Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 4:51:29 PM EDT
I am looking for input about owning only one. A semi auto AR style .308 or a bolt gun in .308?
I do very little hunting mostly 200 to 300 yard range plinking, just wondering what people think.
J
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
if mostly for plinking get the AR
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread makes me sad.

I have a Rem 700 and wanted the 308 AR. Bought the lower, bought the damn PSA upper, a Geissele trigger, magazines, optic, larue mount, etc.... The upper/lower won't work together, now I'm selling the entire thing. Damn PSA.

My take on it is this. If it's just for range fun, the AR will be a blast. If you're thinking of using it for more? Then perhaps the bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I go back and forth on this constantly. But for me, I would do a 260 and make it a coyote gun. So I think a suppressed bolt gun would fit me better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
How much do you want to spend OP?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you already have a bolt gun or an AR in another caliber?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Neither. M1A is the correct answer.

Quoted:
How much do you want to spend OP?
View Quote

This is also important...

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a Rem 700 and wanted the 308 AR. Bought the lower, bought the damn PSA upper, a Geissele trigger, magazines, optic, larue mount, etc.... The upper/lower won't work together, now I'm selling the entire thing. Damn PSA.

My take on it is this. If it's just for range fun, the AR will be a blast. If you're thinking of using it for more? Then perhaps the bolt gun.
View Quote
Huh.  Did you send it back to them?  I had to send mine in.  The gun wouldn't function with the stock parts.  I sent them the gun and the Geissele, they worked on it, say it works now, and it is enroute to me.  I hope it isn't going to end up being some big POS.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Bolt
. Both
View Quote
FIFY

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on your budget?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Huh.  Did you send it back to them?  I had to send mine in.  The gun wouldn't function with the stock parts.  I sent them the gun and the Geissele, they worked on it, say it works now, and it is enroute to me.  I hope it isn't going to end up being some big POS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wouldn't work on mine. I was "reporting" what had happened with my experience in the 6 page thread in their area of the forums and they just IM'd me saying a call tag is incoming for a refund. I don't think they even wanted to bother helping.

So needless to say, I dropped it off today and hopefully they process the refund in a timely fashion.

I appreciate the fact that they want to bring more people into the 308 AR realm with lost cost options, but their claim of fitting DPMS style parts was bullshit. I've already received IM's from other members who are waiting for their uppers and own Aero lowers who will soon find themselves in the same position I was in. As I said, bullshit.

In the 308 Ar arena there are already SO many different parts that do and don't work together, it's like trying to build a puzzle from 2 boxes of mixed pieces. And they just made it worse. Can't even use some normal AR triggers on theirs.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor

Get a gasser in 308
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
AR10 in 260or 7mm RSAUM

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am looking for input about owning only one. A semi auto AR style .308 or a bolt gun in .308?
I do very little hunting mostly 200 to 300 yard range plinking, just wondering what people think.
J
View Quote

depends on how much you want to spend..... a good bolt is MUCH cheaper than a good ar-10.

myself personally, id much rather have my ruger sr762, than ANY bolt 308. my ruger is as accurate as most bolt rifles, but has the ability to shoot faster, and takes 5-25 round mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
J
View Quote

How much ammo can you afford to shoot? Answer that and you'll know which rifle to get.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I got into AR's back in '07 and have shot my bolt guns once since then just because I didn't have anything better to do that day.  I regularly shoot my RRA LAR-8 out to 500 yards at the range next to my house I also use it for hunting for myself and carry it with me when I am guiding hunters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top