Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2005 5:45:58 AM EDT
Not sure how I feel about it yet but currently I'm thinking this may be the one thing Iran does well.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209473/

The Associated Press
Updated: 2:26 p.m. ET March 16, 2005

Serial rapist and killer
lashed, hanged in Iran
23-year-old convicted of slaying 16 boys
executed in town where crimes occurred
Two Iranian police officers watch as Mohammed Bijeh, convicted of raping and murdering 16 children, is hanged Wednesday in Pakdasht, Iran.

PAKDASHT, Iran - A young man convicted of raping and murdering 16 boys was lashed 100 times, and then hanged Wednesday in front of a large, angry crowd who pelted him with stones and scuffled with police.

Mohammed Bijeh, 23, confessed in court to raping and murdering the children, between March and September 2004. Iranian media have said Bijeh burned the bodies of his victims, all boys between 8 and 15.

Bijeh was sentenced to one death sentence for each murder he confessed and 100 lashes of the whip for the rapes.

An accomplice, Ali Gholampour, was acquitted of involvement in the murders but was convicted of taking part in some of the kidnappings, to which he confessed. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison and 100 lashes.

Execution in town where murders occurred
Bijeh’s verdict was carried out in Pakdasht, a small, impoverished town about 19 miles southeast of Tehran, after being upheld by the Supreme Court. It was the same town where the murders took place.

Approximately 5,000 spectators — including women and children — gathered to watch the flogging and hanging. Riot police circled the area.

Some in the crowd threw stones at Bijeh as he was flogged, shirtless and hands tied to an iron pole. He fell to his knees three times as he received the lashes.

A relative of one of the victims broke police security and attacked Bijeh with a knife, wounding his back before police dragged him away.

After the flogging, a rope was put around Bijeh’s neck and attached to a hook on a crane. The crane’s arm jerked upward and Bijeh’s body dangled, drawing applause from the crowd.

Some people burst into tears, crying out the names of their injured children. Some shouted, “Shame on you, Bijeh!”

After about 20 minutes, the body was lowered and a doctor confirmed Bijeh was dead.

Scuffles after sentence carried out
Many in the crowd, some of them other family members of the victims, repeatedly tried to approach Bijeh’s body but were prevented by riot police. Scuffles continued for at least half an hour.

The case provoked national outrage in Iran. Sixteen police officers were reprimanded for dereliction of duty and the Interior Ministry criticized the police for failing to catch the suspects after the first crime.

Many of the people in Pakdasht supported the hanging.

“Public executions reduce the occurrence of offenses. Bijeh destroyed many families. He deserved more than death,” said resident Zahra Khaleghi.

But Dariush Mehraban said public hangings only promote violence.

“Many criminals have been hanged, but offenses have never reduced. It’s an ugly scene that a human being is hanged even if he has committed many crimes. Revenge is not the solution,” said Merhraban, who watched the hanging.

Convicts are hanged in public in Iran only if a court deems that their offenses deeply affected public sentiment.

Iranian courts are controlled by hard-liners. Iranian reformists say public executions hurt the country’s international image and reflect badly on Islam.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The US should have a couple of those televised live on FOXnews and CNN a year

suit on
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Justice or Bloodlust? A little of both. As a confessed muderer, he deserved to die. Regardless of the method used, at the end of the day he's dead, which is all that matters. The public's lust for a gruesome execution is a bit disturbing. Why not a 7.62 (it's Iran, after all) to the back of the head, somewhere out back of the courthouse?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The broken clock that is Iran, and by extension Islam, was correct in this case.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a not so well person (long way of saying "I'm a sick person"), me personally I say justice was served.  Anyone who rapes, kills and does anything near what he did, that would be just getting off easy.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say a little bit of both.

Not too different from "Prison Justice" in America
where convicts will kill and sodomize child molesters and rapists.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Justice or Bloodlust? A little of both. As a confessed muderer, he deserved to die. Regardless of the method used, at the end of the day he's dead, which is all that matters. The public's lust for a gruesome execution is a bit disturbing. Why not a 7.62 (it's Iran, after all) to the back of the head, somewhere out back of the courthouse?

What's interesting is that in American, it costs over 2 million dollars to execute somebody in our judicial system.  In Iran, all you need is a crane.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The broken clock that is Iran, and by extension Islam, was correct in this case.

That made me laugh in agreement at first - but then I realized I know nothing of the criminal justice process in their country - who can really say that this guy is what they claim he is and not something else, like a Jew or an underground newspaper publisher.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]

convicted of raping and murdering 16 children

Yeah, he got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That made me laugh in agreement at first - but then I realized I know nothing of the criminal justice process in their country - who can really say that this guy is what they claim he is and not something else, like a Jew or an underground newspaper publisher.

That's a very good point Dolomite.  There's something to say about true 'justice' being served.  That's why I'm not 100% in agreement with this execution...or those like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:06:18 AM EDT
[#11]
In a perfect world - that's how child rapists would end up - but in  a perfect world... there'd be no need for an Iranian-style Judicial system.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#12]
In a perfect world...there'd be no Ir.....nevermind
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
As I see it, there is only one real question here, whether or not this man was actually guilty. In Iran, who knows.

That being said, scumbags live in places like Iran too, and the Iranian government does find and eliminate people like this. Justice can be found even in places like Iran.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Who says they don't embrace Western technology?  If hangings happened here we'd still be using the trapdoor.  
A damn crane?!  That is awesome!!

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
If the guy was guilty it looks like a good hanging to me.  I also agree that there's a few shit bags that use the same treatment here.  

Personally I think this would be a great thing to do when we capture Osama.  Hang his ass off the new World Trade building on the 4th of July!  Yeah, that's the ticket!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, they'd like to hang these guys from trees, but, ya know - it's Iran.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

broken clocks are right twice per day........
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

broken clocks are right twice per day........

lol...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#19]
If he did what he was accused of, good riddance. Yes it's bloodlust, but if one of his victims were my child I'd love to see it too. Hell, the authorities wouldn't have had to do it, he wouldn't have lasted that long.

When you are dealing with Iran, you never know. This guy could have stolen a bag of oranges or something.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, we ought to start doing that shit here. Now THAT might actually be a deterrent to violent crime!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#22]
"I will kill you until you die from it!"
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have no problem with it.

Of course, I would also have been comfortable with crucifying him on a telephone pole in the town square with a CHILD RAPIST and MURDERER sign around his neck and leaving him for the crows to pick clean.

It could be that I'm out of the mainstream in my views, but I'm comfortable with that, too.

+1. If it is known the person (male or female) is guilty of such a heinous crime let 'em have it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#24]
He looks guilty to me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:"I will kill you until you die from it!"

As barbaric as it is, I think its needed in this country.  People need to know what their actions can lead to and they need to be held accountable.  Tucking them away with cable TV, law libraries and wood shop isn't working.  It's just plain wrong that a dentist can squirt semen in his patient's mouths and get 120 days yet a husband of one of those patients will get 2years for kicking his ass for it.  All this social mumbo jumbo has turned us into a bunch of pacsifist.  I have compassion for EVERYone but tolerance for few.

Patty
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:"I will kill you until you die from it!"

As barbaric as it is, I think its needed in this country.  People need to know what their actions can lead to and they need to be held accountable.  Tucking them away with cable TV, law libraries and wood shop isn't working.  It's just plain wrong that a dentist can squirt semen in his patient's mouths and get 120 days yet a husband of one of those patients will get 2years for kicking his ass for it.  All this social mumbo jumbo has turned us into a bunch of pacsifist.  I have compassion for EVERYone but tolerance for few.

Patty

whoah....guess I missed the headlines on that dentist....geesh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Can't answer the question...but I sure think that if we started doing the same thing here, our perv crime rate would drop quickly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#28]
They did it all wrong.  The proper was is to tie his feet to the crane outrigger,  THEN yank him into the air.  Damn extremist's can't get anything right.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#29]
If he was really guilty, I don't see the problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#30]

I like it, but he needed 1000+ lashes before he  was killed.

He should also have had his balls ripped off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top