Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 1:34:51 AM EDT
With multiple uniforms and colors of IBAS, try to get it where it matches your uniform whether ACU or DCU.  Some insurgents target the lighter armored parts of the IBA and are quite good at it.  The color contrast helps them.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Added to the lessons learned area.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip.  I will need it and my soldiers will need ti this year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Onion, Im guessing its just a typo, but your profile says your in 'IRN'. You in Iran? (IRQ is Iraq)
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#4]
good luck getting armor that matches the uniform you were issued. there are very few soldier here that have all matching gear. all of the newer soldiers coming in have ACU's w/ desert or green camo IBA. Me myself, im wearing ACU's desert IBA w/ a mix of OD green, tan and ACU pouches.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With multiple uniforms and colors of IBAS

I'm guessing that you have to stay with IBA?  If so, I see a lot of what appears to be IBA in ACU pattern lately.  Obviously, this is only helpful to you if you wear ACU's all the time.  I use privately purchased stuff (i.e., plate hanger w/ rack, Pinnacle SOV and MAR-CIRAS), and none of my stuff is the same color, nor does it match uniform colors.  One guy I work with bought the plate hanger and rack in ACU and it's pretty sharp on top of ACU's.  Like I said, if you can't buy your own for whatever reason you will have to look/hope for an issue of IBA in the right color, as I know of no real color changing solution for IBA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Eventually the Army will start issuing the replacement covers for the already issued IBA's, but that isn't going to help anybody anytime soon.  The only idea I can think of is if you are comfortable with the issue FLC and it's the right color.  It will cover at least some of the IBA, and might help.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
useless thread
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
For us we didn't have an option to choose.  You're stuck with whatever CIF or RFI issues you.  That was over a year ago though, the Army might have changed this.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
good luck getting armor that matches the uniform you were issued. there are very few soldier here that have all matching gear. all of the newer soldiers coming in have ACU's w/ desert or green camo IBA. Me myself, im wearing ACU's desert IBA w/ a mix of OD green, tan and ACU pouches.

Thats about what I look like.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Eventually the Army will start issuing the replacement covers for the already issued IBA's, but that isn't going to help anybody anytime soon.  The only idea I can think of is if you are comfortable with the issue FLC and it's the right color.  It will cover at least some of the IBA, and might help.

Getting ready to deploy a second time myself. We got the ACU IBA kit with our RFI. The molle vest we got was Tan and the pouchs were 3 color desert. 1st BDE 1st Armor Div.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My unit has a mix of DCU and woodland  pattern IBAs on top of woodland BDUs with ACU FLC and pouches.
Supposedly we are supposed to get ACUs this month, but the story on the joe hotline is that our SGM doesn't want the ACUs cause "his soldiers wont look squared away with pressed uniforms" anymore.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My unit has a mix of DCU and woodland  pattern IBAs on top of woodland BDUs with ACU FLC and pouches.
Supposedly we are supposed to get ACUs this month, but the story on the joe hotline is that our SGM doesn't want the ACUs cause "his soldiers wont look squared away with pressed uniforms" anymore.

Does the SGM really think he can stop the ACU issue?  That's just silly.  People in leadership positions forget its not all about them sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Spray paint and clothing dye is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#14]

My unit has a mix of DCU and woodland pattern IBAs on top of woodland BDUs with ACU FLC and pouches.

The ACU is the official uniform as of October 2005. 2006-2008 is the transition period where a mix of camo is authorized, ie. Acu uniform but a Desert/Woodland Gortex jacket, etc.

What is the SGM going to do when new soldiers arrive from basic training with nothing but ACU's? The most he can do is require one uniform over another for a parade formation. And only if every soldier has the uniform he directs. Classic example of "institutionalized" thinking by a Sergeant Major. Guy spent 25-30 years spending 2 hours a day shining his boots and thinks that is what's mean't by "self sacrifice". That SGM has to buy a set NLT October 2006 anyway.

Nothing like going kicking and screaming into the future.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I wear ACUs with ACU cover for IBAS and all ACU pouches.
The lesson learned (about matching) is also taught at unit leader training prior to deployment, at least it was it to me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I have heard individuals express concern that insurgents were targeting the lighter armored areas of the body armor using the ACU/desert camo contrast.  Personal opinion is that is highly unlikely.  Instead of an insurgent targeting the area under the armpit (if he was even able to shoot that accurately), he would be better off taking that well aimed shot at the area above the neck.  To me it sounds as though units are trying to push this up the chain to try and get armor carriers that match the uniforms simply because they want all their gear to match.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top