Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2006 2:21:00 PM EDT
Well Im in an Explorer program as some of you know and I won't be starting ride-alongs for a while but I was wondering should I invest in one? I have no other form of protection other than the shotgun but that is felony stops ONLY. I was just wnting your input.

Thanks guys.
And stay safe.

Carter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Well Im in an Explorer program as some of you know and I won't be starting ride-alongs for a while but I was wondering should I invest in one? I have no other form of protection other than the shotgun but that is felony stops ONLY. I was just wnting your input.

Thanks guys.
And stay safe.

Carter.

Generally in a ride along you are STRICTLY an observer.  You shouldn't be touching that shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
No kidding.......the time the explorer grabs a gun is when shots are being fired and he needs to protect himself or the other officer.

Felony car stops??? Dude, that would be way to often around here. With minimal training the explorers get, that would be a HUGE liability.

As for body armor...you will wear it rarely, so don't spend a lot. You aren't full time and you are probably still growing, so don't go dumping a bunch of money paying for flexibility and comfort.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Whoops, I didnt clarify myself. Yes the gun is for backup purposes only and that is only needed on felony stops. There has been a few incidents here where an Explorer has had to deploy the shotgun, but it was a long time ago.

And RDP, I live in a pretty rural area with few felony stops.

Sorry for the mishap, and NO I do not tote the thing or anything of the sort.

But what is a sad thing is that a lot of officers want us as ride alongs and not the full timed officers.... SCSO is a very fine Office but under trained in many different ways...
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The vest is a good idea.  As stated above, though, don't go crazy in purchasing it - if you're an explorer you will have some more growing to do - maybe up, but definitely out That said, purchase a new vest that is fit to you.  IF you ever find yourself in a tough situation, froggy BGs normally don't care who's wearing a uniform, so the vest would be smart.

Don't touch the shotgun unless your officer/deputy requests you to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I know around here usually on felony stops the explorer/cadet stays in the rig or finds better cover until the felony stop is complete (all depends on the exact situation). Shotgun/rifle is a LAST resort when things have gone entirely south and the explorer is deploying the weapon to protect their life because that is exactly what it is going to take. As in, don't touch it unless the officer tells you to or you HAVE to otherwise you are going to die. Explorers are usually better to let dispatch know what is going on and get more cops on the way.

When I was a Cadet (explorer), I purchased a vest from one of our local officers when he switched his vest out after 5 years. Yeah, it will be a bit bulky but it will make your custom vest seem super nice when you finally get one if you go the LEO route. Used vests are probably fine for you. Our SWAT officers have done tests with 10-15 year old vests and they perform just fine.

IMO whenever you are in uniform (I call it the "target shirt") your armor goes under it. Every time, no exceptions. Get in the habit now. Just like if you have a belt you carry stuff on put your gear in the spot that you will probably want it if you go reserve or full time. Mostly keep that gun spot open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top