Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:48:07 PM EDT
My neighbors have about a 2-3 acre pond and 5 acre pasture in their backyard that is directly behind mine. Every year we have about a dozen geese that come, breed, lay eggs, raise the chicks and fly off. We also have random mallards and other ducks. They also fly over the fence and come into my yard and sh!t in it, which my dogs end up eating. I've never tried it, but I don't know why they think it's so good...

I do shoot every single sparrow and starling/blackbird I see as I view them as ferral pests. I believe it is legal to kill those birds. I usually just toss them over the fence or in the garbage dumpster so the dogs don't chew them up and roll in them.

BUT... I know it's illegal to shoot wild birds like geese unless you have a license and it's hunting season. I really don't want the things sh!tting and tearing up my yard, as well as one day with the bird flu going around to possibly spread it this way. I pop most of the birds with a .177 1000fps RWS 34. It will go in the geese that I've shot, but no kills. I'm sure they'll die from the wounds sometime if I shoot each one enough.

Opinions? Am I too paranoid? Would you shoot them too if you were me?

Also, if the bird flu does spread and becomes found in migratory birds like ducks, geese, etc. What do you think this will do to the waterfowl hunting industry and will you continue to hunt this coming fall and the years to come if it's a regular thing that pops up around the states?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
I'm not sure...
Wounding them may further contaminate the area if they're infected...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:50:31 PM EDT
Blood mist in the air?

Sounds like a great anti-flu method - NOT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:52:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Blood mist in the air?

Sounds like a great anti-flu method - NOT

I'm shooting them with a .177 pellet gun. It'll go in them but won't exit. I figure if I shoot them enough they'll either die or fly to a safer place to lay their eggs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:53:16 PM EDT
not too sure

but my first thought might be that shooting them, handling them and then your dogs eating less shit but digging up the dead birds and rolling in them and eating them might be a bad play.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:54:27 PM EDT
Just get a good laser pointer.

The geese are terrified of it, It's what my grandfather does for his ponds.

Just go out a couple of times and scare them off.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
I understand that bird flu is transmitted primarily though bird feces. I suspect that the Canada goose will become even less popular around here if the flu hits birds here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:04:33 PM EDT
Water fowl are migratory birds

it is a Federal violation to shoot them in an illegal manner.

Do so , get caught, and you will never own a firearm again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
I do shoot every single sparrow and starling/blackbird I see as I view them as ferral pests. I believe it is legal to kill those birds.

I'd check your states game laws if I were you. In Ohio it is not legal to kill non game birds. I can't imagine it is legal in Mo.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:44:57 PM EDT
This could be a disaster around here with bird flu. Huge flocks of resident geese at the local park as well as at my work. They leave feathers and shit everywhere. Liberals stop any effort to cull the flocks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:51:53 PM EDT
Do your neighbors have a problem with the birds? If so in many states it is legal to kill animals out of season if they are damaging property or are a pest. Look into it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:04:02 PM EDT
you'd better kill every bird you see.

...or the bird flu will break into your house, murder you, have its way with your pets, torch the house, and then destroy the entire world! oh noes, it's the bird flu! everybody run!

sorry, but i'm sick of hearing about the fluasian bird flu. don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:05:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:
Well there's something I didn't think about. What about dove hunting?

I'm an avid waterfowler, I think that this may have been my last season for a while. We'll see what's happening next fall, but it sounds like the decoys are going to get dusty...... Mocha the Java(my chocolate lab an best hunting buddy) thinks bird flu sux.

Sorry to say it, but same goes for dove hunting.

Basically, if it's fowl, it's foul, once bird flu makes it into US migratory bird population. Not gonna take the chance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:05:43 PM EDT
Do what the golf courses do. They use dogs trained to chase the geese away and also use load noise, like a shotgun. Bird B Gone Do a search, www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scaring+geese+away&btnG=Google+Search
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 9:55:25 PM EDT by NME]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:36:14 PM EDT
If bird flu becomes a problem, the birds will no longer be part of the problem.

It simply won't matter, because if the bird flu becomes a serious problem, it's because it's transmitting human-to-human.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
I don't know of any birds that migrate over the Atlantic or Pacific oceans.

Bird flu would have to be brought over by birds or humans who have traveled by plane or boat from Europe or Asia and contracted the disease.
Top Top