Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 6:24:13 PM EDT
I've been wondering something for a while…

I make and use my own hot caustic bluing salts out of caustic soda, sodium nitrate, and sodium nitirite.
All that gets mixed up with water (gets REALLY hot when the water's added) and then heated further.

What I'm wondering is that the salts seems to heat evenly up till about 250° F, and then it "sticks." The temperature will hold there for a few minutes and then rise rapidly to bluing temperature (298° F), at which point the salts boil.

Any idea on what reaction is going on that makes the temp stick and then rise so fast?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm.  Like buffering, only with heat.

Some chemists can chime in but I'm pretty sure it's due to the micronauts who live on those tiny molecule worlds turning on their A/Cs because its getting so damn hot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems to me I remember this is a common occurrence when heating just about anything up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just use the Brownells bluing mix.

I have a hard time with boil off and keeping temp level.

I've been thinking of going to an electric heating element for consistency.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a propane camp stove.

You have to tend it, and keep adding water. Otherwise, you can end up with a 500° pot of molten salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top