Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2001 3:05:56 AM EDT
Anyone know where to get the powder, balls and patches. I recently got my derringer back and want to shoot it but not quite sure what to use. No I dont have the owners manual so that is why I am searching this out first.thanks guys [):)] pg
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Check Cabela's: [url]www.cabelas.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to find the powder locally. Look for a Black Powder club they can point you in the right direction.

You can get the balls from any of the mail order shooting supply houses. I usually get mine from Midsouth Shooter's Supply.

For patch material I use .017 thick pillow ticking that I get at a local fabric store. I wash it and then tear it into strips about an inch and a half wide. I then cut my patches at the muzzle as a I load my rifles.

Rusty
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of department store chains have black powder supplies in their sporting goods section.

You don't necessarily need to use genuine black powder either.  "Pyrodex" is a modern equivelent that is safer to handle and shoots cleaner than black powder.  It is easier to find in stores than black powder too.

BTW, is this a reproduction derringer or an original?  If you are unfamiliar with it I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first to make sure it is safe and determine a safe loading for it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#4]
propguy,
Check out [url]http://www.mtnstatemuzzleloading.com/[/url]

They've gotta lot of balls, there. Really. [;)]

Oh yeah, check out Ox-Yoke Lubed patches.
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2001 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob at http://www.cap-n-ball.com/thunder provides excellent service. Highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A lot of department store chains have black powder supplies in their sporting goods section.

You don't necessarily need to use genuine black powder either.  "Pyrodex" is a modern equivelent that is safer to handle and shoots cleaner than black powder.  It is easier to find in stores than black powder too.

BTW, is this a reproduction derringer or an original?  If you are unfamiliar with it I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first to make sure it is safe and determine a safe loading for it.

View Quote
It is a reproduction that my father and I built many years ago and I just got it back [It was a kit BTW] It was shot then but not since and now that MY son is older Iam sure he would love to see that thing go BOOM thanks for the reply [):)]pg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top