Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2013 10:44:09 AM EDT
From the  Blaze....apparently the blimp over DC is to detect Cruise missiles.
A blimp might not be the most stealthy of warfare equipment, but it is what’s coming to the nation’s capital to act as a defense watchdog.

The Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System (JLENS) developed by Raytheon will provide extensive, long-term surveillance in a trial where it will watch over the Washington, D.C. area.
View Quote

From Wired magazine, circa 2011

Come this fall, there will be a new and extremely powerful supercomputer in Afghanistan. But it won’t be in Dave Petraeus’ headquarters in Kabul or at some three-letter agency’s operations center in Kandahar. It’ll be floating 20,000 feet above the warzone, aboard a giant spy blimp that watches and listens to everything for miles around.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#1]
If the back end gets over-inflated, will they change it to J-LO?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
In before: "Oh the humanity!"

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
It may be Chris Christie flying in from NJ to hang with the savior...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a pregnant ABCCC.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Had one of these flying over my house a few days b4 I was scheduled to go to an event where former pres bush was in attendance. Figured it had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh the Huge Manatee!!!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Come on guys...........WHAT ROUND FOR A BLIMP!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Helium or Hydrogen

core concept makes a difference...

Tracers either way...

want to hear about the time I learned the Flammable and Inflammable meant the same thing..
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Good place for it.  Enough hot-air in the area to keep it afloat no matter how many bullet holes it gets.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Helium or Hydrogen

Tracers either way...

want to hear about the time I learned the Flammable and Inflammable meant the same thing..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helium or Hydrogen

Tracers either way...

Why yes, yes I would like to here this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

shoulda been first post gd is slipping
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm....here I was trying to stir the pot and nobody took the bait. Damn...

Do you guys realize the capabilities that these platforms can potentially host??......and guys were getting spun up over the NSA and email/cell phone intercept???  

These were affectionally known as the "Unblinking eye" in OIF and OEF.  Of course the intent of this blimp in DC is to guard against cruise missiles..

Oh yea....these are helium and virtually at atmosphere in terms of internal pressure. They would reel them down in Kabul and there would be dozens of holes in them....had virtually no effect whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
To close for missiles...switching to guns!
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
''JLENS has four main components: aerostats, radars, mooring stations, and a processing station. The aerostats are the unmanned blimps. Each stretches 242 feet long and nearly as wide, and is tethered to mooring stations. The two aerostats work as a pair (called an orbit) and fly at an altitude of 10,000 feet. One aerostat carries a surveillance radar that offers over-the-horizon, 24-hour, 360-degree surveillance up to 340 miles in any direction. The second blimp houses a fire-control radar, which signals interceptors to an incoming threat and works with Patriot missiles and Standard Missile-6.''
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/planes-uavs/jlens-the-military-surveillance-airship-is-ready-for-action-15727775?click=pm_latest
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I laughed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
That's only going to tell us about how it got in. Not how we stopped it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
ceiling blimp is watching you masterbate
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
That blimp needs to go on a diet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard Remington Drone Loads should work fine.  If in doubt, you can use slugs or any caliber rifle bullet, 5.56 and on up. I personally use 308 rounds out of my M-14. Tracers are optional.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Ah, so that's why we have a helium shortage. Wonder how many of these they have to fill.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Do you guys realize the capabilities that these platforms can potentially host??......and guys were getting spun up over the NSA and email/cell phone intercept???  

These were affectionally known as the "Unblinking eye" in OIF and OEF.  Of course the intent of this blimp in DC is to guard against cruise missiles..

Oh yea....these are helium and virtually at atmosphere in terms of internal pressure. They would reel them down in Kabul and there would be dozens of holes in them....had virtually no effect whatsoever.
View Quote

Herp derp.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Next you're going to tell us every military aircraft flying over is spying on you or otherwise part of a plot to sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now this is quality humor
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Herp derp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Herp derp.

Herp?  Maybe......

I just find it amusing that folks got their panties in a wad over the NSA pulling data yet a persistent ISR platform over DC is just business as usual. I also truly found it amusing that the reason given was "defense against cruise missiles".  Let's examine that...DC is about 100 miles from the coast.  So exactly what type of cruise missiles is this blimp defending against? Land based? Hmmm....no, I'd have to say sea based, sub launched. If that's the case why is the blimp not closer to or on the coast?

Pretty clear to me that this is a persistent stare ISR platform and will be recording a lot of different INTs, to include FMV.  Now don't get me wrong. I'm good with this as it's really the same model that being applied with the CCTV feeds that are being recorded continuously and used by uncle sugar.  I'm just wondering where the "NSA is the Devil" crowd is at.....

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good place for it.  Enough hot-air in the area to keep it afloat no matter how many bullet holes it gets.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#27]
wonder what a .50bmg would do to a blimp
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Herp?  Maybe......

I just find it amusing that folks got their panties in a wad over the NSA pulling data yet a persistent ISR platform over DC is just business as usual. I also truly found it amusing that the reason given was "defense against cruise missiles".  Let's examine that...DC is about 100 miles from the coast.  So exactly what type of cruise missiles is this blimp defending against? Land based? Hmmm....no, I'd have to say sea based, sub launched. If that's the case why is the blimp not closer to or on the coast?

Pretty clear to me that this is a persistent stare ISR platform and will be recording a lot of different INTs, to include FMV.  Now don't get me wrong. I'm good with this as it's really the same model that being applied with the CCTV feeds that are being recorded continuously and used by uncle sugar.  I'm just wondering where the "NSA is the Devil" crowd is at.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Herp derp.

Herp?  Maybe......

It's not an ISR platform. It's a radar.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Is that right? Are you being serious? Ok, why is a radar platform being located over the Capitol?  What threat is this blimp going to defend against?  Defense against Tea Party Cruise missiles?  

I'd say that it's blimp. What gets hung on it is anybody's guess.....mine is persistent surveillance.  Meets the legal threshold...

Oh yea, a .50 won't do shit unless the electronics are hit. Remember this is at 10,000' AGL....good luck with that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Bring Back the Air Ships
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is that right? Are you being serious? Ok, why is a radar platform being located over the Capitol?  What threat is this blimp going to defend against?  Defense against Tea Party Cruise missiles?  

I'd say that it's blimp. What gets hung on it is anybody's guess.....mine is persistent surveillance.  Meets the legal threshold...

Oh yea, a .50 won't do shit unless the electronics are hit. Remember this is at 10,000' AGL....good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

JLENS is an elevated radar. And yes, it's for cruise missile defense. Try doing a bit of research on it. Also google air defense of the National Capital Region. After 9/11, it gained a lot of importance. The Army bought and fielded air defense systems they deployed no where other than the NCR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Or, you can keep here-derping right along.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#33]
not sure how this is any more efficient than watching me through my laptop webcam.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Who would want to fly on that thing anyway. The first broad gets on with a staticky sweater and its OHMYGAWDTHEHUMANITY
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

JLENS is an elevated radar. And yes, it's for cruise missile defense. Try doing a bit of research on it. Also google air defense of the National Capital Region. After 9/11, it gained a lot of importance. The Army bought and fielded air defense systems they deployed no where other than the NCR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty up to speed on the NCR and still struggling to understand why a cruise missile defense platform is above DC vice the coast.  Perhaps you can enlighten us?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm pretty up to speed on the NCR and still struggling to understand why a cruise missile defense platform is above DC vice the coast.  Perhaps you can enlighten us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you're not as "up" on it as you think.

Tell me, how many JLENS have been produced?
What is its radar horizon/effective radar range?
How much coastline does the US have?
(Hint: here is where you divide the miles of coastline by the range of the JLENS in miles and compare that number to the number of units actually produced.)

In other words, in air defense, you can't protect everywhere. You protect your critical assets. Our politicians have decided the NCR is a critical asset that needs protecting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Over the horizon, wonder what that means? Maybe has enough of a view over the horizon for a decent intercept solution in all directions..

But, I'm not wearing any tin foil...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Glados:

Look at you, soaring through the air like an Eagle... Piloting a blimp.
View Quote

Been waiting for a chance to quote that!

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Over the horizon, wonder what that means? Maybe has enough of a view over the horizon for a decent intercept solution in all directions..

But, I'm not wearing any tin foil...
View Quote

Essentially. Ground based radars are limited by the horizon. It creates a 'dead zone' where aircraft can approach undetected. The lower the aircraft flies, like say a cruise missile, the closer it can approach undetected.

The answer is to elevate the radar. Aircraft have limited on station time. Blimps have a much greater stay time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#40]
DC has got to be the single most defended piece of ground on the planet. You've got Mt. Weather and a dozen other COG facilities in the mountains...and dozens or hundreds other bunkers etc. scattered everywhere. There's the DOD, cia, nsa, fbi, Marines, Navy... no way a sub is going to sneak up close to the coast much less into the bay... the surprising thing about all this is how 2 jokers were able to snarl the entire region up for a month in the sniper attacks. Asymetric warfare?

If I were the planners....

Well, let's just say I-95 and US 1 have always struck me as insane liabilities. Combine with the rail road and the 3 most critical transport lines up and down the Coast run smack through the DC area. I get much is a legacy of the civil war- north-south roads being few and far between but still.... a break in all 3 would shut the place down.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#41]
It's for cruise missile detection.  Sure.  Of course it is.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

(Hint: here is where you divide the miles of coastline by the range of the JLENS in miles and compare that number to the number of units actually produced.)

In other words, in air defense, you can't protect everywhere. You protect your critical assets. Our politicians have decided the NCR is a critical asset that needs protecting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't said anything of substance.  The salient point is that a cruise threat will be sea based.  Moving the detection platform towards the sea increases the detection envelope.  Why would a detection platform designed to detect a sea based threat be based 100 miles away from the water?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You haven't said anything of substance.  The salient point is that a cruise threat will be sea based.  Moving the detection platform towards the sea increases the detection envelope.  Why would a detection platform designed to detect a sea based threat be based 100 miles away from the water?
View Quote

That's completely wrong. Keep reading my previous post, perhaps draw some pictures, until you actually understand what is going on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's completely wrong. Keep reading my previous post, perhaps draw some pictures, until you actually understand what is going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of you previous posts, to include your most recent, have said anything of substance that would explain why this cruise missile radar detection system needs to located over DC proper.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

None of you previous posts, to include your most recent, have said anything of substance that would explain why this cruise missile radar detection system needs to located over DC proper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did, actually. Your refusal to accept it does not constitute a lack of explanation.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:08:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll not speculate why they're putting it though I have ideas....

but

=/=

HUGELY different monster and we have JLENS's up around the country already.....

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ill agree its a hugely different craft and purpose. We have shot cruise missile like targets with Navy SM-6 using JLENS radar information at Whit Sands.

I would not characterize how many we have, and its current usage the same way.

It is my understanding we have bought two, one being the EDM. They have been used in tests around the country and in the Pacific. However, your statement could be construed as we have them up and operational providing a radar Pickett. That's not the case.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:44:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ill agree its a hugely different craft and purpose. We have shot cruise missile like targets with Navy SM-6 using JLENS radar information at Whit Sands.

It is my understanding we have bought two, one being the EDM. They have been used in tests around the country and in the Pacific. However, your statement could be construed as we have them up and operational providing a radar Pickett. That's not the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is true.... but I'm lumping TARS in with JLENS (which are WAY closer than what's in the OP). I may be off on THAT difference.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:55:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sure...why not

Cruise missiles could be ONE of its duties....

Yeah...you can put an amazing amount of sensor arrays on those things.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

this is true.... but I'm lumping TARS in with JLENS (which are WAY closer than what's in the OP). I may be off on THAT difference.

View Quote

We put something similar on the High Speed Vessel as an experiment. JLENS is way cooler, IMO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top