Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/26/2007 3:48:02 PM EST
This may not be the place for this but I didn't see a section dedicated to binoculars.

I need a good pair of binoculars for a prarrie dog trip this summer, I'm tired of the cheap junk that never seems to be in focus. I was looking at Steiners in the 10x50 range, but I am not really sure what the difference in models is other than price. What are the major difference between models such as the Rallye, Police, Military/Marine. I know the Military-R models have a fancy reticle which I don't know.

I really didn't want to spend more than $300 on Binoculars so I was looking at the Rallye and Police model. Any reason I should stay away from the cheaper Steieners?

Are there other Brands you would you recomend in this size and price range in stead of Steiners?

TIA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 3:59:31 PM EST by PAEBR332]
I have never liked Steiners. And unless you are going to use them on a solid mount, avoid 10x. 8x should be plenty. If you need more magnification than that, you should be using a spotting scope.

As for recommendations in that price range, look at Pentax, Leupold, Swift and Bushnell. Avoid going any cheaper. Buy only fully-multicoated optics. Comparison shop.

If you really want an eye opener, look through a pair of A-level binos like Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica or the high end Nikons and Leupolds. The view will blow you away (but so will the price).
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:59:31 PM EST
No experience with Steiners, I have Nikon Monarchs and I am extremely happy with them.
IMO $300 is the least you should spend on binos. Quality costs extra but you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:01:29 PM EST
I got Nikon Active model in 10x50. I got them at Cabelas for 120.00. They are very clear and easy to use.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:03:09 PM EST
Try the sample list at SWFA.

Only thing I have to add is that 10x may be hard to hold steady.

Better info can be found at www.opticstalk.com/
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:04:54 PM EST
I spent over an hour at the Optics counter at bass pro and another hour at Sportsmans looking at all the binos. For the money my favorite by far was the Steiner Merlin 8x42.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:10:44 PM EST
Steiner Military 10 x 50's, I make my living with them daily and wouldn't use anything else (as long as I had a choice)
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:11:59 PM EST
Steiner 8x30 military marine...tough...clear...no range finding recticle...focus is set and forget..I like em so much I bought em
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:13:33 PM EST
I really like my Leupold wind river cascades. $300 from Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:35:07 PM EST
opticsspot.com/
1-866-205-6008

My brother-in-law, Chris, owns the place. He is WAY into binoculars.
Give him a call, he will steer you right.

Good Luck
Bill
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:42:35 AM EST
I would be using these more for searching the fields for p-dogs then looking at groups on a paper target, so I defenatly don't need the extra power a spotting scope would offer.

I'm using Stieners as a bench mark because that is what one of the guys in our party used on a previous trip. The Marine model seems to be about the middle of the line for Stieners so thats where my price extimations came from. Plus I am looking for something that I can focus to my eyes and forget about, which is another reason I was looking at the Steiners.

Unfortunatly, the only sporting goods stores around here that have a slecection of Binoculars are Dick's Sporting goods and Gander Mountain, neither have anything high end.

I know the other companies mentioned above make good quality stuff to, which makes things harder becuase now I have 6 other brands to look at which I also know very little about. Any recomendations on specific models from other companies that would fit my needs? I think I'm looking for fixed power in the 7-10 range, with large lens to let in more light and increase field of view, plus I don't want to have to mess around with constantly focusing at different ranges.

Top Top