Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 10:51:06 AM EDT
Does any black powder rifle , or what ever require a ffl.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
BP muzzle loading firearms (non-cartridge) and replicas thereof are exempt and you can buy them through the mail.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK Black Powder weapons do not need FFL for puchase, Only weapons that require a cartrige.

ETA  ......beat me to it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
SAAAWWWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTT any cheap places to ship lead , looking for a few tons.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
No ffl and that aint all.  There is NO SIZE LIMIT!  If you're man enough to load it, you can own it. 3" bore?  No problem.  If you have to haul it on a railcar as long as it loads from the front and uses bp or a bp substitute the BATFE considers it as a toy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No ffl and that aint all.  There is NO SIZE LIMIT!  If you're man enough to load it, you can own it. 3" bore?  No problem.  If you have to haul it on a railcar as long as it loads from the front and uses bp or a bp substitute the BATFE considers it as a toy.

ssssshhhhhhh.......don't give them any ideas......staraero may have a dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
To purchase, you do not need an FFL.  If you want to ship one to someone, there are places it's illegal, so you might want to be careful.  I doubt anywhere in TN is going to be one of those places you can't mail order one though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Under .fed law no FFL required.  State law may differ (CA, NY, NJ, MA & other occupied areas).  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
MI makes you get a purchase permit and register a black powder revolver.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Not the last I heared, only if you convert it to use modern ammunition, though some stores insist on perchase permits, there not required though last I asked....

As far as FFL's, it's not just muzzle loaders ALL Black powder weapons are considered antiques includeing cartridge arms as long as that caliber is no longer made, and is not readily available, also any origionals that were produced in 1898, or earlier are also considered antiques regardless of whethor or not they take modern ammunition....
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Under .fed law no FFL required.  State law may differ (CA, NY, NJ, MA & other occupied areas).  

Black powder pistols are regulated in NYS if you also possess the powder, caps and ball etc. to fire it. In that case you are required to register the pistol on your pistol license. If you do not possess the "ammunition" a BP pistol is not regulated in NYS.  

New York City has it's own laws that regulate "firearms" so it may not be legal in NYC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the last I heared, only if you convert it to use modern ammunition, though some stores insist on perchase permits, there not required though last I asked....

As far as FFL's, it's not just muzzle loaders ALL Black powder weapons are considered antiques includeing cartridge arms as long as that caliber is no longer made, and is not readily available, also any origionals that were produced in 1898, or earlier are also considered antiques regardless of whethor or not they take modern ammunition....

I did some research and found that the law was changed in 2004 (HB 5427, HB 5428, HB 5429). These changes made it so you no longer need a permit to purchase nor do you have to register them.

I wonder if I should burn my registration card for my 1858 Remington
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top