Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:49:52 PM EDT
I recently purchased a light boat ~500 pounds, on an old trailer with 1.98 hubs. As a part of the purchase, the seller repacked the bearings and used decent grease (I saw the can, but all I can remember is that it was from a decent mfgr). The bearings only had dust caps, so I purchased some bearing buddy knock offs from Reese. The bearing buddy knock offs will add space that will need to be filled with grease. However, most grease manufactures state not to mix grease.

What I'm wondering is if this is a marketing/liability thing, or could the different greases actually interact and turn to soup? Keep in mind that I would only be adding a teaspoon or so to each hub and will be using decent grease. With the weight of the boat, the bearings are about as unstressed as they would be with no boat at all.

I'd hate to have to repack the bearings with only a few hundred miles since the repack.

Note: Seller is a dealer and has various type on hand and can't remember exactly what was used.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:26:16 AM EDT
I'd just use boat trailer wheel bearing grease that is a different color, and just keep purging until the new color grease comes out. Watch those bearing buddies, they always fall off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:39:58 AM EDT
You will get better performance by not mixing grease.

Use "waterproof" bearing grease, and grease the bearing buddies often.

When I did a bunch of boating and wet launches, I greased the BBs every outing never had a BB fall off, and never had bearing/hub problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:59:17 AM EDT
Man, your putting new BB on the trailer go all the way. Pull the wheels and replace the bearings you will be good to go for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:03:24 AM EDT
Another 1+ for the bearing buddies. Don't forget to check the bearing at least in the spring before boating season though.

Most everyone I know with a boat trailer has had bearing problems at some time.

I replace them every spring and keep the old ones in the tool box just in case.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
Mixing grease really isn't an issue if you use a quality waterproof bearing grease, don't worry about it.

If the bearings are a year old we replace them, basically we do it at the end of the season here in NY.

Top Top