Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2012 8:09:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:10:22 AM EDT

How dare anyone question the F.C.C.!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:11:32 AM EDT
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. I do not want to listen to 200 people have cell phone conversations for several hours where I cannot escape. When the day comes, I will have noise canceling headphones and a mean look.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:13:35 AM EDT
Quoted:
Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. I do not want to listen to 200 people have cell phone conversations for several hours where I cannot escape. When the day comes, I will have noise canceling headphones and a mean look.

This. Fuck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:13:55 AM EDT
Quoted:

I'd suck it up to fly Emirates!

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:14:22 AM EDT
Quoted:

I am already equipped with these as preventative measures against 1-10 hrs of meaningless conversation.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:14:28 AM EDT
Quoted:

I'm with you. I can see them allowing wi-fi etc for browsing but actual phone conversations will be a freakin' nightmare!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:14:35 AM EDT
Another reason to never ever stepping foot on an airplane again.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:17:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:22:22 AM EDT
Great, now flying can be even more like riding a Greyhound bus.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:23:10 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you. I can see them allowing wi-fi etc for browsing but actual phone conversations will be a freakin' nightmare!

There are already flights in the US with WiFi. I've flown a few legs with Southwest where they do it. The pricing is stupid though. It's X amount for an under two hour flight, and X*1.5 for more than that, and if your flight number changes, you have to pay again. Even if you don't get off the plane.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:24:21 AM EDT
There won't be that many people gabbing on the phone non stop, or texting. Also the plane noise should drown out some conversations, also ear buds are great at stopping noise. There will be a cheese shortage if you all keep up the whining though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:28:51 AM EDT
Quoted:
There won't be that many people gabbing on the phone non stop, or texting. Also the plane noise should drown out some conversations, also ear buds are great at stopping noise. There will be a cheese shortage if you all keep up the whining though.

You clearly do not pay attention to the behavior of other people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:34:05 AM EDT
I thought cell phones made planes fly into the ground, and other terrible things.  That's why they are prohibited here.  

You don't actually expect the FCC to relinquish power, any power, do you?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:35:23 AM EDT

Doesn't anyone else enjoy the relative peace of airplanes? It about the only thing they have going for them, now.

I predict talking and no-talking zones, just like the old no-smoking and smoking zones.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:36:46 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Fuck.
No shit. It's gonna be Neck Punch Time!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:37:12 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OqqQ8hBXk

Still a Scarebus.

It's Boeing or I ain't going!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:37:24 AM EDT
Fuck
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:38:36 AM EDT
Quoted:

Yep!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:40:00 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Fuck.

+2

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:40:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 8:56:35 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are already flights in the US with WiFi. I've flown a few legs with Southwest where they do it. The pricing is stupid though. It's X amount for an under two hour flight, and X*1.5 for more than that, and if your flight number changes, you have to pay again. Even if you don't get off the plane.

You aren't talking about southwest here... they are $5 per day per device, regardless of flight length, number of flights, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:07:25 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't talking about southwest here... they are $5 per day per device, regardless of flight length, number of flights, etc.

Perhaps it has changed. The last time I was on one that had WiFi, we had a stopover in Denver and it told me I'd have to pay again if I wanted to use it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:10:21 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am already equipped with these as preventative measures against 1-10 hrs of meaningless conversation.

I just go ahead and start up the mp3 player and read a book/magazine.

That's exactly what I do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:10:52 AM EDT
Quoted:
There won't be that many people gabbing on the phone non stop, or texting.

Riiiiggghhhhttttt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:16:08 AM EDT
In before the first droid takes down an Airbus because of a known software security exploit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:19:07 AM EDT
In before...Too Much Fucking Information!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:20:30 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
There won't be that many people gabbing on the phone non stop, or texting.

Riiiiggghhhhttttt.

They will be even louder when they get the bill from the airline.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:29:08 AM EDT
Quoted:

I was going to say this, but then I realized that I have my headphones in every second of the flight that I'm permitted to anyway.  Zero fucks given.

Quoted:
I thought cell phones made planes fly into the ground, and other terrible things.  That's why they are prohibited here.  

You don't actually expect the FCC to relinquish power, any power, do you?

Bureaucrats are always right, until they are unquestionably proven wrong, many times over.

Then they whine about putting then public at risk, and move on to the next fiat ruling and the cycle continues.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:37:23 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OqqQ8hBXk

Still a Scarebus.

It's Boeing or I ain't going!

Both held to the same FAA FSS. They both go through the same flight test procedures. Similar crash rates.
Both the B777 and A340 have zero hull loss events. The rest of their respective fleets are markedly similar.
Now.. let's talk about certain AIRLINES I would never fucking fly, and now you have a discussion.

Crashes per million flights
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:38:11 AM EDT
I'm on an airplane now. I paid $5 to have wifi so I can watch Netflix (Breaking Bad) and they have it blocked

ETA: the internet sucks too
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:43:59 AM EDT
My cell phone can never get a signal in a plane anyway.  I've had several phones over the years and none of them worked on airliners.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:52:59 AM EDT
I really dig the WiFi, I get bored off my ass on an airplane.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 9:53:02 AM EDT
Quoted:
Doesn't anyone else enjoy the relative peace of airplanes? It about the only thing they have going for them, now.

Seriously? Last flight I was on (few weeks ago) there was some 20ish couple with a baby that started screaming as soon as we got in the air.
The dad's response: Ignore the baby, get out his phone and start playing some annoying video game at full volume. No headphones, just BLEEP BLOOP BLEEP for the enjoyment of the rest of the passengers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:42:25 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pfft. It's free in first class
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:45:02 AM EDT
What a sad day It's kind of nice for everyone to get off the phone for a few hours.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:45:03 AM EDT

Quoted:

I'm on an airplane now. I paid $5 to have wifi so I can watch Netflix (Breaking Bad) and they have it blocked

It's probably for bandwidth reasons. Watching a movie on Netflix requires a shit ton of it, and it's in short supply while flying at 30,000'.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:49:08 AM EDT
Ambien and ear plugs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:53:14 AM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's probably for bandwidth reasons. Watching a movie on Netflix requires a shit ton of it, and it's in short supply while flying at 30,000'.  

Does the band get thinner the higher you go?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:57:20 AM EDT
Not really interested in talking on the phone.

Internet access would be cool though.

Really I just want them to stop with the "no electronic devices below 10k feet" rule.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 10:59:39 AM EDT
Quoted:

Really I just want them to stop with the "no electronic devices below 10k feet" rule.

won't happen. there is basically one rule for all airlines, and there have been occurances of interference. I've experienced the blackberry data noise on my headsets, to the point I couldn't hear radio calls.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:04:33 AM EDT
Quoted:

Interesting fact about MS

It is the only state in the US that does not have the infrastructure to handle a 747.   Granted most people in MS have no clue what an airplane is let alone a 747.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:11:45 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

won't happen. there is basically one rule for all airlines, and there have been occurances of interference. I've experienced the blackberry data noise on my headsets, to the point I couldn't hear radio calls.

How many folks do you think pack their ipads or laptops (in standby mode - which is on) in their luggage?

Or keep their ipad in their bag in the luggage bin - only to realize they neglected to (completely) turn it off only after the plane is taxiing.

Or simply don't turn it off?

I get not allowing phone calls and/or requiring the use of "airplane mode" while under 10k feet.  It's the "turn electronic devices COMPLETELY off" that I am referring to.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:13:48 AM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that $5 unlimited data per device?

ETA: Saw once poster said streaming was blocked.
Doubt I'd use it then.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:18:56 AM EDT
If I can browse arfcom while flying I'd be happy as shit
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:24:04 AM EDT
Onboard Wifi + laptop + USB headset + IP communicator(or other VOIP app) = already making phone calls on US flights.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:33:21 AM EDT

Quoted:

Onboard Wifi + laptop + USB headset + IP communicator(or other VOIP app) = already making phone calls on US flights.

I've never been on a plane with Internet access. Will they let you bring a VPN tunnel up?

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:36:26 AM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never been on a plane with Internet access. Will they let you bring a VPN tunnel up?  

Delta has it.  But I don't fly delta often and when I do it's a very short flight.  So I haven't ever bothered to pay the fee.

I would think jitter would be off the charts.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:38:09 AM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's been a few years since I flew but I was able to VPN to the company network and connect to the corporate phone system.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:39:51 AM EDT
I'll have to get me one of those cell phones that work on airplanes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 11:47:07 AM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:

On Southwest at least, yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top