Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:23:43 AM EST
Looking for a small lightweight bug out bag. Narrowed it down to these two but am looking for pro's and con's of either bag, or other suggestions for better bags.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:52:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:09:07 AM EST
Nothing against the Larue bag, but why not use an older backpack?

It's not as tacticool, but you can hold more crap with less strain and it will be a little more low profile than a coyote/olive/black bag.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:17:12 AM EST
if you need to store lots of loaded mags go with larue.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:19:04 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:19:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By unpleasant:

www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/230196224.jpg

It's not as tacticool, but you can hold more crap with less strain and it will be a little more low profile than a coyote/olive/black bag.

Probably not the only reason, but you can access the LaRue bag w/o taking it off.
I just got a LaRue BOB, and it's a nice piece. Very well made, and extremely versatile.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:20:02 AM EST
Eberlestock Gunslinger or bust.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:23:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By SierraBT:
i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee47/SierraBT/DSC03750.jpg

what sleeping bag is that?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:37:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By unpleasant:

www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/230196224.jpg

I'm not looking for something as large as a backpack. Looking for something around the size of the LaRue/Blackhawk type bag.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:36:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
I have the LaRue... completely unimpressed. I opted for the Mexpdition Collosus.

I was thinking about a maxpedition, but the rifle BoB's AR mag pouches and pistol pouches is what did it for me.

Would you recommend the Maxpedition Versipacks for pistol range bags?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:51:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:52:56 AM EST
I just got a TailGunner 1 from Kifaru and it's pretty nice. Here's the link to MM's right-up about it.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru5.html

I also have the Hawkepak Bob. It's the exact same bag as the Larue battle bag. It's a great bag too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:55:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kaw77:
3rd option

www.countycomm.com/DESERTBAILOUT.htm

I use this one as my diaper bag.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:57:06 AM EST

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:57:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By supersix4:

what sleeping bag is that?

Snugpak Xpedition. 10 degrees to 0.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:58:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By hobbez84:

I have the LaRue... completely unimpressed. I opted for the Mexpdition Collosus.

I was thinking about a maxpedition, but the rifle BoB's AR mag pouches and pistol pouches is what did it for me.

Would you recommend the Maxpedition Versipacks for pistol range bags?

considering the size of my range bag, my versipack wouldn't be large enough for that role.

the jumbo verispack? perhaps, but I haven't seen one.

my BOB is a spec-ops backpack I picked up from LAPolice Gear (before their CS issues). Plenty of molly strapping for mag pouches, knife, first aid bag, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:59:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hamel:

3rd option

You wear diapers?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:03:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 11:06:31 AM EST by hobbez84]

The versipack I had was small. not much room in it

how about the colossus? Could it fit some ear muffs, various boxes of ammo, and other misc. range tidbits?

Originally Posted By rob78:
considering the size of my range bag, my versipack wouldn't be large enough for that role.

my BOB is a spec-ops backpack I picked up from LAPolice Gear (before their CS issues). Plenty of molly strapping for mag pouches, knife, first aid bag, etc.

yea I was looking at the jumbo, it's just hard to tell if I'll have enough room. I got a lot of good suggestions on regular range bags in a separate thread I made, but I'm a huge fan of the over the shoulder manpurses.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:06:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By 45-Longslide:

Originally Posted By Hamel:

3rd option

You wear diapers?

Only on the weekends before going to the pub.....

Actually for my daughter.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:36:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 11:37:32 AM EST by sirensong]

i'm in sweet, sweet love with my eberlestock.

just picked up a battlelab E&E bag for my 72hr essentials bag, and i really like it. wrote a mini review towards he end of the BOB thread in SF. my advice would be to get the molle version instead of the integral pouch version.

[ETA: for my purposes, it is far superior to the maxpedition products that i used to use.]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:38:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 11:41:06 AM EST by rob78]

Originally Posted By hobbez84:

The versipack I had was small. not much room in it

how about the colossus? Could it fit some ear muffs, various boxes of ammo, and other misc. range tidbits?

Originally Posted By rob78:

yea I was looking at the jumbo, it's just hard to tell if I'll have enough room. I got a lot of good suggestions on regular range bags in a separate thread I made, but I'm a huge fan of the over the shoulder manpurses.

my versipack rides in the jeep, I won't go into how much stuff is crammed in it, but suffice to say it makes a very thorough emergency bag. It gets taken on vacations since it's so handy camera gear and emergency items.

Each vehicle (3) has a bag outfitted similarly: 6 extra CR123 batteries, Gerber multi-plier tool kit, a high-quality led flashlight (Fenix or Surefire), a magnesium fire starter, 200' paracord (good stuff, not the chicom crap that won't hold up), 1 or 2 folding knives, dryer lint in zip lock bag, compass, spare cash, basic first aid (ace bandage, bandaids, rubber gloves, small suture set--all picked up from cheaper than dirt)...and that's about it.

Believe it or not, the bag doesn't have to be big to hold this much. The above goes in a std. versipack or a really small Cheaper than dirt duffle/bob.

My BOB contains the above, and lots more.

ETA: over the shoulder manpurses are easy to keep track of in crowded not-so-friendly areas (newyork/mexico). Much easier to keep an eye on your zippered pockets if the bag's at your side and not on your back. Yep, you look kinda touristy, but WTF do I care?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:46:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:09:36 PM EST

A pack thats a bag and a softside gun case ALL IN ONE! I am DROOLING here.
www.eberlestock.com/Gunslinger%20M%20Series.htm
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:19:30 PM EST
I have been thinking of LaRues but now I'm not sure?????
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:23:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:27:15 PM EST
I have the LaRue bag and I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:30:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 8:32:23 PM EST by Black-Tiger]
In true ARFCOM tradition, I have both of them (Thanks Mark for the Hawkepak) and have never had any problem with either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:30:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 8:31:42 PM EST by Black-Tiger]
Oops! Double-Tap!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:35:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 8:42:20 PM EST by parshooter]

Makes a great book-bag for me....

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:47:54 PM EST
The LaRue bag looks interesting. And its definently more in my price range. But how do you wear it? Other than hand carrying it or using the shoulder strap... how does the belt and leg straps work?

Right now I am using a old Bannana Republic courier bag that was my book bag in high school. When I put six mags, my cleaning kit, the refill ammo for my Glock and the AR, and a couple bottles of water, it gets heavy and it gives me a list that causes my lower back to hurt after a couple hours of walking. As well as the shoulder strap getting uncomfortable after a time. I wear it opposite my carbine when walking out to my shooting area and its much heavier than the carbine. It also slides back and forward a lot if I have to lean forward.

And its just old, the strap is freyed and and has had to be resown back on to the body once already. The bottom corners are still sound but are scuffed and freyed. The pockets don't have enough dividers and everything rolls around inside.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:07:39 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:56:25 AM EST
I bought the Larue pack and am satisfied that it will serve its intended purpose. The giant logo on the flap really sticks out and I will be covering it up with something once I find a patch big enough to cover it. I don't like the slant cuts on the flap either, they cut down on the cover for the mag pouches.
On the other hand, it is very well made and durable. The leg straps were IMHO unnecessary and were not very functional. I ran some drills with them and they got annoying very quickly.

I wasn't crazy about the waist band either, so I will be using some grimlock quick release buckles to secure it quickly when needed. In the mean time the waist strap is just hanging there being in the way. It would be nice if it was removable or stowable.

Overall, I'd say with a few minor modifications, it's exactly what I wanted for a GHB. It holds enough gear, has well designed mag pouches, is tough and durable, and some real thought has gone into its construction. The price is what sold me over the Hawkepack. I liked the Hawkepack's flap design and lack of logo much better. The idea for my GHB is to be inconspicuous. I want to be able to sling a SBR under a jacket or long shirt, and carry extra ammo without drawing attention to myself, for long enough to get back to my home.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:01:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
I bought the Larue pack and am satisfied that it will serve its intended purpose. The giant logo on the flap really sticks out and I will be covering it up with something once I find a patch big enough to cover it. I don't like the slant cuts on the flap either, they cut down on the cover for the mag pouches.
On the other hand, it is very well made and durable. The leg straps were IMHO unnecessary and were not very functional. I ran some drills with them and they got annoying very quickly.

I wasn't crazy about the waist band either, so I will be using some grimlock quick release buckles to secure it quickly when needed. In the mean time the waist strap is just hanging there being in the way. It would be nice if it was removable or stowable.

Overall, I'd say with a few minor modifications, it's exactly what I wanted for a GHB. It holds enough gear, has well designed mag pouches, is tough and durable, and some real thought has gone into its construction. The price is what sold me over the Hawkepack. I liked the Hawkepack's flap design and lack of logo much better. The idea for my GHB is to be inconspicuous. I want to be able to sling a SBR under a jacket or long shirt, and carry extra ammo without drawing attention to myself, for long enough to get back to my home.

based upon this post, the battlelab would fit your needs/wants almost exactly. no logo, full messenger-type flap (with map case), stowable waist/leg strap, 3 2xm4 pouches, well built. maxpedition-style pistol compartment (with holster/mag carrier included in base price)

only possible objection might be the ~$80 price.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:03:46 AM EST
Sirensong,
that battlelabs bag looks like a winner! I'll have to start saving for it. They didn't show the courrier cover in the picture on the diamondback web page, or any other pictures so it was hard to get a feel for the product. With the Larue I new what I was getting. I should have looked closer at the battlelabs bag.

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:12:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By streetfighter:

IBMLGPTSDHP
(In before Mark Larue gets pissed that someone dissed his product)

Oh well, Mark is a great guy and has some amazing stuff, that doesn't mean his products have all been sanctified by his divine touch. The bag is not in any way discreet, although the mag pouches are very useful and accessible. The huge LaRue Tactical logo is once again, not in any way discreet. I prefer something with more capacity.

ERRRRR....LARUE DOESN'T MAKE HIS BOB, ITS A HAWKESPAK WITH THE LARUE LOGO.

sheesh.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:20:58 AM EST
The older version of the Hawkspack had a full sized courrier flap without the angle cuts, IIRC. That might be why some people don't connect the two.

I can't wait to take the BAttlelabs bag for a few test runs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:26:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Sirensong,
that battlelabs bag looks like a winner! I'll have to start saving for it. They didn't show the courrier cover in the picture on the diamondback web page, or any other pictures so it was hard to get a feel for the product. With the Larue I new what I was getting. I should have looked closer at the battlelabs bag.

Thanks for the heads up.

glad to share. here's the mini-review i posted in the survival forum:

Originally Posted By sirensong:
cool rig above--reminded me that i haven't done a review on the battlelab E&E that i picked up to replace the jumbo as my essentials bag. haven't humped it much, but here are my first impressions...

construction: seems quite solid, with no readily apparent weak spots. seaming is good. solid zipper.

fabric: instead of the shiny nylon that is used in maxpedition products, this feels almost exactly like the canvas used in the old b4 flight bag. i went with the green version, which reinforces this impression. again, seems solid, but will have to get it out and about before i can make any real judgements. if i had it to do over again, i would have gone with the coyote. unlike the maxpedition green, this screams military.

layout: this is a bag designed with shooters in mind. i went with the original version that has integral mag pouches, which upon reflection was a mistake. the reason is that unlike the jumbo, there are no utility-type subdivisions in the bag--it has a main compartment and mag pouches. the biggest problem i have is that there is no specific pocket big enough to accomodate an IFAK. i have a cinch-tight in one rifle mag pouch, and the rest of the kit in a bag inside the main compartment--not a great arrangement. it would have been far better to go with the molle/pals version so that i could have put everything in an EMT pouch under the flap.

speaking of the "messenger" flap, i do really like it. the map case is one of those "why didn't i think of that" things.

the top of the main compartment has ports for a hydration tube, but the bag really isn't roomy enough to accomodate a decent bladder.

the pistol mag pouches on one end of the bag are solid, and will take one double- or 2 single-stack mags. velcro closures. approx 1 1/4" of the mag will be exposed with the flaps closed, so this is not the most discreet arrangement. i use them for multi and flashlight, and carry spare mags in the pistol compartment.

speaking of the pistol compartment, it will be familiar to anyone who has dealt with maxpedition products. it is on the outboard side of the bag, inside the main compartment. this means that you have to open the zipper to access it. OTOH, the top flap means that it is possible to carry the bag with the zipper open, but i don't know how i feel about that. the holster and one mag carrier are included, which is a nice change from maxpedition's policy of selling them seperately. this is about $18 value added.

all in all, i'm pleased with it, but i should have chosen better. the standard layout is a shooter's bag. i would strongly recommend that anyone considering it for an EDC or GHB to go with the molle version--the standard layout is quite limiting, but molle would clear up most of these concerns.

PROs:

-robust construction.
-good discretion factor if proper color is chosen.
-good capacity--enough for a 72hr bag.
-the big one--can accomodate rifle mags in a lopro manner.
-stowable waist belt keeps the thing from banging around.

CONs:

-awkward weapon compartment.
-can't carry a water bottle on the exterior of the bag. (molle would fix this)
-no utility/FAK pocket. (molle fix)

sorry if this is out of place, but it seemed to fit with the last page or so of small bag info. contents are the same as my post on p9.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:35:55 PM EST

The huge LaRue Tactical logo is once again, not in any way discreet.

Mine just says "LaRue," with the outline of Texas behind it.

I doubt anyone outside of internet gun boards has a clue as to what LaRue is. I'd rather it not have a big outline of Texas on it.

It's still a great bag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:45:05 PM EST
Go maxpedition
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:40:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:49:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By fishngrits:

I doubt anyone outside of internet gun boards has a clue as to what LaRue is. I'd rather it not have a big outline of Texas on it.

It's still a great bag.

you could convince me to sell you mine, its never been used.

I don't need it, but thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:55:40 PM EST

It's still a great bag.

you could convince me to sell you mine, its never been used.

I'll give you $20 for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:59:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:00:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:25:09 PM EST

It's still a great bag.

Mine says LaRue Tacitcal with the Texas outline, but I understand they've removed the word Tactical on their new ones.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:31:48 AM EST
I have the Hawk Pak, which is basically the Larue. I like it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:35:21 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:03:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By streetfighter:

IBMLGPTSDHP
(In before Mark Larue gets pissed that someone dissed his product)

But Mark LaRue's products could never be bad!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:06:42 AM EST
I have now had my eyes opened to the Maxpedition Colossus, looks like a sweet pack, but my only concern is that I see the picture of the guy wearing it, and it looks ginormous. Anybody sporting this bag care to give a quick review on how it is to carry. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:11:58 AM EST
Top Top