Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 6:13:29 AM EDT
So last night/early morning someone knocks on my door.  It was pouring rain so I thought "just some jerkoff trying to get out of the rain on my porch."  Then I look at the clock 3:00am.  No way I'm answering.  Knocks again.  Knocks again, ok now I am pissed.  I get up, chamber a round and go toward the door.  I can hear a radio dispatcher now.  I shout throught the door and he says "Police."  

Turns out it is a cop.  The next town over received a report that a car identical to mine with my plate number was broken into in their jurisdiction.  Either that or it was involved in a break in, not sure, remember it was 3:00am.  

So he asks if I've been home all night (by the way the car is in front of my house obviously not broken into so he saw it before he knocked) and verifys my name.  Yes, last time I was out was at 6:00pm to get salad and some soda.

He calls the other town and tells them all this.  He asks if I've been in a nightclub.  No, I've been home all evening/night.  So he make some apologies and leaves.

I notice I have had a call and a message.  It is the other town's PD.  Exact car, exact plate number - we've had a report and need to speak with you.  WTF?

Does this happen often?  How could two police departments get involved in this?  It just freaked me out.  This is a heavily populated area, but my exact plate and car - whom no one has access to but me?  It never left my drive unless it has robot powers.  

G
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So last night/early morning someone knocks on my door.  It was pouring rain so I thought "just some jerkoff trying to get out of the rain on my porch."  Then I look at the clock 3:00am.  No way I'm answering.  Knocks again.  Knocks again, ok now I am pissed.  I get up, chamber a round and go toward the door.  I can hear a radio dispatcher now.  I shout throught the door and he says "Police."  

Turns out it is a cop.  The next town over received a report that a car identical to mine with my plate number was broken into in their jurisdiction.  Either that or it was involved in a break in, not sure, remember it was 3:00am.  

So he asks if I've been home all night (by the way the car is in front of my house obviously not broken into so he saw it before he knocked) and verifys my name.  Yes, last time I was out was at 6:00pm to get salad and some soda.

He calls the other town and tells them all this.  He asks if I've been in a nightclub.  No, I've been home all evening/night.  So he make some apologies and leaves.

I notice I have had a call and a message.  It is the other town's PD.  Exact car, exact plate number - we've had a report and need to speak with you.  WTF?

Does this happen often?  How could two police departments get involved in this?  It just freaked me out.  This is a heavily populated area, but my exact plate and car - whom no one has access to but me?  It never left my drive unless it has robot powers.  

G

I wouldn't go without a lawyer....what town is it anyway?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds to me like you may have pissed someone off and they are getting you back.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have lapses in memory?

Do you wake up sore & tired?

Do you find strange bruises on yourself?

Do you ever wake up in strange places with no idea how you go there?

Do you live in a vortex duplicate universe?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like you may have pissed someone off and they are getting you back.

By reporting my car has been broken into?  Odd way to do it, but I take your point.

G
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

G

Happens all the time.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you have lapses in memory?

Do you wake up sore & tired?

Do you find strange bruises on yourself?

Do you ever wake up in strange places with no idea how you go there?

Do you live in a vortex duplicate universe?

Have a teenager with access to your keys?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet you are schizophrenic and the other you went out to the night club had fun and got the car broken into.  He didnt want you to know he was out so he repaired the damage before the you found out.  So who is the real you. Him or you?  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Many years ago I had something similiar happen, except they thought my truck was involved in a hit and run.  My truck was blue, but they were looking for a red one same year and model, same license plate.  Ran the plate and got my address, and came to pay me a visit.

They passed my truck in the parkng lot of the complex, but either they didn't see it or just wanted to triple check.  After they said my plate had been reported in a hit and run with another vehicle, I thought, "Oh shit!  Someone stole my license plate!"  So I asked them could we go down and look they said sure.

1995 Ford F-150.  Check

License plate number, Check and was still there.

But they wanted a red one and mine was blue.  After they walked around the truck they said, well, wrong color and no damage, so obviously someone got the wrong plate number.  Have a nice day, sir.

Not the same as your story, but close - sans the color.  I don't think they would have been so convinced they just had the wrong color except there was no damage on my truck and the one they were looking for was pretty messed up from the accident, given what they told me (6 car accident, and that vehicle was involved, and then crashed into another vehicle fleeing the scene).  

Wierd.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bet you are schizophrenic and the other you went out to the night club had fun and got the car broken into.  He didnt want you to know he was out so he repaired the damage before the you found out.  So who is the real you. Him or you?  

This is the state of MSU medical education...

G
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
So, who's posting this, the GOOD glock23carry or the BAD glock23carry?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have a teenager with access to your keys?

My exact thought.

Nope.

G
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]

How could two police departments get involved in this?

The "other town tried calling and after getting the answering machine, sent your town PD to try to contact you.
As for having exact plate and car description getting broken into, that's weird. Didn't think DMV issue same plate numbers in same states.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#16]
they must have gotten no plate numbers or partial numbers and were chekcing people out with the same kind of car registered in your area. No big deal. I would not think another thing about it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the "stolen license plate" problem once..... and it was a pain in the ass.  Cause mine wasn't stolen!

I was coming back from Canada visiting my cousin, probably 15 years ago, and at the U.S. Border, they asked me the standard questions, and they have mirrors mounted up where the guy in the booth can see your plate on the back of your vehicle so they can run your plate.  Next thimg I know, he steps out of the booth, waves at some guy up the lane, and tells me to "drive towards that officer and pull over".

After having my vehicle searched, and myself searched inside the office, and about a 20 minute wait where no one would talk to me or answer questions, I was told I could leave.  They finally told me that my license plate had been reported stolen from a station wagon in Detroit.  I was driving a Dodge Daytona. I had my registration and all my paperwork in the vehicle (for once) and was told to go to DPD and make a report that someone made an error typing in the original reported stolen plate.

All it takes is a typo on the report.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:49:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So, who's posting this, the GOOD glock23carry or the BAD glock23carry?

Good, bad... I'm the one with the gun.

G

ETA - that's an AoD reference and in no way meant as anything else
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I once got followed home when i was about 16 and told a vehicle matching the same desc. as mine had been involved in a shootout with the police, they asked for consent to search and i said no, the trucks in my fathers name let get him up, it was about 1 A.M., they were looking for a firearm and he can let you do all of this. Cop says hold on a min. and asked where i had been, i told him and he called my g/f and verified it i had been at her house all night. As all 6 cars were getting ready to leave i asked just what the hell is going on , turned out during a traffic stop about an hour  earlier the driver of the vehicle blew the windshield out of a cop car, put about 5 or 6 rds of OO buckshot into the windshield then got away. Next morning I realized my shotgun was behind the seat from dove hunting a few days earlier, i had forgot to get it out. Thank god i had an alibi or i would probably still be in jail.
           Edited for spelling
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top