Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 12:25:46 AM EDT
I asked this originally in the ar15 section, but so far 52 views and no replies. Since the folks here seem more in tune with movies, in partcular war movies, I figure I'll probably get better responses here.

What was their setup?

Pre-M4 14.5" barrel with A2 carry handle and sights?

What version Aimpoint were they using on the handle?

Were the lights SureFire 660's?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I asked this originally in the ar15 section, but so far 52 views and no replies. Since the folks here seem more in tune with movies, in partcular war movies, I figure I'll probably get better responses here.

What was their setup?

Pre-M4 14.5" barrel with A2 carry handle and sights?

What version Aimpoint were they using on the handle?

Were the lights SureFire 660's?

IIRC, they were 10.5 inch M733's (Colt Commando).  Not sure what version of Aimpoint, but they look just like the Aimpoints in current use in Iraq, it's possible they got that wrong, I'm not sure.  I'm unsure about the flashlights as well, but most of the stuff they used looked like current or semi-current (recent) issue stuff.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I always wondered how effective those Aimpoints were mounted directly to the carry handle like that. I mean now we have flat tops and gooseneck mounts, so it's no issue. But Aimpoints directly on the handle would seem awfully far back.

Oh well, seems like those guys made pretty good use of them anyway.

I was just curious. I figure at some point I may try to put together a BHD style carbine and wanted to get it as close as possible to the real thing. I'd also like to have a Son Tay Raid style carbine also someday. I dunno why I like patterning guns after spefic time periods and events, but I just do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I always wondered how effective those Aimpoints were mounted directly to the carry handle like that. I mean now we have flat tops and gooseneck mounts, so it's no issue. But Aimpoints directly on the handle would seem awfully far back.

Oh well, seems like those guys made pretty good use of them anyway.

I was just curious. I figure at some point I may try to put together a BHD style carbine and wanted to get it as close as possible to the real thing. I'd also like to have a Son Tay Raid style carbine also someday. I dunno why I like patterning guns after spefic time periods and events, but I just do.

Hmm, well, on the flattops, where the Aimpoint would be if it were on the handle, wouldnt that be like T8?  Cuz if memory serves me right, we usually put them on T10 or T12?  Or about halfway between the middle and the very front....
But its usually user dependent, some guys have way forward, some way back.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Most people tend to mount them out at the very end of the flat top, right next to the handguards. With the carry handle mounts I'm describing, the sight sits in the middle of the receiver, rather than the front.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most people tend to mount them out at the very end of the flat top, right next to the handguards. With the carry handle mounts I'm describing, the sight sits in the middle of the receiver, rather than the front.

Yeah, I understand.

I like to mount mine in the middle or a little closer back,  but thats me personally.

On my Army of One Special Operations poster, the Operators CCO is flush with the front of the rail on top, as close to the handguards as possible.

I dont see why it would be any less effective on the carry handle compared to the rail?  So, I dunno.... *shrugs*
Looks to be in T12 or T14 possibly...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top