Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2009 3:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2009 2:32:16 PM EDT by edoan1979]
I have a 1996 blazer, I bought it, and it needed a motor. The tranny was rebuild with less then 200 miles on when I had the motor put in. I have put maybe 100 miles on it since I had the motor replaced and now I can not get it to shift out of 1 gear. 20-25 MPH top speed, before I redline it. It did this all at once, no signs of any problems before this. I have checked the fluid and it is red and full, any thoughts?

It was rebuild and it did work right for about 15 miles after the new motor was put it. I do not know how it was rebuild or where I just know it was. The previous owner had it done and then the motor went out, and now they want nothing to do with it and do not want to help me out with any info about when and where it was rebuild. I was thinking and hoping it was something like a vacuum line or something like that.

Now the tranny does nothing, I put it into drive and it does nothing and the same in rev.

But if I leave it for over night and the next day, I can start it and it will pull it out the drive way and shift like it should, and it will also back up like it should. But after about 10 min. it goes out again. I do not know what to do now. any ideas??
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 3:17:53 PM EDT
where was it rebuilt at? if it was a shop most of the time they will warranty their work. id check there first
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 6:51:29 PM EDT
Well, start with basics. Did the trans ever work right after the rebuild? Is the failure of the engine and trans somehow related? Was the torque converter replaced? Was it a crappy "reman" torque converter?
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 6:09:44 AM EDT
Could be a number of things from a TPS, to a shift solenoid in the trans. I would get it on a scanner (not a code reader) and see what it is doing. This sounds like the computer is just not getting all of the information to shift. One more can you put it into D2 and run in second?
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:22:02 PM EDT
Shift solenoids would be a likely cause.

Is it possible that you missed one of the grounds on the back of the cylinder head,when you installed the engine?
Easy to overlook and very difficult to get to.

Check your basics first.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 5:23:58 PM EDT
Blazers are dime a dozen, buy another one for parts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 3:01:57 AM EDT
updated first post
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:45:40 AM EDT
Does you speedometer work? If not, the speed sensor off the transfer case either broken or the connection is bad. A bad sensor will cause your speedometer not to work and your tranny to stay in first.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:57:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By edoan1979:
UPDATE:

Today I had the tranny looked at, from a shop . They said that it a low pressure problem and it would have to rebuild. The price for them to do that $1300. I asked what if I just bought another tranny and they told me that if I did it would burn up also because a ground wire that needs to be replaced to keep it from doing that again. What do you guys think about that??

it must be a known problem on that particular transmission. if you did buy another trans and had them install it you could also have them update that wire so it doesnt happen with the new one. it might be cheaper to buy a rebuilt trans rather than having them rebuild yours.

try and do some research on that problem and see what exactly that wire is they are referring to. my guess is the wire is somewhere on the valve body. if so its not that big of a deal to replace.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:32:32 PM EDT
updated
Top Top