Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/29/2004 8:46:38 AM EST
I can't be the only one with the boat from hell, so tell me your bad boat story.
Hears mine:
3 years ago the wife says lets get a boat, small arguement ensues, she says "you buy guns I want a boat, at least we can use it together". Well guess what, I bought a boat. It has been out six times,
and four of those six it broke. Some things were minor, dead battery, stuck thermostat, and some things major, lower drive unit, water pump, and last but not least, the axle broke about a mile away from the lake last night. Six partial days on the water and at least two week of mechanicing on my part,(including about a solid week of my vacation) but hey, "we can use it together".

Anyone wanna buy a boat?
Mark
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:50:06 AM EST
Did you buy it used? Always be careful buying a used boat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:50:23 AM EST
I bought my boat back in May and have been fixing it ever since. It looks like I might be lucky enough to get it up and running just in time to put it away for the year!

But I bought it as a hobby/project boat and I've learned a lot from it. I just haven't gotten to enjoy it on the water the way I wish I could.

Make sure you winterize your boat or you'll have a ton of problems next year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:51:19 AM EST
Things you should know.

If you do not plan on using it at least once a month. DO NOT buy a boat. They need to be used to stay in working order.

Try using you car six times in a three year period and see how many things need to be replaced.

But, sorry you haven't been able to enjoy your boat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:59:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 9:03:24 AM EST by AUT_BELLUM]
I bought new, 2001 Edgewater 225Express with 2002 Yamaha F225 fourstroke, no real major problems other than a bad saltwater washdown pump, and a few gel coat bubbles that had to be fixed, but it's not an inexpensive model by any means. These boats are used by various agencies for homeland defense, here is my boat doing police work.

I will be using if all the way thru the winter this year, I have it rack stored at a marina, Stripers should arrive in December.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:07:36 AM EST
2 happiest days in a boat owners life-- the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:13:21 AM EST
Diss_ipater,

"If you do not plan on using it at least once a month. DO NOT buy a boat. They need to be used to stay in working order.

Try using you car six times in a three year period and see how many things need to be replaced."

Your right but, most everything broke the first summer, I just got sick of working on it and couldn't see spending 2k more to fix the lower unit on a $7500.00 boat.

lloydrover.
"2 happiest days in a boat owners life-- the day he buys it, and the day he sells it."
Isn't that the truth
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:23:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 10:28:04 AM EST by kpel308]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:44:41 AM EST
hey guys
1 If you are going to buy a boat have it checked out before you purchase it
2 Boats / the problem that some of you maybe having is that everyone wants to be a boat tech atleast here where i live i sea these guys buy a truck put some stickers on the side whhoooooo now there in business. They have no formal traning and dont no sh#t about what they are doing and at 85 dollars an hour labor thats a bad thing.
I think the appeal is wow i can ride around in a boat all day. Thats not how it is . its hard to make it in the marine industry /just the insurance alone will kill you. Just think about this you take your 25000 car to get serviced wow the average price boat i work on costs 3 times that.

well sorry for the rant I had a good year this year.

ask next time about the techs working on /or that have worked on your boat
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:33:56 AM EST
I do all my own maintenence, I wouldn't own a boat if I had to pay the ass raping prices most outfits charge. Oil changes, impeller changes, fuel and oil filters, detailing, winterization, electronics installation all done by me, no corners cut, with an open checkbook. I'd be saving a whole lot of money if I didn't have a boat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:53:29 PM EST
i learned the hard way... my definition of a boat is" a hole in the water that you throw money in to!"..i forgot where i first heard it.
Top Top