Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 2:20:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 2:21:04 PM EST by KA3B]
Gates: Microsoft to offer anti-spyware
Published: October 1, 2004, 5:20 PM PDT

By Ina Fried
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--Microsoft plans to offer its own anti-spyware software, Chairman Bill Gates said Friday.

Gates said Microsoft will offer software to detect malicious applications and that the company will keep it up-to-date on an ongoing basis. He did not say when the software would be available or whether Microsoft would charge for it.

Although progress is being made against spam and viruses, Gates said the adware and malware problem is getting worse.

"This malware thing is so bad," he said in a speech at the Computer History Museum here. "Now that's the one that has us really needing to jump in."

It's also a problem that has affected Gates personally. He said his home PCs have had malware, although he has personally never been affected by a virus.

"I have had malware, (adware), that crap" on some home machines, he said.

Gates' comments came at the end of a busy Bay Area tour. Earlier Friday, Gates addressed a group of engineering students at the University of California at Berkeley.

Microsoft has been testing a for-fee antivirus product, though the company has not announced details of how it will offer it. The company purchased Romanian antivirus firm GeCad in 2003.

A Microsoft representative did not immediately have further details on the company's plans.

Another looming problem, Gates said, is the password.

"People hate changing their password," Gates said. "They pick very guessable passwords."

The industry will have to move to smart cards or some kind of biometric recognition for authentication.

"It will take five or six years," he said. "There's no doubt that has to come."

http://news.com.com/Gates+Microsoft+to+offer+anti-spyware/2100-7355_3-5393208.html
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:26:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 2:32:34 PM EST by warlord]
Someone should inform Bill Gates there are several good programs to get rid of malware, adware etc already and he doesn't have to re-invent the wheel, it's known Ad-aware and Spybot. And it's FREE! Maybe someone can email Bill and let him know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:27:46 PM EST
25% of our calls (cable ISP) in tech support are about this kind of crap.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:29:18 PM EST
Everyday I inch a little closer to purchasing an Apple/MAC.

MT
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:34:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 2:37:53 PM EST by vito113]

Originally Posted By MT_Pockets:
Everyday I inch a little closer to purchasing an Apple/MAC.

MT

Do so… I run OS10.3.5 … virus, hacker, adware, spyware and trojan free system…

""People hate changing their password," Gates said. "They pick very guessable passwords."
The industry will have to move to smart cards or some kind of biometric recognition for authentication.
"It will take five or six years," he said. "There's no doubt that has to come."

5-6 years!!!!!!! Hey Bill! You can buy fingerprint recognition sytems cheaply for PC's for over a year now… Hello Bill, welcome to the past

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:45:06 PM EST
The reason why there are no Virus' or malware for apple is because nobody bothers writing them for the MAC. Why? CAUSE NO ONE OWNS A MAC!! not anymore! even the most viscious viruses and trojans get frustrated at mac being incompatable with all the rest of the PC OS's. When interviewed on Wired magazine, the 'mydoom666' virus had this to say- "come on, it's 2004 not 1982, The fact that Mac is still incompatable with pc's is a fucking joke." The interviewer was quick to point out that there is emulation software, to which the malicious code replied...."oh yeah right, for only like $400 extra I can run windows proggies at half the speed an intel or AMD can, Apple, Blow me!"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:47:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By t-stox:
The reason why there are no Virus' or malware for apple is because nobody bothers writing them for the MAC. Why? CAUSE NO ONE OWNS A MAC!! not anymore!

Uh? Guess what the US Military runs its web servers on? Macs… because they got so pissed off at the ease of hacking PC's

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:51:55 PM EST
Or it might possibly be that the standard mac OS, web browser, and mail reader aren't full of security holes?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:53:27 PM EST
Not the Navy...and that's all I can say.

Originally Posted By vito113:

The reason why there are no Virus' or malware for apple is because nobody bothers writing them for the MAC. Why? CAUSE NO ONE OWNS A MAC!! not anymore!

Uh? Guess what the US Military runs its web servers on? Macs… because they got so pissed off at the ease of hacking PC's

Andy

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:54:18 PM EST
instead of making a removal program why doesn't he just make winblows immune to this shit
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:54:38 PM EST

Andy

I thought the US Military used Linux (or is it Unix)? Oh well, maybe I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:47:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2004 3:47:46 PM EST by vito113]

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Not the Navy...and that's all I can say.

Andy

Correct… that should read 'Army'…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:51:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sumo2000:

Andy

I thought the US Military used Linux (or is it Unix)? Oh well, maybe I'm wrong.

Current Mac OS is based on BSD Unix, all macs could run AUX (unix) from the year dot…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:51:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:54:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
incorrect they are running linux on IBM INTEL based servers. I support many of them :)

Ah well…times change, so long Webstar…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:56:31 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:58:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:07:50 PM EST

Yeah, I'd like to hear you tell that to the 90% of the print design industry that still uses Mac, and some of the higher end folks like Pixar and ILM that use Macs as well. I'll tell you like I tell all the nitwit IT nerds at my job, -"When you can convince all of the design industry to move to PC then I will do the same and we can stop this drivel, until then, shut the fuck up."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:10:45 PM EST

incorrect they are running linux on IBM INTEL based servers. I support many of them :)

Ah well…times change, so long Webstar…

Andy

I have not seen any apple hardware in the 8years i have been supporting them. Lots of IBM,some sun, and HP. Recently LOTS of dell servers as well.

www.macworld.com/news/2004/06/21/xservearmy/

Apple sells 1566 Xserves for U.S. Army research

Apple Computer Inc. will announce on Monday the sale of 1566 dual processor 1U rack-mount 64-bit Xserve G5 servers to COLSA Corp., which will be used to build what is expected to be one of the fastest supercomputers in the world. The US$5.8 million cluster will be used to model the complex aero-thermodynamics of hypersonic flight for the U.S. Army.

The Xserve G5 supercluster system is expected to be online and working for the Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) division of the US Army Research and Development Command by late Fall.

www.macobserver.com/news/99/september/990914/webstararmy.html

StarNine Makes It Official - WebSTAR/MacOS Replaces Win NT For Army

Reported earlier on several Mac web sites, StarNine has made it official that their product, WebSTAR, and the MacOS replaced Windows NT for serving the Army's web site at http://www.army.mil/. StarNine has since issued a press release doing a little deserved bragging, and we are bringing it to you.

StarNine Technologies, Inc. today announced the US Army's main Web site, <http://www.army.mil/>, is now being served by StarNine's WebSTAR Server Suite(tm) software on the Mac OS(R). The Army site had previously been served from a Windows(R) NT-based server when it was hacked in late June by a 19-year old Wisconsin man who was thoroughly investigated by the Army's Criminal Investigation Command and arrested on August 30 for malicious altering. After careful evaluation of WebSTAR on the Mac OS and review of the World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) favorable reports on WebSTAR's security, the switch to WebSTAR on the Mac OS has been completed. The W3C's general security analysis can be found at <http://www.w3.org/Security/faq/wwwsf1.html>.
Top Top