Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2013 9:58:57 AM EDT
ghey are they?

Im always looking for a fun little 2 seater vert to throw around but none seem to either be priced right, get good reviews, or make you not look like a douche.

newer Mr2s are slow, S2ks are pricey for a fun car, miatas get the best reviews but... well its a miata. So what about the Z's?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Miata is not gay if it's sportified...... hardtop, rollcage, etc  
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
ghey are they?

Im always looking for a fun little 2 seater vert to throw around but none seem to either be priced right, get good reviews, or make you not look like a douche.

newer Mr2s are slow, S2ks are pricey for a fun car, miatas get the best reviews but... well its a miata. So what about the Z's?

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We have one. An '01 Z3, with a 5 speed, and the 3.0 I6 engine. I work at a Toyota dealer, and can tell you that a FRS/BRZ probably wont keep up with a Z3.

Our Z3 is a blast to drive, handles pretty good, and has awesome brakes, too. It'll pull all the mountain grades out here, in 5th at 90+, no problem. So far, I haven't ran in  to anything drastically expensive, or ridiculously hard to repair. We did a ton of research before we bought it, so knew about all the quirks, and weird stuff before we bought it.

If your comfortable with your sexuality, and don't care what people think about you, get one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Z4. Kind of wish I wasn't selling it.  I will probably own another one someday.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We have one. An '01 Z3, with a 5 speed, and the 3.0 I6 engine. I work at a Toyota dealer, and can tell you that a FRS/BRZ probably wont keep up with a Z3.

Our Z3 is a blast to drive, handles pretty good, and has awesome brakes, too. It'll pull all the mountain grades out here, in 5th at 90+, no problem. So far, I haven't ran in  to anything drastically expensive, or ridiculously hard to repair. We did a ton of research before we bought it, so knew about all the quirks, and weird stuff before we bought it.

If your comfortable with your sexuality, and don't care what people think about you, get one.

About one second slower to 60 (~6.3s) and 0.8 seconds slower through the quarter (15s)  The same or better regarding handling and braking.

Decent for its intended purpose.  If Subaru releases a turbo version it will be even better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Ghey if you care what other MEN think about you.  

A friend had a Z4 that was a fun drive.  It had an automatic gearbox, but it was still fun.  I've driven Miata, S2000, Z4 and owned a Boxster.  All of them have their good points (Miata is fun all around, and is the least expensive, the S2000 has phenomenal brakes and a great shifter, the Z4 was fun but a little quirky, and the Boxster was, well, the Boxster is THE roadster every other roadster wants to be!)
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ghey are they?

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S

Way too underpowered.

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
ghey are they?

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S

Way too underpowered.

Until the BRZ-STI, which is coming and will be turbo'd...
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
ghey are they?

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S

Way too underpowered.

Do you say the same thing about the Miata?

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
My Dad has a '96 Z3, first model year with the 1.9L I4. It's a fun little car. He loves the thing. He could have traded up for an M Roadster at some point but never has, and at least one of his ZSCCA friends who did ultimately ended up back in a 1.9.

They're not the fastest things in the universe, but they're just a blast to drive.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
For me, it would be the Miata. I had an 06 for about 5 years, and it was the most fun sports car I've had. The 370Z hugely outperforms it, but the Miata was more FUN.

Especially with the price difference to the other options out there, its no question to me. You can get a nice Club spec, go for some basic upgrades, and still be cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you say the same thing about the Miata?

I'm convinced that Metroplex is actually a data mining bot that collects negative anecdotal evidence and regurgitates it on this forum.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my Z, had it 10 yrs now

Link Posted: 2/11/2013 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ghey are they?

Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S

Way too underpowered.

Some people like to turn a steering wheel now and then, not just go in a straight line.

OP, the Z4s are awesome. Very flickable through the corners, wonderful road feedback.  Get the hardtop, convertibles are the suck.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#16]
your nuts

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
For two  years straight I scoured every dealer between ny and texas looking for the last transitional year Z3 that they crammed the e46 motor into. I would of killed for one of those. If you cant appreciate that motor in a 2800 pound roadster specifically with that last gen rear suspension setup they were still using you clearly are not a a car guy.

BMW handling, BMW steering response and feedback, Brembos, arguably the smoothest engine configuration ever designed, and the only naturally balanced engine in existence with the exception of a v-12, laying down 330 hp and absolutely throaty as all hell... 300 mm rubber on that short wheelbase and a few hundred pounds lighter than its already legendary big brother.

The Z4's are also very impressive, I've owned 2 m3's in the past and I still think that the 300hp bi-turbo is a gem especially for a DD, its a throwback in many ways to the 540is, wolf in sheeps clothing.

Also after swearing up and down for years that id never own a convertible, I own one now and I must say that the idea of a folding hardtop would be worth the weight penalty.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ghey if you care what other MEN think about you.  

A friend had a Z4 that was a fun drive.  It had an automatic gearbox, but it was still fun.  I've driven Miata, S2000, Z4 and owned a Boxster.  All of them have their good points (Miata is fun all around, and is the least expensive, the S2000 has phenomenal brakes and a great shifter, the Z4 was fun but a little quirky, and the Boxster was, well, the Boxster is THE roadster every other roadster wants to be!)

maybe, if every other roadster wanted to just give away 50 or more horses to drop down to the boxesters level while also adding an arbitary markup of a couple 10 thousand or so to msrp. But ya, I can apreciate where your comign from, the boxster was kinda an odd experiment went if first debuted as one of hte big 3 all those years ago. PCA guys like me were convinced it was the beginning of the end and that Porsche was once again repeating their same mistake over again for the 200th time and introducting a non 911 with reduced performance to appeal to rich soccer moms and guys who want the badge and the look but cant even drive a stick.

As it turns out after everyone including myself started getting our asses handed to us on the track and getting absolutely spanked with authority at any autocross or SCCA series, I quickly started to really really admire the just how amazing that mid engine layout really was.  I would of never swung for the boxester-s over the C4s because teh price gap was way to close, but I can definitely apreciate that it is a real drivers car and ultimately it started a period a major growth for the company after introducing a model that appealed to both the rich, slushbox, golf bag crowd as well as the true enthusiast.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top