Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 4:04:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. He's claiming it would be racist if we rejected the UAE port sale.

Christ......
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the replacement of one company (P&O) by another.  It is a management contract in which the CG still patrols and the union thugs are still on the take.  This issue has been misreported by people with axes to grind and money to suck up....politicians and main stream media types.

Get your act together and find out what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a sale, the UAE company is trying to buy the UK company.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Emirate company is buying the management company (a Brit Company) that is presently managing (not owning) a half dozen or so US ports.  Security is still US.

No US company manages US ports or is in that business apparently.

I don't think this is a big deal.  We're only inspecting around 2% of the container imports right now.  Now we'll have an Arab country working side by side with us as they did in the Gulf War.

You can't have it all one way.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The ports are not being sold.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ports are not being sold.

The compaby managing the ports is being bought, hence it's a sale.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's not a sale.  It is a management contract in which the CG still patrols and the union thugs are still on the take.  This issue has been misreported by people with axes to grind and money to suck up....politicians and main stream media types.

I don't give a shit.  Allowing a Muslim nation with documented ties to terrorisim to have control (in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM) over vital national assets is insane on the face of it.  It's cut and dried in my book.

The very fact that the President doesn't seem to get that, just shows out of touch he with with the people that elected him to office.  NOTHING should matter but the issue of proctecting the citizens of the United States FIRST, not this PC bullshit babble coming out about why he'll veto any attempt to block this deal.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Emirate company is buying the management company (a Brit Company) that is presently managing (not owning) a half dozen or so US ports.  Security is still US.

I don't think this is a big deal.  We're only inspecting around 2% of the container imports right now.  Now we'll have an Arab country working side by side with us as they did in the Gulf War.

No, that is not true.  The Port of Los Angeles manages the Port of Los Angeles.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Bill O'Reilly supports the sale of US ports to the UAE

And the AW ban. What else is new?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Mr. Oreilly reminds me a lot of that other asshat, Bill Maher. Except Oreilly is not funny a comedian.

He's an independent/libertarian/ that leans to the right, while Maher leans left.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mr. Oreilly reminds me a lot of that other asshat, Bill Maher. Except Oreilly is not funny a comedian.

He's an independent/libertarian/ that leans to the right, while Maher leans left.

Sorry Captain, Oreilly is no where near libertarian in any sense of the word.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard today that Hush supports it also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
One thing people need to realize is that UAE is a member of OPEC and has been on our side when countries like Venezuela have tried to raise oil prices or even worse switch oil prices from dollars to euros. I think it's in our interest to do the deal. A switch to euros would hit our economy hard. Like was said earlier, P&O is only a management company. For instance, the Port of New Orleans allows P&O to manage it but that lease could be revoked if the government wanted. This is a bunch of fear mongering, we barely inspect cargo as it is. Not like we are going from Safe to unsafe. More like unsafe to unsafe. You aren't going to see UAE personnel working your docks. The deal will get done, everyone will forget about this, and the politicians will find they're next opportunity to get the masses all in a huff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Bill O'Rieley is a fucking idiot.

Oh, and I love the way that Bush sits there and chatters about how it's a threat to national security to have us dependant on nations with ties to terrorism for our oil, but then says it'd be OK to have a nation with ties to terrorism managing what comes in and out of our ports.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry Captain, Oreilly is no where near libertarian in any sense of the word.

Aha, a libertarian. Oreilly does hate government intervention and involvement but in only specific cases that he picks and chooses.

What I should have said is Oreilly is a fascist/communist/leftist/right-wing/libertarian that reminds me of Maher.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The Chinese run Long Beach port thanks to Klinton
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not a sale.  It is a management contract in which the CG still patrols and the union thugs are still on the take.  This issue has been misreported by people with axes to grind and money to suck up....politicians and main stream media types.

I don't give a shit.  Allowing a Muslim nation with documented ties to terrorisim to have control (in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM) over vital national assets is insane on the face of it.  It's cut and dried in my book.

The very fact that the President doesn't seem to get that, just shows out of touch he with with the people that elected him to office.  NOTHING should matter but the issue of proctecting the citizens of the United States FIRST, not this PC bullshit babble coming out about why he'll veto any attempt to block this deal.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One thing people need to realize is that UAE is a member of OPEC and has been on our side when countries like Venezuela have tried to raise oil prices or even worse switch oil prices from dollars to euros. I think it's in our interest to do the deal. A switch to euros would hit our economy hard. Like was said earlier, P&O is only a management company. For instance, the Port of New Orleans allows P&O to manage it but that lease could be revoked if the government wanted. This is a bunch of fear mongering, we barely inspect cargo as it is. Not like we are going from Safe to unsafe. More like unsafe to unsafe. You aren't going to see UAE personnel working your docks. The deal will get done, everyone will forget about this, and the politicians will find they're next opportunity to get the masses all in a huff.

How does that carry any weight as the UAE uses the corporation to launder Al Qaeda money on our shores, while we arrest organizations that try to raise money here?  They are known to launder AQ money.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Port of Los Angeles is NOT a company, nor is it run by a company.  the Port of LA is run by the city Harbor Department.

It's much ado about nothing. None of the security, defense, lower level operations change.  Your're talking about the managing company that coordinates the leases for various facilities to other companies.  I guess you guys figure all the longshoremen, truckdrivers, etc etc etc are now going to turn traitor.

The Coast Guard Captain of the Port, Customs, Immigration, Corps of Engineers (some ports), City Fire Departments all retain all their current powers and responsibilities.  The Pilots Associations, etc stay the same.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#21]
We all hate Bill O'Reilly here anyway.  And for the record, I personally don't think that ANY foreign government entity (or even a foreign private company with no ties to its government) should have any kind of control over our ports, including England.  I'll have to admit that I don't know much on this subject as of now, but this is my preliminary (uneducated) opinion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the Port of Los Angeles is a business.  It's a Port Authority.  What these management companies do is improve infrastructure to speed handling of cargo etc.  They'll still have to deal with the stevedore and other unions.  If you try and get improvement in port facilities from a government run deal then you'll be paying higher taxes to fund bonds for these things.  It's like saying a private company cannot build a decent road, only our beloved CALTRANS.  When you think about this you will see that the Dubai government is heavily into this with capital from their oil business.  They want to be in the general trade business with booming Asia.  A Singapore company was the other bidder but dropped out when the price got too high for them.  Dubai probably overpaid but they're flush with oil based capital and must put it to work SOMEWHERE.

ETA, remember when we worried that the Japanese were going to buy up all of California back about 20 or so years ago and how they lost their ass in the long run and paid way too much.  They had a lot of cash and couldn't invest it in their own country so they spent it here.  I'm thinking this is the same thing but the oil guys may be a little smarter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One thing people need to realize is that UAE is a member of OPEC and has been on our side when countries like Venezuela have tried to raise oil prices or even worse switch oil prices from dollars to euros. I think it's in our interest to do the deal. A switch to euros would hit our economy hard. Like was said earlier, P&O is only a management company. For instance, the Port of New Orleans allows P&O to manage it but that lease could be revoked if the government wanted.

What good would that do after something happend?

This is a bunch of fear mongering, we barely inspect cargo as it is. Not like we are going from Safe to unsafe. More like unsafe to unsafe. You aren't going to see UAE personnel working your docks.

They might not be working the docks but will they be staffing the port?  Will the have complete access to the docks, the offices, the ships, all the buildings...ect?  Yes.  Will they be the one's in charge controlling who can unload, load, and ship? Yes?  So basically they would have complete controll and complete access to whatever they wanted.  Why would a terrorist want to be a grunt when they could be part of the management company with complete access to pretty much whatever they wanted without any questions?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I suspect that every Fortune 500 company has some of their stock owned by Muslims.  This is a big deal about nothing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Port of Los Angeles is NOT a company, nor is it run by a company.  the Port of LA is run by the city Harbor Department.

It's much ado about nothing. None of the security, defense, lower level operations change.  Your're talking about the managing company that coordinates the leases for various facilities to other companies.  I guess you guys figure all the longshoremen, truckdrivers, etc etc etc are now going to turn traitor.

The Coast Guard Captain of the Port, Customs, Immigration, Corps of Engineers (some ports), City Fire Departments all retain all their current powers and responsibilities.  The Pilots Associations, etc stay the same.

Incorrect, I should have been more clear in my original rebutal.

The Port of Los Angeles is an entity or department of the City of LA.  But the Port of Los Angeles (entity) manages the operations of the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters).  Portions of the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters) are leased by the Port of Los Angeles (entity) to various operators/shippers such as P&O Nedloyd, Hanjin, etc. in the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters).  The Port of Los Angeles (entity) brings in its own revenue, spends that revenue, tries to be as profitable as possible, and is basically operates like an actual company.

Also, ACOE would have some jurisdiction over all Port waters and any work therein.

Regarding the UAE purchase, while the on-the ground management and security would be in place, I am still pretty leary about giving that country as much control over the Ports as they would be granted.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#26]
much ado about nothing....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's the replacement of one company (P&O) by another.  It is a management contract in which the CG still patrols and the union thugs are still on the take.  This issue has been misreported by people with axes to grind and money to suck up....politicians and main stream media types.

+eleventy gazillion
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect, I should have been more clear in my original rebutal.

The Port of Los Angeles is an entity or department of the City of LA.  But the Port of Los Angeles (entity) manages the operations of the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters).  Portions of the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters) are leased by the Port of Los Angeles (entity) to various operators/shippers such as P&O Nedloyd, Hanjin, etc. in the Port of Los Angeles (the actual berthing areas and harbor waters).  The Port of Los Angeles (entity) brings in its own revenue, spends that revenue, tries to be as profitable as possible, and is basically operates like an actual company.

Also, ACOE would have some jurisdiction over all Port waters and any work therein.

Regarding the UAE purchase, while the on-the ground management and security would be in place, I am still pretty leary about giving that country as much control over the Ports as they would be granted.

As opposed to P&O which is how much Chinese owned now? (IIRC about 30%but might be 0%)  In any case the point is is that it is only the top level management, everything below that belongs to the companies that lease or own port facilities.  They basically handle the finances and that's it unless they have one or two terminals for their own shipping.  They don't have the ability to intermingle themselfs into the bowels of the ships, the loading off-loading facilities, etc.  They are no more or no less able to start or stop stuff getting smuggled in.  Well maybe they can tighten things down, but almost impossible to loosen things up.  If somebody wants to smuggle a nuke in aboard a container, nothing has really changed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top