right now all I see is a nice old thompson with a good story attached to it.

I'll leave the link cold.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13539

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:20:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 7:33:39 AM EDT by 57Strat]
interesting
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:22:11 PM EDT
It's been discussed extensively by the Thompson collectors' board and the conclusion is there is no evidence to support the assertion these were B&C guns (in fact, the evidence is to the contrary as they were known to use BARs and shotguns).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:25:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 12:26:49 PM EDT by AL50bmgshooter]
yep, A pair of historic firearms believed to have been owned and used by the outlaws Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker will be sold in this auction
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:29:07 PM EDT
NO record of clyde ever using a tommy
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:47:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AL50bmgshooter:
yep, A pair of historic firearms believed to have been owned and used by the outlaws Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker will be sold in this auction

believed

lots of stretchy elastic in that word

"this is the kimber 1911 and Plainfield M1 my granddad carried in WWII"
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2012 1:09:23 PM EDT by nhsport]

Gee, I seem to remember a photo of Bonny holding a thompson,isn't that the one with her and the cigar?( nope that was a pistol)
I could easily be wrong or could remember some made up crap from a movie.

Unless the thompson was registered (unlikely) it would not be able to be owned by a private citizen right?

If B&C stole it from anybody (especially the Government) how can the PD be giveing it to a guy (even if he was a cop at the time)

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:14:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Unless the thompson was registered (unlikely) it would not be able to be owned by a private citizen right?

It's transferrable, amnesty-registered in 1968. Even if it's not a B&C "collectible" gun it's still worth a good bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

CVN

In 10 gauge IIRC.

Clydes 10ga was a Winchester 1887.....And most of his Remington Model 11 where 12ga with Bonnie's whippet gun being 20ga.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:03:57 PM EDT
I would like to have one of those BAR's..................cool guns

If I remeber there should have been 4 BARs ....and two are in the Ranger display.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:05:26 PM EDT
If I were wealthy enough to actually buy them, I would do so then have them put in a Museum.

Yes, there werre criminals of the worst kind. That being said, they are a legend in American History and a era, so I would want to have it so all could see them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:07:01 PM EDT

Probably why it was left behind.
Barrow liked BARs and Bonnie liked sawed off shotguns
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:11:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nhsport:

Gee, I seem to remember a photo of Bonny holding a thompson,isn't that the one with her and the cigar?( nope that was a pistol)
I could easily be wrong or could remember some made up crap from a movie.

If B&C stole it from anybody (especially the Government) how can the PD be giveing it to a guy (even if he was a cop at the time)

Clyde stole every pieice of weaponry he had.......1911 and BARs came from NG armory raids. It got so bad that the Gov actually had the NG remove firing pins from BARs. While I'm sure Clyde would have loved a Thompson , He just couldn't get he's hands on one....which is why he cut down a lot of his 1918s.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:15:12 PM EDT

I believe one is in Waco at the Texas Rangers Museum.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:18:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Alacran:

I believe one is in Waco at the Texas Rangers Museum.

Yep....I thought there where two in Texas Rangers Museum. I can't remember if they where from Joplin or Dexter Park though.

Top Top