Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2003 4:18:28 PM EDT
There is a spot on the left side of my chin where occasionally a hair will sprout up that is roughly four times the thickness of a normal facial hair.  I'll grab it with tweezers and pull the bugger out, which also will have a certain degree of creamy goo to come out behind it.  Squeeze out goo...examine said hair a little more...probing at it and such out of some twisted curiosity...and that's the end of it.  I refer to these as my "fly hairs" refering to the hairs Jeff Goldblum started to sprout in the movie "The Fly."

However, twice now in the past 4-5 months or so, I'll get one nasty little nugget grow on my chin...same general area as the fly hairs.  You know the type...painfull as hell...grows from underneath and beggs you to fuss with it in an often futile attempt to hose down the bathroom mirror with an ejaculation of puss and goo.  Usually just gets swollen as hell and you look like you have a strange lop-sided birth-defect for a chin.

Anywho, after each one of these has run its course and I start fussing full-bull...I end up digging out this "thing."  It's about 1/8" long and has the same hard consistency of a fingernail clipping.  Truly bizzare.

Anyone else get these?  Is there a term for them?  Again, as much as I wish they'd stop, I still have a freakish fascination with whatever these things are that are growing out of my chin.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I get those thick hair thingys. Only about twice a year or so. I would also like to know what freak thing it is as well.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmmm, must be Kentucky.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#3]
You got Da Bumbs
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Pictures!!!!

Did you ever show this to your doctor?

Ever have an ujury that could have imbedded splinters of ______? in your chin?  That would not explain the thick hair thing, though.

I would show the thic k hair thing to the doctor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Dremel tool would be a lot more efficient at removing them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one of these on my arm about ten years ago. I pulled it out and haven't had another one since.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
We call them infected hair follicles.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Seek HELP!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Eeeewwww.  I should learn not to click on links like this.

Actually, I recently had a big hair such as you describe growing on my chin.  I kept shaving it down and it kept growing, so I did pull it out.  No goo, however.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#11]
They are called tentacles, I suggest you move to a location that is not so close to a nuclear power plant.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a spot on the left side of my chin where occasionally a hair will sprout up that is roughly four times the thickness of a normal facial hair.  I'll grab it with tweezers and pull the bugger out, which also will have a certain degree of creamy goo to come out behind it.  Squeeze out goo...examine said hair a little more...probing at it and such out of some twisted curiosity...and that's the end of it.  I refer to these as my "fly hairs" refering to the hairs Jeff Goldblum started to sprout in the movie "The Fly."

However, twice now in the past 4-5 months or so, I'll get one nasty little nugget grow on my chin...same general area as the fly hairs.  You know the type...painfull as hell...grows from underneath and beggs you to fuss with it in an often futile attempt to hose down the bathroom mirror with an ejaculation of puss and goo.  Usually just gets swollen as hell and you look like you have a strange lop-sided birth-defect for a chin.

Anywho, after each one of these has run its course and I start fussing full-bull...I end up digging out this "thing."  It's about 1/8" long and has the same hard consistency of a fingernail clipping.  Truly bizzare.

Anyone else get these?  Is there a term for them?  Again, as much as I wish they'd stop, I still have a freakish fascination with whatever these things are that are growing out of my chin.
View Quote

sounds like a cyst dude, doctors have cut open cysts to find fingernais, teeth, even hair
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Man....
You are screwed! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
sounds like a cyst dude, doctors have cut open cysts to find fingernais, teeth, even hair
View Quote

WOO HOO! You know I heard that those types of "cysts" are remants of a twin that never got to full term!

I get this reoccurring bump in the middle of my chest. When I squeeze it, white pasty stuff that smells just like parmasean cheese oozes out. I haven't tried any on spaghetti yet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I get this reoccurring bump in the middle of my chest. When I squeeze it, white pasty stuff that smells just like parmasean cheese oozes out. I haven't tried any on spaghetti yet.
View Quote
Bastard! That's gross. And I was hungry too!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You Fool!  It's Kouto, from Total Recall, trying to emerge and aid us in keeping the AWB from becoming permanent law.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dug one out about two hours ago. A few months ago I switched from using a razor to using a Remington R9200, and since then the number of these guys have increased to where I will have two-three of them weekly. I've noticed that they tend to get infected if they're not removed at an early stage (I now sport a not-so-sexy scar on my jawline from one I didn't remove soon enough.)
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll give you a quarter if you eat it.  Pics required.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
...at least it wasn't on yer @ss!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#20]
In my yout' I had these things or a reasonable facsimile way too often.  They drove me crazy and hurt like hell.  I got them on my neck, cheeks and chin...right where I shave.  I think the quack said they are a type of folliculitis, that is an infected ingrown hair.  The condition often begins when we shave real close against the grain, cutting the hair short, under the skin and scraping the skin hard too.  We don't even notice it sometimes.

As the hair begins to regrow, it has to push through the skin.  When it can't, it sometimes turns in and literally begins to coil as it grows, OR a few hair follicles begin to grow together, forming a large hard hair that breaks apart when you finally dig that sucker out!  Like a littel tree.

Because the ingrown hairs are under the skin growing, your body treats them like a foreign body and tries to kill it, thus the pus, which is dead white blood cells, those nice infection fighters.  Nails are a form of hair.  Some people's bodies actually grow nails on parts of their body other than the hands and feet.  Again, normally, the body might treat these like a foreign body and attack, making a pustule and a small infection.

Use a new design multi-blade razor with new new blades.  Shave with the grain as much as possible, after showering if possible.  Use a washcloth with the hottest water your face can stand to soften your beard...BEFORE you lather up.  By doing this, you make the beard soft and the damn blade will cut much easier AND last almost forever.  The blade companies won't tell you that...but it is true.  Use a good shave cream too.

If it persists, go to the doc and have him/her look at it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree it's probably a cyst.

I get them occasionally. Nothing an Xacto knife and some rubbing alcohol won't handle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I have to agree w/ the shaving part--I do it in the shower as the last thing I do before I get out.

That way my face and facial hair are all softened up.  Since I started doing this I have yet to have any nicks like when I would shave in the sink prior too or after a shower.

It's the way to go.

Imbroglio said he gets a bump on his chest every now and then, I got the same thing on the side of my back under my shoulder blade.
One night at work I scratched my back (itch) and later notice that my shirt was 'wet' around that area.  Feeling back there I found an enlarged bump like a small cyst.  It kinda alarmed me to the point that I went to the bathroom and check it out in the mirror.  Up close I noticed two small holes in my skin that I thought may have been punctures due to a spider bite or something.  Thus, giving me an enlarged 'irritated' area.  Funny thing tho--it didn't hurt.  
So anyway, like all bumps--I sqeeze it an literally covered the mirror w/ a 'coagulated' puss.  It almost felt like there were layers and every new angle of sqeezing brought a new explosion.  This went on for 10 mins at work and later at home.
I finally got to where what little 'puss' that was coming out was tinted a very light pink. STRANGE!!
BTW, it also smelled funny--not like bring it close to my nose and actually smell--you could smell it away from my body.

I  have often wondered if it was a spider bite, or some type of cyst/tumorous growth--I don't know.  It also never had an 'irritated' red color around the skin.

Doc, what is it?    (it's small now)
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#23]
My father had a tooth excised from his abdomen when he was a teenager.  Wasn't the first time his doctor had seen it either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

HEY! Careful what ya say, I have had a "thing" that sounds EXACTLY like this very close to me ballsack for 2 weeks! [shock] Except that it "pops" itself during normal everyday walking. [ROFL2]
AB
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I had one of the uber-zits/cysts in my ear (!) last week.  It was a real bitch to see, let alone get to.  I couldn't get good leverage to pop it, and I don't think that's a good idea, anyway; it can release all the pus and other infected stuff under your skin, causing furthur problems.  So I lanced it with my ken onion chive.  [;)]  After I broke the thing (which took quite a bit of painful stabbing), it let go with a lot of blood & pus.  I had to squeeze a lot to get all of the junk out and reduce the area back down to normal size.  I think this was the day before I met Wave, Winston_Wolf, FrankSquid, Deliverator, and mike103 in NYC.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone else feel kinda pathetic talking about this shit in a public forum like this? [puke]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone else feel kinda pathetic talking about this shit in a public forum like this? [puke]
View Quote

Nope, not at all! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

HEY! Careful what ya say, [red]I have had a "thing" that sounds EXACTLY like this very close to me ballsack for 2 weeks![/red] [shock] Except that it "pops" itself during normal everyday walking. [ROFL2]
AB
View Quote

WAS NOT!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussions such as this point out one of the drawbacks of having a 34 year old leggy supermodel for your primary MD.

cynic

[edited for graph-id-a-tee]  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for sharing that with us although I think that I could have done without the graphic description...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#32]
I get this 4X thickness hair that grows out of my right nostril. I get it at least once or twice a year. That shit is like thick fishing line!!!

What the hell is that all about?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WOO HOO! You know I heard that those types of "cysts" are remants of a twin that never got to full term!

View Quote

DUDE!!![:X*]
You sack o' shit![%|]
I think you just permanently killed my appetite...[puke]

*NME runs to the window to hurl his guts out...*
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I got one of those things on the back of my right ear about a year ago.  Swelled up to about the size of a large marble, to no avail could not make it go away..  Then one night my GF noticed it, touched it and said whats this.  After all the squezzing, pushing, pulling, cutting you name it to no avail, she goes and touches it and the mother fucker pops!!!  Covered her hand in slimy, pussy, bloody goo.  Needless to say I slept alone that night!  Come to think of it she broke up with my about three days later.  It was VERY nasty.  Didn't taste all that bad though.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After all the squezzing, pushing, pulling, cutting you name it to no avail, she goes and touches it and the mother fucker pops!!!  Covered her hand in slimy, pussy, bloody goo.
It was VERY nasty.  [red]Didn't taste all that bad though.[/red]
View Quote

[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone want a bite of my Cream of Wheat?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Okay, saw the title of this thread and tried to move on.......but just like a train wreck, you don't want to stop and watch, but you can't help yourself.

Once had a very thick hair on my chin that my electric razor couldn't cut.  It just kind of grinded at it.  Finally got sick of it and pulled it out with a pair of tweezers and found that on the top it was one hair but at the bottom had four roots.  Pretty weird.  It eventually grew back.  Pulled it out again a few month later and it has been gone now for 15 years.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I read in JAMA many years ago about a guy with a similar problem.
It turned out it was the remnant of female genitalia.
Misplaced gonadal tissue that was clitoral in fact.

Dude you're a HERMAPHRODITE.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#40]
This is an awesome thread.

19119640:
The size of a marble?! Holy crap!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

HEY! Careful what ya say, [red]I have had a "thing" that sounds EXACTLY like this very close to me ballsack for 2 weeks![/red] [shock] Except that it "pops" itself during normal everyday walking. [ROFL2]
AB
View Quote

WAS NOT!
View Quote

[ROFL]

AB
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
[size=6]WAY TO MUCH INFORMATION![/size=6]

Oh and thank's for the nightmare visuals.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#43]
The easy fix is to amputate it at the neck!!!

You know, the 4 life saving steps:
Start the bleeding
Stop the breathing
Dirty the wound
Induce shock

Or you could apply a tourniquet around your neck...
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#44]
A buddy of mine of African heritage has a problem like that.  It's on the back of his neck though and at time it extends damn near ear to ear.  I tease him about it being his unborn twin brother.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread does rock, need to be back on top.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#46]
okay I've got one!

Me and my dad have these little 'skin tabs' in our armpits that are  *goes to get ruler*  ummm....  *goes to bathroom to look in mirror*

that are 1/16" -  1/8" in diameter and about 1/16" long.

I had one on my belt line that I removed with a piece of Ice and nail clippers [:D]. That was my last attempt to remove them.

anyway, what the hell are these things? Undeveloped extra limbs?  

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Man I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I think LWilde is about as close to the JAMA definition as we are going to get.

I have had these in the past and at first, they are just a foreign body reaction but if ignored, can become infected with pyogenic/pryogenic bacteria and then are very painful and can scar.

I find them before they cause damage by carefully feeling for them with soapy fingers etc...they feel like bumps.  Careful extraction as they often fall apart.  I have had a "lump" as big as #4 shot!  I cut that sucker apart on the stereo microscope...looked like layers of hair fiber glued with sebacous oils and dead skin.  The root was slowly being reabsorbed.

Once infection sets in, the swelling prevents most attempts at extraction unless you get jiggy with the instruments.  

Please note, these are limited to the upper dermis and unless a raging staph infection sets in, do not transcend to the fascia.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Of course, the real goal is to get one of these babies to stick, erect, to the bathroom mirror when you squeeze 'em out. They make a rather distinctive "dook" sound when they impact your typical medicine cabinet mirror.

OK, now let's talk eyebrows. I've got one above my right eye that looks like 10-lb test. It's pure white, and grows at about 10x the rate of normal hair. What should I do with this thing? Occasionally, I'll pluck one out and show Mrs. Benz the impressive length. So far, she's failed to see the coolness of a 1.5" long eyebrow hair.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn! Imbroglio and I have something in common!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top