Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 10:52:32 PM EDT
Next year i want to get a poerboat or some kind over 20 ft . Mt friend has a Donzi ZX-33 Daytona. But I do not have that kind of money. What would be a good entry-level performave boat w / cuddy cabin or cruiser for Lake Eries 4- 6ft waves.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Bayliner and fourwinns are good brands to start looking at.  Last year i was looking for a bayliner capri cuddy it was 20 ft with a 4.6l engine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Bayliner-there's a reason that they're cheap.Cheap when new,and way cheaper used.It would have to be free!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Plenty of info to keep you busy www.yachtsurvey.com/

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Just remember, if it floats, flies, or fvcks, its cheaper to rent than buy.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a dealer, I sell Crownline and Hurricane fiberglass and Polar Kraft aluminum boats.

www.wylandsmarine.com

I have lots of advice but I don't want to bash anyone here so IM me for questions.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a dealer, I sell Crownline and Hurricane fiberglass and Polar Kraft aluminum boats.

www.wylandsmarine.com

I have lots of advice but I don't want to bash anyone here so IM me for questions.

almost half the responses here have been jokes.

Go ahead and post your advice, this is arfcom, we're supposed to have a semi-thick skin here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 79 fisher marine 18 foot flat bottom with a 03 50hp johnson on it.  Tops out around 30 with light load and 26-27 with 4 people, 10 gal of gas and all gear and 2 full coolers.  We crappie fish in the summe and catfish from Aug-Sept.  I just got back from a sat/sun trip and pulled in 24 1-6lb channel cats.  

My friend has an old runabout,  16 foot with an 85 johnson.  Runs great and plenty to tow a tube or skiier.  It'll do everything a newer boat will, just looks old.  

I'd like to get a nice runabout some day but unless you use them every weekend or have a lake home with a dock they're a bitch to maintain, load/unload and all you end up doing is burning gas running around the lake.  At least in mine I can catch some fish.  Still anchor down and swim too.  Since we can't ski or tube in my boat we usually take turns jumping out of it at 30mph.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.wylandsmarine.com

almost half the responses here have been jokes.

Go ahead and post your advice, this is arfcom, we're supposed to have a semi-thick skin here.

Okay,

Bayliner & Maxum=POS. One is blue one is maroon. Same POS quality.

We made the mistake of selling maxums in the 80's, you had to rotate the boats outside every week because the gel would fade.  

You don't put a V-6 in a 20' boat it's just wrong. Your motor should be within at least 75% of your max horsepower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
But what good boat would you recommend for me. I am leaning towards Searay's 24 ft +weekender or older Baja boats
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
But what good boat would you recommend for me. I am leaning towards Searay's 24 ft +weekender or older Baja boats

I've owned three SeaRay's, a 24' weekender, a 270DA Sundancer and a 330DA Sundancer, and I've never had a problem with any of them....All three were great boats...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Just bought my first boat last week!

That's not me, BTW.

14' Stur-Dee Amesbury Dory Skiff w/ 8 horse Nissan and a 4 horse Merc, plus other accesories - $1200. I definitely made out. My boss gave me a 9.8 horse Mercury to replace the Nissan, but I'm going to keep the Nissan as a spare and sell the little Merc. The 8 will push me and 2 people plus gear around on a lake no problem, but I won't be taking it offshore anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Sea Ray makes great boats as long as it's over 18', their little ones are kinda crappy.

Wellcraft and Baja both make a very solid boat.  

When buying a used sterndrive you need to check the bellows (rubber boots) between the drive and the boat for cracks.

I know this sounds biased but you are better off buying a used boat from a known "good guy" dealer.

I have seen so many people that come in for service with their "new to them", "hell of a deal" boats. Only to find out it needs a grand or two worth of work.

Outboards aren't much better 1 in 10 that come in for service are shot. New motor time.

If it's over 15 years old you can pretty much bet on the rings being stuck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top