Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 10:17:00 AM EDT
I'm currently in the market for 1. some good body armor and 2. a good gas mask.   I figure I have enough guns for now, so it's time I focus on other aspects of preparedness.

I know very little about either, so this is why I'm posting here.  Can anyone here recommend me some good quality body armor and/or gas masks at a hopefully affordable price?  If not, what should I look for at least?

Thanks.

ETA - I meant to ask, is it possible to get a vest that's adjustable so that it could fit people of different sizes?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
nbc stuff

as for body armor there's dragonskin and the otv/sapi stuff currently being used.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Interceptor vest via EBay. It isnt one of the stolen military ones. I have owned and used a dozen or so various make nd model vests over the years and this one is by far the most comfortable. You can either throw a rig over it or slap MOLLE pouches on it. Great vest. Great protection and Okay price compared to alot of others.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/sge150.htm

This one seems to be reasonably priced.  Is it a decent all-around mask?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

it's ok. no drinking capability or voicemitter but it's nbc rated and i'm assuming you're looking for something to put on and gtfod with, not attending a cocktail party...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's ok. no drinking capability or voicemitter but it's nbc rated and i'm assuming you're looking for something to put on and gtfod with, not attending a cocktail party...

LOL  Yep.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]
hey, as you look for a mask you might want to make sure they have 40mm nato threads. some masks are proprietary and you have to buy their filters. with 40mm threads you can use any nato country filter (civ or mil) as well as russian and ww2 german! also make sure the filter is nbc rated and not just for riot gasses and lesser stuff. also check the dates on the filter cans.

hit your local surplus store or fun show and look for one of the older military gas mask hoods (one big hole). they're dirt cheap and add additional protection.

ETA: what are you looking for in body armor?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hey, as you look for a mask you might want to make sure they have 40mm nato threads. some masks are proprietary and you have to buy their filters. with 40mm threads you can use any nato country filter (civ or mil) as well as russian and ww2 german! also make sure the filter is nbc rated and not just for riot gasses and lesser stuff. also check the dates on the filter cans.

hit your local surplus store or fun show and look for one of the older military gas mask hoods (one big hole). they're dirt cheap and add additional protection.

ETA: what are you looking for in body armor?

The mask I was thinking about does take the 40mm filters so I should be set.  As far as armor, I'm looking for something reasonably effective (I'm told III-A is preferable) and hopefully adjustable, that way it will fit people of different sizes if needbe.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm currently in the market for 1. some good body armor and 2. a good gas mask.   I figure I have enough guns for now, so it's time I focus on other aspects of preparedness.

Do you have several months of food?  Water?

First Aid kit - knowledge to use same?

3months worth of cash on hand?

If not, then I think you have some other (more important) issues to take care of first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have several months of food?  Water?

First Aid kit - knowledge to use same?

3months worth of cash on hand?

If not, then I think you have some other (more important) issues to take care of first.

Already got all that, though I don't have as much money as I'd like.  But then again, who does?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
the cheapest avenue for body armor might be your standard pasgt vest. it comes in sizes and is relatively adjustable in those size ranges plus they're kinda cheap now that the .mil has gone over whole hog to the interceptor system. the pasgt kevlar vest will definitely stop everything up to .45 acp. not sure about big magnum rounds.

actually, now the .mil is looking around for the next generation of body armor so you may be seeing the interceptor stuff hitting the market in the next couple of years. that's good up to lvl 3 and 4 (ap high power rifle/mg rounds like the 7.62 nato and 7.62x54r).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#13]
check out this site for good info on body armor info! great selection of stuff as well!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top