Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2008 8:52:26 AM EDT
Does blu-ray have that slight pause when it switches between layers like DVD does?  Call me crazy but if it doesn't that will be the biggest motivator for me to make the switch.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You must have good eyes, I have yet to see a switch on any dual layer DVD...  

Maybe my old eyes are shot...

I don't know how you couldn't notice. The entire movie stops. The first few times I already had half a swear word out and my hand going for the remote before it started up again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I always see the layer switch on a DVD.

But the reason for Blu-Ray is not for a faster layer switch.  It's for a high definition picture that's entirely in another league compared to DVD.

So far, in my limited collection of Blu-Ray movies, I've never yet seen a layer switch occur. But I don't know how long the movie has to run to get to a layer switch anyway.  Maybe my movies are all too short to get there.    

I think my longest movie on Blu-Ray is 300.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never noticed the pause either. I think my brain must just ignore it.
Of course I grew up watching laser discs and got used to first having to get up and flip the disc over and later the loud rumble as the machine did it automatically.

A single layer Blu Ray can hold what, 25GB? Are their any discs holding close to that much information?

edit: Hey anybody have "Click" on Blu Ray? It is supposed to be a dual layer disc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But the reason for Blu-Ray is not for a faster layer switch.  It's for a high definition picture that's entirely in another league compared to DVD.

So far, in my limited collection of Blu-Ray movies, I've never yet seen a layer switch occur. But I don't know how long the movie has to run to get to a layer switch anyway.  Maybe my movies are all too short to get there.    

CJ

I know the layer switch pause isn't the reason for its existence, but the majority of my collection isn't going to be worth buying again on blu-ray anyway.  If a blu-ray doesn't have that pause then it's just another reason to switch along with the step up in quality.  It also figures into which titles I might buy again on blu-ray, some of the titles in my collection have a really annoying pause when they switch.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The longest Blu-ray I have is Kingdom of Heaven (194 min) and I never noticed the dual layer switch, I've watched it twice.

The description on the box says the video is 50GB dual layer.

Maybe they timed it between scenes?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

I know the layer switch pause isn't the reason for its existence, but the majority of my collection isn't going to be worth buying again on blu-ray anyway.  If a blu-ray doesn't have that pause then it's just another reason to switch along with the step up in quality.  It also figures into which titles I might buy again on blu-ray, some of the titles in my collection have a really annoying pause when they switch.  

Yeah, I know, I know...

I've got some LASERDISCS in my collection that I didn't bother to get on DVD.  Somehow, I doubt that I'll be trying to find those movies on Blu-Ray if I didn't bother to find them on DVD.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top