Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2002 8:32:04 AM EDT
A British computer insurer compiled a list of the 10 most bizarre ways its customers have wrecked their laptops.
[url]http://msn.com.com/2100-1103-935618.html[/url]

Lame, really lame  .  .  .

Americans can do a MUCH better job of wrecking a computer/laptop, because we have access to guns, destructive devices, and we Americans have MUCH better imaginations! [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Well you have to allow for the fact that these were all accidental damages.  I'm sure the britons could do a little better if the destruction was done on PURPOSE!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
3rd place:
involved a dog chewing through the laptop's cable and shorting out the machine--although the dog was unharmed.

where is peta when you need them...?
[+]:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i took my mom's computer screen which was only about 1 yr old, but it  had just gone , so anyway i took it and shot it at the range.  it started to smoke and stuff.  it was cool!!  i didnt know this, but after i shot the glass i picked up a large chunk and the glass is about 1.5 - 2inches thick!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Dumping a coke in it works really well. Least it did for a gal at my last work.

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to work in portables support... I've heard of and seen many ways to kill a laptop....

A guy in a south American rainforest had run down his battery... so he used JUMPER CABLES and clamped them to his system... fryed it real quick.

Guy's 4 year old kid took his brand new laptop outside, stomped on it repeatedly, then kicked it into the swimming pool.

A guy's parrot picked all the keys off of his keyboard.

A guy's cat pissed on his keyboard

Of course, there's the coffee/coke/orange juice spill... seen that one plenty.

Guy put his portable on the roof of his car, forgot it, and proceeded to get on the freeway, where it fell off at 65mph+.  The laptop was recovered.  Needless to say, it was irreparable.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets see - ways in which I've personally killed computers...

1.  Fried CPU (iced tea, spilled)
2.  Cracked monitor (punched)
3.  Shattered laptop (stomped)
4.  CPU internal injuries (no seatbelt or airbag)
5.  Another fried CPU (electrical storm)
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
One word:

Tannerite.

However it'd be a bit tough to explain to an insurance company.  

"Ummm, well I spilled two different compounds onto my laptop, then shot it with an AR15. How was I supposed to know it would EXPLODE?  You really should put a warning label on your laptops..."

Viper Out
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Windows 98 ME, first release.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I once used an old notebook as a target (.22 LR), then had it placed on a tech's bench with a repair order. I'm told the look on his face when he opened it up was priceless! Wish I could have been there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The g/f and I killed an Epson ActionNote notebook on 4th of July, 1999.  Set it out in the field behind the house with a large er, "firework" wedged between the keyboard and screen.
[red][size=5]BOOM![/size=5][/red]

The result was indescriable  -  - but i do have pix! Reminds me of a quote: [b][i]There is no problem, either personal or professional, that cannot be solved through the use of high explosives!"[/b][/i] [:D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.  Cracked monitor (punched)
3.  Shattered laptop (stomped)
View Quote

Okay I'll bite-

1 You punched and stomped your own computer?
2 A bully did it?
3 You used your laptop to fend off an attack?
View Quote

Both were my fault.

Monitor stopped showing the entire bottom of the screen (literally, it just cut off at the halfway point so you couldn't see anything at the bottom).  At first it would come back on with a light tap to the left side of the monitor, but it grew worse until it needed a good punching to get a view of the full screen.  Guess I went a bit to hard the last time and permanently punched its lights out.

The laptop really deserved it.  Worked fine until the day of a 24hr take-home final.  Then it started crashing every time I opened my class notes (or any other document for that matter).  I slammed it to the floor and jumped up and down on it a few times, but it didn't help.

I really need to work on my anger management skills.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really need to work on my anger management skills.
View Quote

Have some Scooby Snacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top